campsite loos - are they important to you?

RussS Travel Editor

Yes, I was banned from Wildcamping because I had the temerity to constantly complain about criticism of those of us who use sites as well as wild camp.

Temerity? You? Surely not!

I would never return there...

I was rather under the impression that they wouldn't want you back.

...some of them are just extreme!

Sounds a bit like some of your responses on this site.

:-D

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough
Seannachie - 2014-02-28 7:43 PM

I'll be buying a new Hymer in a few months

Now that sounds like a pathetic attempt to impress, but I'm not.

And that says more about you than me. I'm not trying to impress anyone. The subject was covered recently when new 'vans were being discussed and I mentioned that I always took notice of what Brian Kirby bought as he did his research so I'd probably go for a new Hymer, the same one as his.

If you or anyone else mentioned that they were considering buying a new 'van I take it as just that, that they were mentioning that they were buying a new 'van. And it's something that happens al the time on here when they want advice on make or dealer, import or UK.

But you put the worst possible spin on it! Buying a new 'van is no different than buying a new car, or a new TV, it's nothing to boast about, it's just one of the things that we do for God's sake!

erneboy - 2014-02-28 7:51 PM

Resigned and booted off in the same moment as I recall HE.

Nearly took me with you too as I defended some of the things you said, which turned out to be, shall we say, less than accurate, Alan.

Oooh, do I sense a whiff of mendacity in Frank's reply?

Or perhaps I'm being unkind, and it's only duplicity.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-02-28 7:47 PM

Yes, I was banned from Wildcamping because I had the temerity to constantly complain about criticism of those of us who use sites as well as wild camp. I would never return there, some of them are just extreme!

So you've been banned from two forums Frank 8-)..................Must be something you said (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Had Enough
erneboy - 2014-02-28 7:49 PM

Don't buy a big one HE. Think of all the Gin Palace gibes.

I apologise for the gin palace jibe, my blood was up after your pretty awful description of my dress sense.

But they're not for me as I don't want to have to tow a car (we cycle) and I like being able to drive my motorhome anywhere a car can go, which is why my proposed new 'van is one of the narrowest coachbuilts available.

But I'm sure that for certain kinds of motorhoming your RV is enviously luxurious. I genuinely feel that whatever people want to do, caravan, motorhome, RV, wilding, campsites is for them and none of anyone else's business. I just don't like it when they tell me that my choices, such as using campsites, makes me some kind of idiotic inferior species in this world of ours.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-02-28 7:53 PM

Buying a new 'van is no different than buying a new car, or a new TV, it's nothing to boast about, it's just one of the things that we do for God's sake!

Do we? :-S...........................Although we did buy a new tv a couple of years ago........only because I couldn't find a freebie ;-).............

Had Enough - 2014-02-28 7:53 PM

Seannachie - 2014-02-28 7:43 PM

I'll be buying a new Hymer in a few months

Now that sounds like a pathetic attempt to impress, but I'm not.

And that says more about you than me.

Oh, I see, so you think that I should be impressed that you're buying a new Hymer. Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you; I'm not.

I'm not trying to impress anyone.

Then you had no need to mention your impending purchase.

But you put the worst possible spin on it! Buying a new 'van is no different than buying a new car, or a new TV, it's nothing to boast about, it's just one of the things that we do for God's sake!

I put no spin on it.

Guest Had Enough
Seannachie - 2014-02-28 7:55 PM

Nearly took me with you too as I defended some of the things you said, which turned out to be, shall we say, less than accurate, Alan.

No mendacity and I suspect that erneboy is mixing up his forums. I resigned from Facts for the reasons I've stated - I was not banned.

I quit Wildcamping at the same time the owner decided to ban me, mainly as I complained about what I called the Wildcamping Taliban who would brook no other form of motorhoming.

I hope that's clear.

Guest Had Enough
Seannachie - 2014-02-28 8:03 PM

Oh, I see, so you think that I should be impressed that you're buying a new Hymer. Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you; I'm not.

I'm not trying to impress anyone.

Then you had no need to mention your impending purchase.

I put no spin on it.

You clearly didn't understand. When I said that it says more about you than me I was saying that you did put the worst possible spin on it.

If someone mentioned, as they often do, that they're considering a new 'van, that's all it means to me, that they're mentioning that they're buying a new 'van. No different than if they said they're looking to buy a new RV or a new washing machine - is there a point at which mentioning a prospective purchase becomes boasting? Clearly there is for you, what is that point?

So, if they mention it to you, you accuse them of boasting - I don't, that is the difference between you and me.

I genuinely feel that whatever people want to do, caravan, motorhome, RV, wilding, campsites is for them and none of anyone else's business.

Agree, entirely, and well said, at last.

I just don't like it when they tell me that my choices, such as using campsites, makes me some kind of idiotic inferior species in this world of ours.

Maybe I've missed something, but I don't recollect anyone here telling you that you were "some kind of idiotic inferior species" because you used campsites.

You clearly didn't understand. When I said that it says more about you than me I was saying that you did put the worst possible spin on it.

It is not me who does not understand, but you.

I reiterate what I said previously: there was no need for you to mention that you were purchasing a new Hymer as it had no relevance to the point of mine you were responding to, and I put no spin on your comment.

Guest Had Enough
Seannachie - 2014-02-28 8:11 PM

Maybe I've missed something, but I don't recollect anyone here telling you that you were "some kind of idiotic inferior species" because you used campsites.

Well, let's start with this one shall we:

'The feeling that engaging these people in conversation would best be avoided because it's almost certain that, after the "Hello how are you" bit he will immediately start telling which waste master/toilet chemical/levelling ramps/awning tie downs etc. etc. he uses and why I really should have them too.

In fact, the feeling that the kind of people who prefer to be on camp sites just aren't people I can't comfortably mix with. I would be better off in a pub car park and if I have a beer and some food I can stay somewhere I like at no charge as opposed to somewhere I dislike intensely at huge cost'

Did you spot this bit: 'In fact, the feeling that the kind of people who prefer to be on camp sites just aren't people I can't comfortably mix with.'

To some people, especially the inhabitants of the Wildcamping forum, site users are a sub-species. Only they. who bravely 'wild camp' in their luxurious motorhomes' are the genuine article.

Had Enough - 2014-02-28 8:04 PM

Seannachie - 2014-02-28 7:55 PM

No mendacity and I suspect that erneboy is mixing up his forums. I resigned from Facts for the reasons I've stated - I was not banned.

Erneboy will have to speak for himself on that, but it does indicate that you have both encountered each other elsewhere, which may explain your attack on him here.

I quit Wildcamping at the same time the owner decided to ban me, mainly as I complained about what I called the Wildcamping Taliban who would brook no other form of motorhoming.

I hope that's clear.

Yes, it's clear: your quitting was allegedly simultaneous to your being banned, but the fact remains that you were banned, apparently.

Guest Had Enough
Seannachie - 2014-02-28 8:15 PM

It is not me who does not understand, but you.

I reiterate what I said previously: there was no need for you to mention that you were purchasing a new Hymer as it had no relevance to the point of mine you were responding to, and I put no spin on your comment.

Well, if you read it more carefully you'll see that it was all wrapped up in the comment about my age, how long I hope to keep motorhoming and hoping that buying a new 'van would be worthwhile.

Buit I ask again, at what point in your world does mentioning a prospective purchase become boasting? A new car, a three month motorhoming trip to Greece, a new satellite dish, a new motorhome or a new RV? Sometimes it's none of these things.

All I can tell you is that I don't consider the fact that I'm buying a new motorhome worth boasting about! It's a new motorhome, which people on here buy every day.

I'm genuinely sorry that you chose to leap on this and put the worst possible interpretation on it. It was unjust and uncalled for.

Guest Had Enough
Seannachie - 2014-02-28 8:21 PM

Yes, it's clear: your quitting was allegedly simultaneous to your being banned, but the fact remains that you were banned, apparently.

What are you talking about? I said on the very first occasion that I was banned from Wildcamping although I was quitting anyway.

I never tried to deny that he would have banned me anyway. I was not banned from Motorhome Facts and quit in protest at the heavy handed moderation.

Is that clear now - go back and read my original post on this my post? There was no mendacity.

Had Enough - 2014-02-28 8:19 PM

Seannachie - 2014-02-28 8:11 PM

Well, let's start with this one shall we:

'The feeling that engaging these people in conversation would best be avoided because it's almost certain that, after the "Hello how are you" bit he will immediately start telling which waste master/toilet chemical/levelling ramps/awning tie downs etc. etc. he uses and why I really should have them too.

In fact, the feeling that the kind of people who prefer to be on camp sites just aren't people I can't comfortably mix with. I would be better off in a pub car park and if I have a beer and some food I can stay somewhere I like at no charge as opposed to somewhere I dislike intensely at huge cost'

Did you spot this bit: 'In fact, the feeling that the kind of people who prefer to be on camp sites just aren't people I can't comfortably mix with.'

To some people, especially the inhabitants of the Wildcamping forum, site users are a sub-species. Only they. who bravely 'wild camp' in their luxurious motorhomes' are the genuine article.

I really DO think that you need to visit SpecSavers, because there is absolutely no reference in the passage above which you attribute to others which states, explicitly or implicitly, that you are "some kind of idiotic inferior species" because you used campsites.

It may be, however, that there is no problem with your eyesight, in which case may I suggest that you are suffering from an age-related cognitive deficiency because, I reiterate, there is absolutely no reference in the passage above which you attribute to others which states, explicitly or implicitly, that you are "some kind of idiotic inferior species" because you used campsites.

Either way, you clearly need my sympathy, and you have it.

Had Enough - 2014-02-28 8:29 PM

Seannachie - 2014-02-28 8:21 PM

What are you talking about? I said on the very first occasion that I was banned from Wildcamping although I was quitting anyway.

Is that clear now - go back and read my original post on this my post? There was no mendacity.

What I am talking about is this post by you:

"I quit Wildcamping at the same time the owner decided to ban me"

For the avoidance of doubt, let it make it absolutely clear to you that the foregoing statement is NOT the same as your latest assertion, viz:

"I said on the very first occasion that I was banned from Wildcamping although I was quitting anyway."

If that's not an example of mendacity, it must count as duplicity.

What actually happened was that you posted a very robust attack on MHF Admim and the Mods and said that you were not prepared to stay on a forum which was run as it was then.

However the background to that, according to Nike, was that you had been warned numerous times by PM that your style, which relied almost exclusively on attacking other members on pretty well any topic at all, would no longer be tolerated.

So yes, you did leave. About 30 seconds before Nuke booted you off and removed your amazingly nasty final post, a copy of which I suspect is still on one of my old computers along with a few other gems I saved at that time.

As to your contention that I was mixing up my forums. Afraid not, because till very recently I only used one Forum. A mix up simply isn't possible.

Guest pelmetman

Sounds like Frank has forum form ;-).................HE must be running out of forums to be banned from :-S............

Maybe he's going for a double whammy 8-)................now that would be something to boast about :D......

I maybe as thick as pig sh*t according to our Frank :D....................but after being banned by 3 different forums 8-)................even I could take that as kinda hint (lol) (lol)

Guest Had Enough
Seannachie - 2014-02-28 8:31 PM

I really DO think that you need to visit SpecSavers, because there is absolutely no reference in the passage above which you attribute to others which states, explicitly or implicitly, that you are "some kind of idiotic inferior species" because you used campsites.

It may be, however, that there is no problem with your eyesight, in which case may I suggest that you are suffering from an age-related cognitive deficiency because, I reiterate, there is absolutely no reference in the passage above which you attribute to others which states, explicitly or implicitly, that you are "some kind of idiotic inferior species" because you used campsites.

It's like talking to a brick wall. This is what I wrote:

'But I'm sure that for certain kinds of motorhoming your RV is enviously luxurious. I genuinely feel that whatever people want to do, caravan, motorhome, RV, wilding, campsites is for them and none of anyone else's business. I just don't like it when they tell me that my choices, such as using campsites, makes me some kind of idiotic inferior species in this world of ours. '

I never said that anyone in particular on this forum used those exact words. What I said was that people have said it, which they have, and that I don't like it. The example I gave above about site users not being worthy enough to have a conversation with. The jibe about enjoying being 'locked up' as if we're sheep.

Do you know what a generalisation is? That's what it was, I attributed those exact words to no one in particular, it was generalisation distilled from many comments over many years.

It's not me who needs spectacles.

Guest Had Enough
erneboy - 2014-02-28 8:42 PM

What actually happened was that you posted a very robust attack on MHF Admim and the Mods and said that you were not prepared to stay on a forum which was run as it was then.

However the background to that, according to Nike, was that you had been warned numerous times by PM that your style, which relied almost exclusively on attacking other members on pretty well any topic at all, would no longer be tolerated.

So yes, you did leave. About 30 seconds before Nuke booted you off and removed your amazingly nasty final post, a copy of which I suspect is still on one of my old computers along with a few other gems I saved at that time.

As to your contention that I was mixing up my forums. Afraid not, because till very recently I only used one Forum. A mix up simply isn't possible.

But as you say, I quit and if he did ban me, which I honestly wasn't aware of, it would only have been because of my final resignation post when I accused the whole system of being Stalinist.

After I quit I never attempted to log on again so was unaware that he may have banned me, if he actually did.

Edited to say, I've just logged on to Facts and have been sent an email reminding me of my password, which I couldn't remember. So it appears that I wasn't banned, although I've not paid of course so still can't be a member.

Had Enough - 2014-02-28 8:48 PM

Seannachie - 2014-02-28 8:31 PM

It's like talking to a brick wall. This is what I wrote:

'But I'm sure that for certain kinds of motorhoming your RV is enviously luxurious. I genuinely feel that whatever people want to do, caravan, motorhome, RV, wilding, campsites is for them and none of anyone else's business. I just don't like it when they tell me that my choices, such as using campsites, makes me some kind of idiotic inferior species in this world of ours. '

I never said that anyone in particular on this forum used those exact words. What I said was that people have said it, which they have, and that I don't like it. The example I gave above about site users not being worthy enough to have a conversation with. The jibe about enjoying being 'locked up' as if we're sheep.

Do you know what a generalisation is? That's what it was, I attributed those exact words to no one in particular, it was generalisation distilled from many comments over many years.

It's not me who needs spectacles.

No, it's definitely not spectacles you need, so it must be the other thing I suggested.

Either that, or just plain everyday mendacity and duplicity on your part.

First you say one thing then, when correctly challenged, assert that you didn't say that, and, when it is subsequently demonstrated that you did actually say that, claim that you really meant something else entirely.

Strange behaviour indeed from someone who likes to pick on the precise language used by others to launch vitriolic attacks on them when their views don't agree with your own, or when you perceive some imagined slight. to yourself.

Frankly, it is amusing in the extreme to learn that you who are so ready to take others to task for their language is now bleating on that you should not be hoist by your own petard.

Archived