How long approximately

Poppy

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2014-02-24 5:20 PM

Its a large volume manufacturer.Laika.

The way i think it works is they do vans in runs, depending on models and if RHD or LHD. RHD should be a smaller run i would think and not so often, I know thats how Hymer work..... what's your concern..and what is dealer saying to you?

Auto-Trail  have factory tours at their Grimsby site every month on the last Thursday and Friday starting at 10am which lasts 3 hours , you have to book in advance , but its well worth taking the time go to actually see what go's into producing a motorhome and how its all assembled . Booking details are on there web-site.

JudgeMental - 2014-02-24 5:31 PM

The way i think it works is they do vans in runs, depending on models and if RHD or LHD. RHD should be a smaller run i would think and not so often, I know thats how Hymer work..... what's your concern..and what is dealer saying to you?

No concern.Laika have told dealer that it should be finished on 15th March if all goes well.Think he has ordered at least 2 from them.Just getting excited that's all.Wondering if they have started it yet.Dealer did say originally we should get it at the end of March so it looks as though everything is going to plan.

Poppy - 2014-02-24 5:53 PM

No concern.Laika have told dealer that it should be finished on 15th March if all goes well.Think he has ordered at least 2 from them.Just getting excited that's all.Wondering if they have started it yet.Dealer did say originally we should get it at the end of March so it looks as though everything is going to plan.

Should add the husband in hospital awaiting surgery.Should make a very full recovery but looking forward to the van is keeping us going a bit.

Apart from what has been said delays may arise at the van manufacturers for a variety of reasons, one is that various countries are allotted a quota, ordering only two may be over ridden, also take into account that if the base vehicle is manufactured overseas their employees may be involved in an industrial dispute.

The UK convertor can only comment on his own assembly times, once it arrives at his plant.

Guest JudgeMental
Indeed........ its called economies of scale and quality control and offers proper value for money!.... something sorely lacking in UK backstreet production.

Poppy - 2014-02-24 5:53 PM

No concern.Laika have told dealer that it should be finished on 15th March if all goes well.Think he has ordered at least 2 from them.Just getting excited that's all.Wondering if they have started it yet.Dealer did say originally we should get it at the end of March so it looks as though everything is going to plan.[/quote

As you speak someone has just dropped a screw down the back of something which will rattle for evermore and drive you crazy, or does this just happen to me?]

Indeed, indeed. How about a nine month wait (originally quoted three months for delivery) for a Globecar to be built only to find that vans spec was wrong. Walked away and am now a proud owner of an East Neuk Fifer.

Regards, Robert.

Bobbetty - 2014-02-25 2:41 PM

Indeed, indeed. How about a nine month wait (originally quoted three months for delivery) for a Globecar to be built only to find that vans spec was wrong. Walked away and am now a proud owner of an East Neuk Fifer.

Regards, Robert.

When I wasworking in Libya building the University of Tripoli one of the phases was won by a German contractor. When they first got started we were made a bit anxious by the efficiency with which they organised themslves because we would have to sharpen up our act. They set out the first building and asked us to check it. Perfect, except that the whole thing was out of position. Then a few weeks later we had to check the steel reinforcement before concreting. Perfect, except that for a large part of the work they had used the wrong bar diameters.

Guest JudgeMental
Muswell - 2014-02-25 5:04 PM

Regards, Robert.

When I wasworking in Libya building the University of Tripoli one of the phases was won by a German contractor. When they first got started we were made a bit anxious by the efficiency with which they organised themslves because we would have to sharpen up our act. They set out the first building and asked us to check it. Perfect, except that the whole thing was out of position. Then a few weeks later we had to check the steel reinforcement before concreting. Perfect, except that for a large part of the work they had used the wrong bar diameters.

I worked in construction/construction management all my life on major projects...what you are describing is poor control and bad management...what it has to do with motorhome production heaven knows...but I guess your implication is that small bespoke UK back street abortions, which are more expensive because of lack of orders and resources are in some way superior to well designed and built, reasonably priced european vans......laughable.....deluded or what!lol

JudgeMental - 2014-02-25 7:36 PM

Regards, Robert.

I worked in construction/construction management all my life on major projects...what you are describing is poor control and bad management...what it has to do with motorhome production heaven knows...but I guess your implication is that small bespoke UK back street abortions, which are more expensive because of lack of orders and resources are in some way superior to well designed and built, reasonably priced european vans......laughable.....deluded or what!lol

Nothing to do with motorhomes, just the idea that the Germans never get it wrong.

Delfin Driver - 2014-02-25 6:28 PM

Hi Poppy,

We too are awaiting our Laika- from Southdown Motorhomes. We have been given a provisional date of 15th March for the handover as they are building it round about now.

Hope your husband has a speedy recovery.

Susan

Many thanks.We are buying ours from Peake Motorhomes and have been told completion of motorhome on the 15th.Perhaps I misunderstood!!!

Guest JudgeMental
Muswell - 2014-02-25 8:11 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-02-25 7:36 PM

Regards, Robert.

Nothing to do with motorhomes, just the idea that the Germans never get it wrong.

Jeez..look at their manufacturing economy and investment in their own people! Where our so called recovery fuelled by Consumer spending which is apparently fuelled by PPI payouts! We are a basket case in comparison, if UK campers were competitive on quality/price they would sell Europe wide. But they don't do they *-)

I think the dates they give you Poppy are a rough estimate, we were told ours would be ready end of August 2012, we had it end of Sept which could have been worse! it will give your hubby time to convalesce anyway (lol) just try not to get him too excited. ;-)

and happy travels when it comes.

I have had a succession of Hymers,usually 'bought off the shelf'. My current vehicle was ordered in October 2009 and I was told at the beginning of November that there was a rhd chassis available and it should be ready by February. I finally took delivery of it in April! Hymer no longer drive the vehicles over on trade plates,they now come on a transporter-no doubt someone with an anally retentive condition will provide evidence to prove me wrong,

Perhaps Hymer realised the drivers were flogging the nuts off the new engines on their way over to the U/K. I would prefer mine to be delivered intact on a transporter.

Archived