hymer B544 wiper motor?

Boo King

I have had my 2001 Hymer B544 serviced today for the first time since we purchased it 11 months ago. It has an annoying fault of parking its wipers across the windscreen, and we hoped the Fiat main dealer servicer would be able to fix it, but he rather unhelpfully just shrugged and said it needs a new wiper motor, and since that is a Hymer part not a Fiat part, they can't get one for us. He did think he could fit it if we found one. I am not mechanically minded at all, and wonder what to do next-my initial ebay search revealed nothing. Can anyone help me with where to start looking? Thanks! :-(

Your best bet, I think, will be a Hymer dealer. There is not much more than the engine and transmission, dashboard and controls, cab heater, and cab floor and inner wings left of Fiat in these vehicles. The Hymer dealer will be able to identify the correct motor, if required, from the vehicle data plate. However, as it seems the wipers were working, but merely park in the wrong place, I would think the parking limit switch has moved and needs re-setting. If correct, this should be easy to fix, albeit under-bonnet access isn't the high point of most A class van designs.

Peter Hambleton is certainly a very helpful and knowledgeable start for your wiper motor. If he cannot help, although I am sure he will be able to, Brownhills at Newark still support Hymer's. If you have your motorhome serial number and year they should be able to contact Hymer to order the correct one for you. It will probably take 7 weeks though as it will have to come from Germany.

I also think Premier Motorhomes can provide Hymer parts, but again they will need your motorhome serial number. This should be on a plate by your hab door.

I'd echo Brambles comment. The self park facility is operated by a constant live feed (with igntion on) to the motor which is interrupted by the "park position" switch inside the motor's gearbox. If this constant feed is missing, either because of a blown fuse or poor connection somewhere then the self park feature doesn't work and the wipers will simply stop wherever they are when you flick the switch to the off position. Check with a trst meter or probe that you have a constant live feed to th motor with ignition switched on, if not then the motor is probably ok and you need to trace where the feed has become interrupted.

D.

I remember having wiper troubles on my previous van a Hymer B574 . I think they source their wiper motors from volvo and then double the price. If you can see a serial no on the motor then volvo or europarts may be a cheaper option. Because they power three wipers instead of just two they are a part worth carrying as a spare.

Archived