campsite loos - are they important to you?

RussS Travel Editor

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prefer sites with facilities of some sort, although not bothered about them being 'hotel standard' (yes - there is a site near us that shouts about this feature!)

Just so long as you don't have to wipe your feet on the way out I'm OK with sites with old loo blocks.

We're not the sort who want to replicate our immaculate home* in every way when we travel - quite like quirky places - they tend to have quirky amenities.

Our camper has a very small loo and shower so only used in emergencies.

* (our actual home isn't immaculate - but you know what I mean :) )

A lot depends on the type of site, if its a C.L type then no as long as there is the emptying facilities, but on larger camp sites the Loo and facilities have to be well kept and clean that is why we use club sites as I know they have a high standard of cleanliness in this country, and abroad it is the first thing I look at :-D if I'm paying good money for a camp site I want good facilities.

Toilet blocks? Well IF I've arrived at a camp site the first thing I view is the 'facilities' if you are paying for them than they should be wholesome, but usually before finding Loos that I wouldn't even send certain members to then I will have looked at the pool, now in winter you can learn a lot about a site by the state of the pool, black and leaf clogged shows how understaffed/only want to meet basic standards they are, limpid water even with blocks of ice shows a willingness to go that bit further, maybe it's pride?

Brian Kirby - 2014-02-25 4:41 PM

Your question refers to loos, usually taken to mean toilets. For us, the facilities (toilets, showers, washbasins, washing-up area, waste disposal points (dry and liquid)) are of prime importance, and their maintenance and condition equally so. So in principle, no facilities, no visit. The only exceptions are where we particularly want to visit somewhere, and there is no fully equipped site within range. Then, we will usually visit during the day, and go elsewhere to overnight. The facilities in the van are mainly used only when access to site facilities is inconveniant, or for "comfort breaks" en route.

Save me typing our views are as Brian's above.

We did once stay on a club site where the land owner insisted on composting toilets. Never went back and never will. The smell made one feel positively sick. Most people never used them.

We like to use site loos if we are staying more than a couple of days but they are the first thing we look at when we arrive on site as the quality of the loos and showers is a good indicator of the quality of the site and the management generally.

Jayare - 2014-02-25 2:17 PM

Loos important? No, not really, happy to use our own loo most of the time, but it is a bonus to be able to use a loo for number twos!!!!! (lol)

Funny how we are all different.

I like to do the big jobbie in private, no matter how wonderful the bog is, I always(unless an emergency)

use my own.

The general question Toilets -- Co-pilot never uses them, and me not much,

Showers-- If they are clean and there, we will use them, my threshold for being clean is probably more liberal then the Co-pilot's

HWO

In answer to your question the answer would have to be no, we have a nine metre long motorhome which unfortunately did not come with a bathroom,and because we do not like to use on site facilities I always tend to carry on board a shovel and four building blocks. When we arrive on site, and whilst the wife deals with making a cuppa I proceed to the rear of the van ( outside ) and dig an 18 inch square hole in the ground, around the hole I carefully place the building blocks, thus to provide a nice contained ablution area, this on the hole seemed to initially work very well, however one early morning around 2 am I heard screaming noises and rushing outside in the dark found the wife had slipped into the hole ( a--- first, I then knew that modifications were needed, so to alleviate the problem I bought a piece of 4x2 sawn timber to place across the blocks, ( job done ) however then had to buy an expensive pair of tweezers to add to our on board kit, this allocation was to become so successful that we were even able to train our three year old dog to also use the outside loo, thus saving me a dog walk three times a day, must say that our designer dog a bulldog x s**tzu was a treat to train, and took to this immediately. To date we have never found that this practice has upset other campers,and we have never had neighbours on either side of us to worry about. strangely enough.

rudders - 2014-02-25 11:17 PM

In answer to your question the answer would have to be no, we have a nine metre long motorhome which unfortunately did not come with a bathroom,and because we do not like to use on site facilities I always tend to carry on board a shovel and four building blocks. When we arrive on site, and whilst the wife deals with making a cuppa I proceed to the rear of the van ( outside ) and dig an 18 inch square hole in the ground, around the hole I carefully place the building blocks, thus to provide a nice contained ablution area, this on the hole seemed to initially work very well, however one early morning around 2 am I heard screaming noises and rushing outside in the dark found the wife had slipped into the hole ( a--- first, I then knew that modifications were needed, so to alleviate the problem I bought a piece of 4x2 sawn timber to place across the blocks, ( job done ) however then had to buy an expensive pair of tweezers to add to our on board kit, this allocation was to become so successful that we were even able to train our three year old dog to also use the outside loo, thus saving me a dog walk three times a day, must say that our designer dog a bulldog x s**tzu was a treat to train, and took to this immediately. To date we have never found that this practice has upset other campers,and we have never had neighbours on either side of us to worry about. strangely enough.

As long as you park with the nearside of your van in line with the peg and facing towards the site exit I can not see any thing in CC rules that say you cant provide your own facilities. (lol) >:-)

Yes Important. The state of the shower/toilet blocks, say's a lot about the site. we only use van abroad France/Spain/Portugal mainly. Some could be better, and prefer separate Male/Female , rather tha mixed.

which you sometimes get in France. As we mainly use ACSI sites not too much of a problem. Saves the hassle of Filling water and emptying waste, so often .

PJay

Yes they are important to us. If facilities not ok we dont stay and wont return. We have an expectation of a certain standard when paying for a pitch whatever the price. ie clean, hot water, toilet paper, soap & hand drying. Our shower / toilet is small as we prefer to have more living room than washroom so always use on site facilities except during the night. Have just completed a 7000 kms trip and encountered both extremes. Will never use Camping Benisol or Valle Niza Playa again. Used mostly ACSI sites but facilities varied from one site to another for the same money so not sure about what they use as a yardstick.

Also as prior owners of a campsite. Wild camping and aires deprive a business of income.

Harcourt3 - 2014-02-25 11:44 PM Also as prior owners of a campsite. Wild camping and aires deprive a business of income.

So does drinking at home or in your van rather than using restaurants or pubs. If you had a choice where to park your car in town and there was either a private car park that was £30 or you could park on the street 100 yards away for free what would you choose?

I dont owe campsite owners an income. I cant stand the places. Its perfectly legal to use Aires or wild camp and Im not a cheapskate either I spend thousands of pounds each year touring but just not on camping as I dont need a flipping campsite.

Please stop writing things like this.I have just wet myself laughing!!!!

Cliffy - 2014-02-25 11:25 PM

As long as you park with the nearside of your van in line with the peg and facing towards the site exit I can not see any thing in CC rules that say you cant provide your own facilities. (lol) >:-)

Now that's a good idea would love to see the look on the face one of those detestable Sargent Major CC wardens.

Steve928 - 2014-02-26 7:49 AM

Harcourt3 - 2014-02-25 11:44 PM

Also as prior owners of a campsite. Wild camping and aires deprive a business of income.

Not in our case.

If wild camping and using aires were not possible we wouldn't be motorhoming.

And I expect like me you wouldn't have pumped tens of thousands of pounds into the European economy. (lol)

Poppy - 2014-02-26 8:23 AM

I took it to be a wind up Poppy

PJay - 2014-02-26 10:08 AM

Poppy - 2014-02-26 8:23 AM

I took it to be a wind up Poppy

Yes I know, that's why I wet myself laughing.

It's interesting how many seem to say they won't return to a site without good clean showers. don't get me wrong we much prefer them, but as I posted above the van has it's own facilities so that doesn't put me off.

We're not big fans of most CC or C&CC sites (dispite being members of C&CC), yes we appreciate the (usualy) good facilities, but a nice little farm cl is much more our style, if they have decent facilities, then great, if not we'll use the van's.

We have a licensed site we return to most years, the facilities are an eclectic mix of buildings which have developed in a seemingly haphazard fashion, the latest being the moving of showers out of a stone building into blue portashowers which are not nice, but the position of the site always draws us back.

Guest Had Enough
lennyhb - 2014-02-26 9:44 AM

Now that's a good idea would love to see the look on the face one of those detestable Sargent Major CC wardens.

I'm not sure what it is that makes you so hateful and unreasonable on the subject of CC wardens but what is obvious is that you're unable to work out that it paints you in a far worse light than any warden.

Any CC member will tell you that wardens are, on the whole, a very nice, friendly and helpful bunch who will often go out of of their way to help should you ever have a problem when on a site.

If you find them to be otherwise it can only be because of your approach to them, and your continuing comments on here clearly point out that you probably approach them with a huge chip on your shoulder and a rude and vitriolic attitude, which you always display when this subject comes up.

Not that the subject comes up often, it's usually just you taking every opportunity to vent your obsession!

Wardens are normal people, I have never found one to be anything remotely like a sergeant major, but if after a hard day they were confronted with you, who could blame them for retaliating?

Give it a rest please, you're doing yourself no favours and simply highlighting a very unpleasant side of your nature, apart from which it's becoming predictable and boring.

Harcourt3 - 2014-02-25 11:44 PM    Wild camping and aires deprive a business of income.

So your point is no one should wild or use aires just to put money in the pockets of site owners?

Maybe 'no overnight' signs, barriers etc should be put up everywhere to stop those naughty people depriving site owners of their income stream?

As Captain Slow (Top Gear) would say............."What a load of cock".

Had Enough - 2014-02-26 1:15 PM
lennyhb - 2014-02-26 9:44 AMNow that's a good idea would love to see the look on the face one of those detestable Sargent Major CC wardens.
I'm not sure what it is that makes you so hateful and unreasonable on the subject of CC wardens but what is obvious is that you're unable to work out that it paints you in a far worse light than any warden.Any CC member will tell you that wardens are, on the whole, a very nice, friendly and helpful bunch who will often go out of of their way to help should you ever have a problem when on a site.If you find them to be otherwise it can only be because of your approach to them, and your continuing comments on here clearly point out that you probably approach them with a huge chip on your shoulder and a rude and vitriolic attitude, which you always display when this subject comes up. Not that the subject comes up often, it's usually just you taking every opportunity to vent your obsession!Wardens are normal people, I have never found one to be anything remotely like a sergeant major, but if after a hard day they were confronted with you, who could blame them for retaliating? Give it a rest please, you're doing yourself no favours and simply highlighting a very unpleasant side of your nature, apart from which it's becoming predictable and boring.

HE you make a very valid point regarding the Wardens.  We too have always found them to be pleasant people.  However you could just as easily have made your point without resorting to personal attacks.  By doing so it really deflates the impact of your comments and reflects the comments back onto you because it seems every post you make has to contain a personal attack which is rather predictable, unpleasant and boring.  Please try to play nicely.......I'm sure we would all appreciate it.

Archived