Damp readings upto 60%. Gutted

Ste 1984

Afternoon folks,

At this time of year and especilly after the wettest winter on record, all vans should I say wood absorbs acertaian amout of water even pvc ,s, this is quite often shown up in sticking drawers. If I were you I would get another reading in june by another dealer.

norm

First of all don't Panic, we had a similar situation in 2012, after a habitation check on our 2006 Autotrail Mohican M/H damp(water ingress) was found in a number of places ,it even showed up as mould on wall fitted Material, we took ours to Crossleys in Leyland who once repaired a wind damage caravan for us so we knew their reputation, Crossleys resealed the whole of the Motorhome which cost some £2000.

when we came to part exchange the Motorhome I showed the receipt for the work which had been carried out to the dealer and he then carried out his own Damp check with a commercial Damp meter, in doing so he showed me his damp meter in operation and the different settings which could make a slightly moist part of the M/H sound on his meter like it was really bad damp he also explained this, I was very pleased with my dealings with this company which is a home based small firm, he checked my M/H over and stuck with the price he had offered me over the Phone. he stated Most People Panic when they are told they have damp in their M/H, but the vast Majority are easily sorted, and last as long as most other M/H.

I watched the progress of our Autotrail which he sold within two weeks of our part exchange ,but it was a great Motorhome, we just needed a fixed Bed. By the by we holidayed in France  for the month before the re sealing took place.  If your roof leak on your house you don't condemn the house do you ?  , Safe journeys. 

RogerC - 2014-02-25 3:08 PM

That led to the question 'If I was paying how much would it cost?   

Rog C. That does alter the thread somewhat if 'as a matter of personal interest'. But in my 45 years of trading there never were any queries, no doubt because all my finished work was perfect !!

Will85 - 2014-02-26 5:47 PM
RogerC - 2014-02-25 3:08 PMThat led to the question 'If I was paying how much would it cost?   
Rog C. That does alter the thread somewhat if 'as a matter of personal interest'. But in my 45 years of trading there never were any queries, no doubt because all my finished work was perfect !!

Will...my dealings with the company doing the work was nothing to do with quality concerns so I am assuming you're going down the wrong track here.  Actually the repair was so good I had to be shown exactly what had been done....and they fixed a couple of things I didn't even know needed fixing so their work, like yours, was perfect.

Quite simply our MH had damp, it was being repaired under warranty and I was interested in the extent of repairs required hence I wanted to know exactly what they would be doing.  Knowing exactly what was what helped validate the expense in maintaining the warranty.  Warranty work or otherwise I want to know chapter and verse exactly what is being done to my property.  In the case of our MH it was just an additional bit of information, knowing the 'retail price of rectification', which completed the picture.

Guest JudgeMental
Corky 8 - 2014-02-26 4:55 PM

First of all don't Panic, we had a similar situation in 2012, after a habitation check on our 2006 Autotrail Mohican M/H damp(water ingress) was found in a number of places ,it even showed up as mould on wall fitted Material, we took ours to Crossleys in Leyland who once repaired a wind damage caravan for us so we knew their reputation, Crossleys resealed the whole of the Motorhome which cost some £2000.

when we came to part exchange the Motorhome I showed the receipt for the work which had been carried out to the dealer and he then carried out his own Damp check with a commercial Damp meter, in doing so he showed me his damp meter in operation and the different settings which could make a slightly moist part of the M/H sound on his meter like it was really bad damp he also explained this, I was very pleased with my dealings with this company which is a home based small firm, he checked my M/H over and stuck with the price he had offered me over the Phone. he stated Most People Panic when they are told they have damp in their M/H, but the vast Majority are easily sorted, and last as long as most other M/H.

I watched the progress of our Autotrail which he sold within two weeks of our part exchange ,but it was a great Motorhome, we just needed a fixed Bed. By the by we holidayed in France  for the month before the re sealing took place.  If your roof leak on your house you don't condemn the house do you ?  , Safe journeys. 

I found crossleys really impressive when they gave me quotes for my damage back in 2010. Straightforward and honest, and if they had been nearer we would have used them. I can imagine many panicking when a dishonest dealer surveys a vehicle, always get a second opinion.......

Archived