campsite loos - are they important to you?

RussS Travel Editor

erneboy - 2014-02-28 10:50 AM

The feeling of being under close scrutiny from the old guy next door with his immaculately polished little van with the perfectly positioned patch of artificial grass and door mat upon which his spotless white shoes and her smart but casual mules are perfectly aligned. The feeling that this stalwart will be doing his duty by watching every move. The feeling that he might well be checking for noise with his decibel meter at regular intervals and recording the results in a little notebook. The feeling that he thinks the nearby tap is for his use only and that if you put one foot on his pitch on the way to the tap he will frown at you, but not say anything this time.

The feeling that engaging these people in conversation would best be avoided because it's almost certain that, after the "Hello how are you" bit he will immediately start telling which waste master/toilet chemical/levelling ramps/awning tie downs etc. etc. he uses and why I really should have them too.

Oh, we've met then, but you're wrong, my shoes are rarely spotless since I've changed over to these new colostomy bags.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
malc d - 2014-02-28 11:14 AM

I'm not sure if you are saying that all this actually happens - or you just have a " feeling " that it might ?

;-)

Well, erneboy(Alan) did say that he had a campsite phobia... (lol)

Alan...a good chunk of our "summer"(yeah right!)is spent on music festival campsites..and they are as..*cough*,."informal" as you're likely to get... ;-)

So if we can manage to use the odd 'site...without letting the "shineyness" of the neighbour's van or the colour of his shoes and doormat get to us, anyone can... (lol)

Although, can I ask,how easy do you find using a 10m, slide out equipped MH and towing car(on trailer), without using ANY campsites..?

Guest Had Enough
erneboy - 2014-02-28 11:41 AM

No problem at all Pepe. Pub and restaurant car parks are my favourite places...

I get the feeling that could be very unpleasant.

I get the feeling that there could be noisy people leaving pubs and restaurants late at night and slamming doors and generally making a racket.

I get the feeling that you'll never actually know this until it happens.

I get the feeling that there could well be a chance of local yobs spoiling your evening.

But I've only stayed on three or four pub car parks so maybe I've not chosen wisely? ;-)

Guest Had Enough
Seannachie - 2014-02-28 11:49 AM

No problem at all Pepe. Pub and restaurant car parks are my favourite places along with wilding well out of the way and staying on remote aires, Alan.

And don't forget all those handy industrial estates.

They're a favourite with one or two on here! ;-) But at least you don't meet any of us terrible oiks and run the risk of having to talk to us. I get the feeling that having to chat with some bloke in a shiny caravan could easily ruin one's holiday. ;-) It doesn't bear thinking about - when you think about it. (lol)

No problem at all Pepe. Pub and restaurant car parks are my favourite places along with wilding well out of the way and staying on remote aires, Alan.

Cool...Sounds good... ;-)

(..right then...I'm just off to clean the OH's casual mules and hose off my artificial grass doormat... (lol) )..

......we actually have got a mat, which does look a bit like artificial grass....!?.. :$

NOOOooooooo! ;-)

Had Enough - 2014-02-28 11:49 AM

No problem at all Pepe. Pub and restaurant car parks are my favourite places...

I get the feeling that could be very unpleasant.

I get the feeling that there could be noisy people leaving pubs and restaurants late at night and slamming doors and generally making a racket.

I get the feeling that you'll never actually know this until it happens.

I get the feeling that there could well be a chance of local yobs spoiling your evening.

But I've only stayed on three or four pub car parks so maybe I've not chosen wisely? ;-)

Been doing it for years. Experienced a little noise once or twice, never yobs though. Met lots of nice people, a good many of the foreign. Not having problems would be to do with being a bit careful about where you ask, for instance a pub in a housing estate might be better avoided while one in the wilds will probably be perfect. Similarly main roads are best avoided. Google Earth is my friend.

I get the feeling you are too busy inspecting bog blocks safely locked up in the camp site of your choice. Do you have a scoring system nicely printed on a sheet of good quality paper and secured to a clipboard with build in pen holder and integral light? Please say you do. Do you inspect hourly or daily? Please also tell us how you dress when on an inspection. I am imagining cream "slacks", white shoes and a neatly pressed white short sleeved shirt, with top pocket full of neatly aligned pens, for summer and the same but with a brightly coloured V necked pullover with a completely inappropriate logo (Ferrari possibly) for winter with a nice anorak if it's raining. I have just realised that I am seeing George Roper.

Had Enough - 2014-02-28 11:52 AM

I get the feeling that having to chat with some bloke in a shiny caravan could easily ruin one's holiday. ;-) It doesn't bear thinking about - when you think about it. (lol)

Oh I never talk to strange blokes, especially if they are in shiny caravans, and my wife won't let me talk to strange women either.

(lol)

Guest Had Enough
erneboy - 2014-02-28 12:27 PM

I get the feeling you are too busy inspecting bog blocks safely locked up in the camp site of your choice. Do you have a scoring system nicely printed on a sheet of good quality paper and secured to a clipboard with build in pen holder and integral light? Please say you do. Do you inspect hourly or daily? Please also tell us how you dress when on an inspection. I am imagining cream "slacks", white shoes and a neatly pressed white short sleeved shirt, with top pocket full of neatly aligned pens, for summer and the same but with a brightly coloured V necked pullover with a completely appropriate logo (Ferrari possibly) for winter with a nice anorak if it's raining. I have just realised that I am seeing George Roper.

You couldn't be more wrong. I use aires when travelling and will wild camp but only if it's truly wild. If we fancy staying somewhere for a couple of days or more and wish to just relax we'll find a nice site, often a municipal or smallish one. I'm pretty scruffy when on holiday and love shorts and sandals if it's warm.

But the above post sums up your kind. I am totally happy if you don't want to use sites. Good for you. I'm totally happy if you want to use stellplatz and aires, and we both know that can mean having a 'van a few feet either side of us, but heh ho, it's just for one night.

But almost, and I say almost, not all, of what I call hard-core site avoiders are usually the most sneering and unpleasant people that I've ever come across. They find it impossible to talk about sites, or those of us who use them, without the kind of invective that you've displayed in this thread, the latest example of which is quoted above.

They find it impossible to talk about sites that they have used without grossly exaggerating whatever negative experience they've had, but worst off all they are often the most appalling snobs who talk about their campsite neighbours as you have done higher up this thread.

Only they are real motorhomers, we are just idiots with no conversational skills who are happy to be 'locked in' our campsites. Locked in? That really sums up the intellectual depth of your argument and the nastiness of the bulk of it.

Earlier, you complained about tight pitches but omitted to mention that you have a 10 metre gin palace and a trailer. Well, if you buy something like that for use in Europe you should expect problems!

I still remain convinced that for most site avoiders it's about one thing - money! As you said higher up, why should you stay on sites with their 'huge' fees. Huge? Give me strength!

Do us all a favour, avoid sites with pleasure, in fact I suspect that most of us will welcome that, but please, wind in the ludicrous, grossly exaggerated, thoroughly unpleasant and sneering rhetoric about those of us who do. You simply show yourself to be utterly snobbish, with a feeling of intellectual superiority, which is something that you fail to display in any way whatsoever.

But of course all that is just a feeling! ;-)

Guest Had Enough
Seannachie - 2014-02-28 12:50 PM

I get the feeling that having to chat with some bloke in a shiny caravan could easily ruin one's holiday. ;-) It doesn't bear thinking about - when you think about it. (lol)

Oh I never talk to strange blokes, especially if they are in shiny caravans, and my wife won't let me talk to strange women either.

(lol)

Surely she'll let you talk to them if they're correctly dressed with cream "slacks", white shoes and a neatly pressed white short sleeved shirt, with top pocket full of neatly aligned pens, for summer and the same but with a brightly coloured V necked pullover with a completely inappropriate logo (Ferrari possibly) for winter with a nice anorak if it's raining?

Don't bother talking to blokes in 10 metre gin palaces though with a little car on a trailer. They tend to be frightfully intellectual and you wouldn't really be able to converse on their level. (lol)

Had Enough - 2014-02-28 12:55 PM

Seannachie - 2014-02-28 12:50 PM

(lol)

Surely she'll let you talk to them if they're correctly dressed with cream "slacks", white shoes and a neatly pressed white short sleeved shirt, with top pocket full of neatly aligned pens, for summer and the same but with a brightly coloured V necked pullover with a completely inappropriate logo (Ferrari possibly) for winter with a nice anorak if it's raining?

Never mind what my wife would permit, I wouldn't dream of speaking to anyone dressed like that, but maybe that's because I've never encountered such a person.

Don't bother talking to blokes in 10 metre gin palaces though with a little car on a trailer. They tend to be frightfully intellectual and you wouldn't really be able to converse on their level. (lol)

Oh, I do talk to that type, but only if they have a BIG car on a trailer; I don't hobnob with the cheapskates who can afford only a LITTLE car.

Guest Had Enough
Seannachie - 2014-02-28 12:58 PM

I find it extremely amusing that you accuse erneboy of 'sneering rhetoric'; no doubt you are of the opinion that slur does not apply to yourself.

Guffaw!

Quite right! I can be guilty and I'm rightly chastised, as he should be! ;-)

What if I don't like Gin? Must I buy a smaller van? Anyway it's not really a Gin Palace, only one bedroom and the car doesn't fit in the garage.

Problems in Europe due to the size of my van you say. How odd then that I have never encountered these problems you speak of.

I have generally found that those who knock larger vans have no experience of them. You are levelling the same criticism at me regarding camp sites, but there is a difference perhaps? I have experienced camp sites and don't like them. Can you say you have the same experience of large vans, if so I will of course try to advise so that , in future, you can avoid the problems you experienced.

Invective? Hardly. If you think that was invective then invective is another thing you haven't experienced.

You really should get out of those sites and meet some people, Alan

I really shouldn't, but this thread is so far off topic, what the hell! :-D

We have this contributor who heaps scorn and invective on others for criticising the Caravan Club, almost as though it was his own private domain, on the basis that they are not only wrong, but are inherently nasty, or stupid, people who know nothing of what they speak. He then goes on to say, in a string concerning clubs:

Had Enough - 2014-02-26 11:34 PM

I've been in both and quit the C&CC much preferring the Caravan Club........................ I don't use their sites much as I mainly go abroad but when I do they are always of the highest standard. ............................

So, it seems this sweeping authority on CC sites may know about as much of what he speaks as those he criticises.

He chastises in superior tone those who express a preference for aires or wild camping, for doing so merely because they are too mean to pay, as he does, for sites. He then goes on to say, in this string, concerning his camping preferences:

Had Enough - 2014-02-28 12:51 PM

.................You couldn't be more wrong. I use aires when travelling and will wild camp but only if it's truly wild. If we fancy staying somewhere for a couple of days or more and wish to just relax we'll find a nice site, often a municipal or smallish one. .................

So, he's not quite so keen on flashing his cash as he'd have us all believe, it seems! :-)

Will the real Frank Wilkinson please stand up? Behind all the bluff and bluster there is aire using, wilding, motorhomer who doesn't use CC sites that much and who, when abroad seems to prefer "municipal" or "small" sites. His choice of sites is, I assume, based on their relative cheapness.

He scorns another's gin palace, while travelling in what, to many, would seem a gin palace. Your's is, because it's yours: mine isn't, because it's mine. Is that clear? I, CJ, am invariably right, and you, not being CJ, are invariably wrong.

But when I am criticissed for my arrogant and rude posts, it is not my, Charlie Brown's, fault, but because you say things to which I am compelled to respond. If you find my response bullying and abrasive it is only because, however you expressed your criticism, I know it to be bullying and abrasive in intent. So I am merely responding in kind. On this I will brook no dissent, it is how I see it, and you are incontrovertibly wrong. So you see, it isn't my fault at all, it is yours.

Oh, Charlie Brown! Please Sir, he started it! And he admits to being 69! Time to leave junior school, I think.

Most cruelly, he takes no account of the fact that there are people who have even less than he has, who have scraped together the cost of a modest motorhome - not to swank their wealth, but to enjoy its use. His attacks on the tightwads inevitably include these modest folk, tempting them to protest, in their defence, that the reason they use aires and wild camp in their modest motorhomes is not through choice, but because it is all they can afford. Catch 22. What greater public humiliation could one person impose on another, than that? Please give it some thought.

Once again, people, thanks for your outpourings on this matter. I’m glad I floated the question, and really appreciate the stream of information this has generated. Pure gold! Providing the information you really want is our number one priority, after all. If this were a poker game, I’d have drawn a royal flush.

As for spraying a little off-target, well, we’ve all done that.

And I’d better stop there before I get into trouble. Seriously, it’s been really helpful. Thanks to you all.

Ooohh, steady on Brian, get in your Anderson shelter with your tin hat on. 8-) You know what will be coming your way now. :D

As a non-site user (this is Club sites, private sites and CL/CS type sites) then I will be marked as a freeloading skinflint by HE. In my defence, the majority of nights away are on C&CC THS facilities (with the odd freeloading skinflinting wilding night in between). I also attend Forum Rallies and even organise one myself. Thankfully HE has never mentioned using these THS, so 2014 will not be full of trepidation. :D

When I read posts by HE, it makes me wish I had bought a Yacht. :'(

I reckon he will have tired of retorting to Brian by 10 pm, so I will pop in then to read the sensible posts.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2014-02-28 4:15 PM

I really shouldn't, but this thread is so far off topic, what the hell! :-D

We have this contributor who heaps scorn and invective on others for criticising the Caravan Club, almost as though it was his own private domain, on the basis that they are not only wrong, but are inherently nasty, or stupid, people who know nothing of what they speak. He then goes on to say, in a string concerning clubs:

Had Enough - 2014-02-26 11:34 PM

I've been in both and quit the C&CC much preferring the Caravan Club........................ I don't use their sites much as I mainly go abroad but when I do they are always of the highest standard. ............................

So, it seems this sweeping authority on CC sites may know about as much of what he speaks as those he criticises.

He chastises in superior tone those who express a preference for aires or wild camping, for doing so merely because they are too mean to pay, as he does, for sites. He then goes on to say, in this string, concerning his camping preferences:

Had Enough - 2014-02-28 12:51 PM

.................You couldn't be more wrong. I use aires when travelling and will wild camp but only if it's truly wild. If we fancy staying somewhere for a couple of days or more and wish to just relax we'll find a nice site, often a municipal or smallish one. .................

So, he's not quite so keen on flashing his cash as he'd have us all believe, it seems! :-)

Will the real Frank Wilkinson please stand up? Behind all the bluff and bluster there is aire using, wilding, motorhomer who doesn't use CC sites that much and who, when abroad seems to prefer "municipal" or "small" sites. His choice of sites is, I assume, based on their relative cheapness.

He scorns another's gin palace, while travelling in what, to many, would seem a gin palace. Your's is, because it's yours: mine isn't, because it's mine. Is that clear? I, CJ, am invariably right, and you, not being CJ, are invariably wrong.

But when I am criticissed for my arrogant and rude posts, it is not my, Charlie Brown's, fault, but because you say things to which I am compelled to respond. If you find my response bullying and abrasive it is only because, however you expressed your criticism, I know it to be bullying and abrasive in intent. So I am merely responding in kind. On this I will brook no dissent, it is how I see it, and you are incontrovertibly wrong. So you see, it isn't my fault at all, it is yours.

Oh, Charlie Brown! Please Sir, he started it! And he admits to being 69! Time to leave junior school, I think.

Most cruelly, he takes no account of the fact that there are people who have even less than he has, who have scraped together the cost of a modest motorhome - not to swank their wealth, but to enjoy its use. His attacks on the tightwads inevitably include these modest folk, tempting them to protest, in their defence, that the reason they use aires and wild camp in their modest motorhomes is not through choice, but because it is all they can afford. Catch 22. What greater public humiliation could one person impose on another, than that? Please give it some thought.

HE who must be obeyed.............. won't like that Brian 8-)..................

PS is 69 the new 70? :D

I do love Brian's ability to apply "sang-froid" with such devastating wit.

Well done that man!

And yes Dave - I suspect HE will now provide a $hitstorm of invective - but suggest Brian will dismiss it as the rantings that they are....

Archived