No oven , no grill

Suda

We downsized last year I have a small electric toaster for when on sites in U.K we do have a grill but it takes ridiculously long! so I don't bother with it! I have a microwave which came with the van (it doesn't do toast) ! when over the water we have musli and fruit for brekky or croissants.

For cooking on the two ring hob I did have stackable pans but have just replaced them with a small pressure cooker from Aldi. So all I have now is pressure cooker largish non stick frying pan and small saucepan :-D if I cant rustle something up on that well I give up !!

You will get used to not having all the extra stuff that you had in the bigger van!! your on holiday S :D D it (lol)

afternoon folks,

We had a smev grill in our previous van which I thought was hopeless except for toast, so much so that I declined to have one in our current van. So I find this thread usefull, I will try the toast with our teflon frying pan and see what happens before buying anything else.

norm

We carry a cheap mains 2 slice toaster for on site (£6 from Homebase), and this:

http://www.roadking.co.uk/toasters/stainless-steel-stove-toaster.html

for off site which is excellent on a gas hob and it's stainless.

The Gelert 4 slice toaster we also carry is useless for UK bread agreed, but great for continental toast works well for smaller slices - my main objection to it, is it rusts! Always end up with rust powder in box and cupboard after trips.

We also don't microwave, but use and equivalent size of small halogen oven, which cooks well, and is great at grilling cheese once you have made your toast .

(lol)

David

laimeduck - 2014-02-26 8:34 AM

We have one of these, works very well - no space, no weight, small cost, just crumbs!

http://www.traveloutdoors.co.uk/gelert-camping-folding-toaster/?gclid=CNDah_Cw6bwCFWXnwgodQB0AUA

Here's another vote for these folding toasters !

So good that we now use them at home.

Toast like we use to get from using a toasting fork in front of a roaring coal fire.

:-D

JudgeMental - 2014-02-26 4:26 PM

just bought a couple of pot trivets....as we now have a much larger kitchen area..Me B eat your heart out!:-D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILICONE-SILICON-LIME-GREEN-POT-HOLDER-PLACE-MAT-TRIVET-HEAT-MAT-SQUARE-HOT-POTS-/150939310536

Not sure it you're on about the 'mats' or the kitchen ... but ... I've had 2 of the mats for years in a lovely shade of orange! I've also got a couple of black circular ones if I feel like something different! :D

625775201_12-TVcupboardshelf.JPG.d349c0602583eff29fbe41ba3cfbc9c6.JPG

We have:

1. a medium sized pressure cooker which means we only use one gas ring for veggies etc, leaving the other for the meat (we only have a 2-ring hob), it also doubles up as a large pan for rice etc as well as a chip pan too (I have adapted a chip basket to be able to use it with it)

2. a double skillet (10" one) which can be used for a variety of things - frying pans, stackable pans, mini-oven (great for pizza!) with removable handles - you'll also need the diffuser plate to put under the skillet when using it as an oven that can be picked up quite cheaply from car boot sales, or off the internet.

3. a set of Tefal Ingenio pans (3 saucepans, 2 frying pans and a saute pan) but I only take away a medium and a small saucepan plus a medium sized frying pan as I have the double skillet too. I did buy an extra removable pan handle (cheaper make) so that I don't have to keep taking it off one pan to put on another. I was in Lakeland the other day and they had some of the Tefal Ingenio pans in there but they are certainly more expensive than buying them abroad:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/p18771/Tefal-Ingenio-Range

I was also in another shop a week or two ago and they also had a version of saucepans with removable handles like the Tefal ones ... but I can't remember where!

4. a couple of the single slice folding hob-top toaster racks which work a treat, however when they die a death I'll get the larger flat type like the one in the link below which some have said works even better as one problem with the folding ones is that the bread can fall through the gaps in the bars when using small pieces like 'rounds' off a French stick:

http://www.roadking.co.uk/toasters/stainless-steel-stove-toaster.html

I used to take a stacking steamer 'pot': a large deep-sided two-handled pan with 2 other pot/pans that sit on top and a lid, one of the pots is like a traditional steamer with holes in, but the other is actually solid based so is more useful - I did use this all the time until I got my pressure cooker.

If I have a couple of things in saucepans and am using a frying pan too obviously I don't have enough rings so I simply pop the larger saucepans on first and heat up the contents then put the smaller one on instead and stand the larger one on top to keep warm ... works a treat!

Archived