Clubs

seadog

Hi Guys

OK, we have been looking at joining one of the many clubs representing the interests of motorhome users. Mainly to get discounted site fees, insurance etc. Just wondered which club offers the the best benefits. The Caravan Club or The caravan & Camping Club, or is there any better ones out there

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to break the illusion but neither of them are much interested in motorhomes or the interests of their owners and we have found that discounts are just as readily available elsewhere online for most products.

The one exception being the RAC Arrival recovery scheme via CC membership which covers large vans the other breakdown firms do not - although that cover is often an inexpensive add on with the van insurance.

The Caravan and Camping Club, in our view, has the most and the best rallies and weekend bashes closely followed by the Motor Caravan Club and the Caravan Club ones are the least casual and almost always need pre booking.

As far as I know the CC has the most and best sites and CLs if they are your thing, with the CC next best and the MCC a poor third with no sites and few CSs.

And if you venture abroad most of the time they are all expensive and none of 'em are much use to you!

Just a personal view of course and others will doubtless disagree!

seadog - 2014-02-26 9:08 PM

Hi Guys

OK, we have been looking at joining one of the many clubs representing the interests of motorhome users. Mainly to get discounted site fees, insurance etc. Just wondered which club offers the the best benefits. The Caravan Club or The caravan & Camping Club, or is there any better ones out there

The Camping and Caravanning Club give discounts on site fees to over 60 's in low season.

I wouldn't say that either of the main clubs " represent the interests " of motorhome users, any more than other units that stay on their sites - I'm sure a lot of people would kick up quite a stink if they did !

;-)

Guest Had Enough

Hi Guys

I've been in both and quit the C&CC much preferring the Caravan Club. I got the best insurance deal from them and have saved quite a bit on ferry booking on many occasions. I don't use their sites much as I mainly go abroad but when I do they are always of the highest standard. Their continental site books are superb and often bought by people who aren't members.

A huge advantage of membership is the extensive CL network which gives you access to thousands of small low-priced sites on farms etc.

Take no notice of this utter rubbish about them not liking motorhomes. Tracker is always claiming this but he hasn't been on a CC site for twenty years so God knows how he can make any claims as to the CC's attitude to motorhomes.

You will be treated no differently from anyone else. I have never found that club wardens treat motorhomes differently and would love to see real evidence that this is the case.

Finally, if any of the people who peddle this anti-motorhome nonsense actually used CC sites, they'd notice that in the quieter times of the year, motorhomes often outnumber caravans.

The caravans come out in force in the summer holidays as most families with children can't afford a motorhome and use caravans.

They'd also notice that many site wardens now have motorhomes themselves!

It's not madly expensive to join either club and you get lower prices on most sites. I'd recommend joining both the CC and the C&CC for a year and make up your own mind.

As ever you can always rely on Frank to turn any posting into a personal attack with his cheap jibes and snide comments. Why do you do it Frank - are you incapable of posting your own views without having another go?

I didn't say the CC 'hates' motorhomes - but it is well known that they do not support the cause of motorhomes to the same degree that they support the cause of towed caravans - the clue is in the name!!

And it is a mere 10 years since I stayed on a CC site, as like so many others, we mainly holiday abroad now and I repeat that unless you use the club facilities there is not much point in being a member because you don't get much else for your annual subscription.

Please read properly Frank and get your facts straight before jumping to conclusions as you are certainly no Sherlock Holmes when it comes to deducing!

So there we are again - you've had an unprovoked go at me and I have responded - shall we leave it there for the benefit of others, or must you have the last word again?

Hi Guys

Hi seadog..

We haven't been MHing long(7-8years,not counting a selfbuild in the 80s) and we've been in both the:

C&CC: Lapsed because we just didn't use it, as they wouldn't let you "book" a one night weekend(..so no good if working late Friday and could only make the Saturday).

and,

CC: Still in for the moment,as getting a good deal with breakdown/dual recovery(although for us, their motor insurance quotes were never competitive).

Not that we used that many from either club but overall we found the CC sites to be generally better kept and cleaner(..although some may say somewhat "fuddy-duddy" at times (lol))

.. but at least you weren't going get someone's little angel bouncy their football off your pride'n'joy or spearing your roof with their kite! (lol)

On pitch fees, "in season", neither were really that much/any cheaper than "commercial" sites to be honest....

I've read that the C&CC have altered their pricing system..?.something about giving a "price range", rather than an actual price and this will vary depending on how busy they are..?...I think?

(..mind you, I could never fathom out their bl**dy book anyway! (lol) )

Ground conditions and locations permitting, CLs and CSs are a major plus point...although the last few years we've found that the cost of some of those have risen to within just a couple of quid of a full on site.

Rallies and such like, have never been our thing..If ever we feel the need to mix with a load of strangers, 20-30 years older than us, then we'll take a walk around our local garden centre or pop to B&Q on "oap Wednesdays"!(lol)

Whether or not the CC MH-unfriendly...well?...I can't say that I've ever noticed one way or the other...We pull up.. booking..pitch van..put kettle on/open beer..so pretty much the same as anyone with a c'van (only all done, a fair bit quicker!)..

The fact the CC has the words "Caravan" and "Club" in the title has mattered not a jot to us...

Hi Guys

Hi seadog,

If you look up the thread "which club to join" (October2011) and go to the 13th post, I provided some information and mentioned other threads which deal with the clubs.

I still find many advantages of belonging to both CC and CCC and the cost of membership of each is more than compensated for by the savings I still make through being a member.

Just to correct an earlier post on this current thread, it is CCC that uses Arrival/RAC breakdown services:

The Caravan club's breakdown service is called Mayday and operated by Green Flag.

mel wood - 2014-02-27 9:50 AM

Just to correct an earlier post on this current thread, it is CCC that uses Arrival/RAC breakdown services:

The Caravan club's breakdown service is called Mayday and operated by Green Flag

You're right Mel - my apologies for the missing C.

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2014-02-27 7:20 AM

As ever you can always rely on Frank to turn any posting into a personal attack with his cheap jibes and snide comments. Why do you do it Frank - are you incapable of posting your own views without having another go?

I didn't say the CC 'hates' motorhomes - but it is well known that they do not support the cause of motorhomes to the same degree that they support the cause of towed caravans - the clue is in the name!!

And it is a mere 10 years since I stayed on a CC site, as like so many others, we mainly holiday abroad now and I repeat that unless you use the club facilities there is not much point in being a member because you don't get much else for your annual subscription.

Please read properly Frank and get your facts straight before jumping to conclusions as you are certainly no Sherlock Holmes when it comes to deducing!

So there we are again - you've had an unprovoked go at me and I have responded - shall

we leave it there for the benefit of others, or must you have the last word again?

Oh come on, methinks you doth protest too much! It wasn't a personal attack, I quoted you because of what you said!

First of all let's deal with the nonsense that you continually peddle about 'the clue's in the name'.

This suggests that because it's called the Caravan Club it's only interested in caravans. That's about as intelligent as saying that the Carphone Warehouse is only interested in car phones!

Let's explain it again for you although God knows it's been tried before.

It's called the Caravan Club because it's over a hundred years old and motorhomes hadn't been invented! You may well think that it should now be called 'The Caravan, Campervan, Motorhome, Fifth-Wheeler and Trailer Tent Club' to reflect its diverse membership but the people who actually run it understand the value of a brand, just as Carphone Warehouse does.

Apart from which you have a motorised caravan, what do you think a motorhome is? It's pure snobbishness to try to convince yourself that you're any different from someone who tows his mobile home. We're all caravanners but in different guises!

So, let's now deal with your accusation that it doesn't support motorhomes the same way as caravans. Where is your proof? Please tell us how motorhomes are treated any differently from caravans.

If you actually read the club's monthly magazine you'd know that there is a great emphasis on motorhomes with tests every month.

Your attitude to the CC is well documented and at one time your location under your name actually read 'As far away from a CC site as possible'. And no, I haven't been trawling the past, I just have a good memory.

You fell out with the CC when it made its decision to include EHU and since then you've taken every opportunity to deride it, although as usual your scorn is always followed by the usual mealy mouthed comments about 'We're all different etc.'

So come on - put your money where your mouth is - tell us how the CC treats motorhomers differently from caravan owners. I'm not interested in your pleas for special treatment for motorhomers like the ludicrous one that you once came up with that we should be allowed to use late arrivals' areas for a low price (pity the poor tugger who arrives late and finds no room because of a load of motorhomers who are too tight to pay the normal site fee).

So let's have it. Cut the bullsh*t and tell us how a motorhomer is treated any differently from a 'tugger' either in his membership or on a site. And no more nonsense please like 'The clue's in the name.' Someone with an IQ of seventy can work out why it's called The Caravan Club.

Guest Had Enough
pepe63 - 2014-02-27 9:22 AM

Whether or not the CC MH-unfriendly...well?...I can't say that I've ever noticed one way or the other...We pull up.. booking..pitch van..put kettle on/open beer..so pretty much the same as anyone with a c'van (only all done, a fair bit quicker!)..

The fact the CC has the words "Caravan" and "Club" in the title has mattered not a jot to us...

Clearly, you've missed the point. Because it's been called the Caravan Club for over a hundred years, well before motorhomes were invented, it must be in favour of caravans and biased against motorhomes.

The clue's in the name you know! How could you miss that? (lol) (lol)

Both the CC and the C&CC stretch the imagination calling themselves clubs, clubs are supposed to be run for the benefit of the members. Both of them are so big now they just run a profit making organisations.

The only benefit you get from them is access to CS & CL sites, their own club sites are overpriced for what they offer they insist you pay for EHU even when you don't need it.

If I were to come down in favour of one it would be the C&CC at least on their sites they have some pitches without EHU, and if you like Forestry Commission sites they now manage these and you get discounted rates.

lennyhb - 2014-02-27 11:05 AM

...If I were to come down in favour of one it would be the C&CC at least on their sites they have some pitches without EHU....

We've used a couple of CC sites, that have had non-ehu, "economy pitches", so they are available..although in what number, I don't know..

(..and on the Cheltenham racecourse site, in our opinion, the non-ehu pitches have(had?)the best location, being on the edge against the railings, overlooking the 'course).

Guest Had Enough
lennyhb - 2014-02-27 11:05 AM

Both the CC and the C&CC stretch the imagination calling themselves clubs, clubs are supposed to be run for the benefit of the members. Both of them are so big now they just run a profit making organisations.

The only benefit you get from them is access to CS & CL sites, their own club sites are overpriced for what they offer they insist you pay for EHU even when you don't need it.

If I were to come down in favour of one it would be the C&CC at least on their sites they have some pitches without EHU, and if you like Forestry Commission sites they now manage these and you get discounted rates.

You clearly have little knowledge of the structure of the clubs. They are co-operatives with any profits being ploughed back into the business for the ultimate benefit of the members. There are no shareholders and no fat-cat million dollar bonuses.

Perhaps you can explain how any profits benefit anyone other than the long-term membership?

If you've ever read the magazines for the two main clubs you'd know that there are very strong local-centres where members in the various regions enjoy many rallies and social events. This is the very essence of a club.

But what puzzles me about your continuing criticisms is the emphasis on the clubs making a profit. Do you think that the executives should run them in such a way as to make a loss? Very odd! From their inception one of the main objects of both the main clubs has been to make a profit. Where do you think the money comes from to expand the site network, run a successful CL/CS scheme and provide members with even more services, such as the Continental touring books.

Are you suggesting that fifty years ago for instance the clubs weren't interested in having a black bottom line?

The CC has been very successful because it's run well but all important decisions are taken by committees of members. For instance, the controversial decision to include EHU, just as they include showers and toilets in the site fee, wasn't taken by some suit at head office but by a committee of members, which then instructed the executives to put this in place.

They are clubs and just because they are now bigger than fifty years ago doesn't change that. They are still run for the benefit of the members. I first joined forty years ago and as an ordinary member I can discern no difference from then. I pay an annual fee, I get a magazine, I get favourable deals on insurance and ferries and I get use even more sites and even more CLs.

You appear to denigrate the club because it's been successful and grown. Why do you think that is wrong?

If the club had been badly run and hadn't made a profit I can just guess who'd be the first one on here moaning about the inefficiency of the 'suits' who do the day to day running.

It really is time to dislodge the chip from your shoulder, just because ten years ago you had a run-in with a warden.

Still, I suppose that we should be grateful that you've managed to make one post about the CC without telling us that all the wardens are ex-Gestapo who enjoy torturing puppies!

Had Enough - 2014-02-27 10:48 AM

Clearly, you've missed the point. Because it's been called the Caravan Club for over a hundred years, well before motorhomes were invented, it must be in favour of caravans and biased against motorhomes.

Frank, surely youve posted this little gem against the wrong quote?

Looks to me that Pepe was saying that he wasnt treated any differently to anyone else, caravanner or motorhomer. And the name of the Club didnt matter 'a jot'.

Couldn't be clearer, methinks?

Oh, and on page 97 of this months mag it clearly states that funds held at year end were around £2m higher than 2012 at £34m! Non profit making?

bolero boy - 2014-02-27 12:08 PM

Looks to me that Pepe was saying that he wasnt treated any differently to anyone else, caravanner or motorhomer. And the name of the Club didnt matter 'a jot'.

Chris..I think HE(Frank) meant it as a joke.... :-D

But I do wish folk would re-quoting the bit of my post with the "typo" in it... (lol)

(...It should of cause say "...book in..." and not "..booking..." :$ )

Hi Seadog

I don't know if your name indicates that you are a dog owner,but neither club charges for our four legged friends.

Non-club sites can charge up to £3/4 per dog per night in high season.

adds a fair bit to the overnight fee.

HWO

Guest Had Enough

Oh, and on page 97 of this months mag it clearly states that funds held at year end were around £2m higher than 2012 at £34m! Non profit making?

In future I will start such posts with: 'Warning, irony incoming and I'm taking the mick'! If you read the posts higher up you'll get the drift! ;-)

Who has ever claimed that the clubs are non-profit making? How do you think the clubs have expanded to purchase more sites and offer more services. Of course their intention is to make a profit. Do you think that they should run at a loss?

But the point, once more, is this: The clubs are basically cooperatives, they do not have shareholders and no dividend is paid. There are no million pound bonuses, just salaries commensurate with the expertise required to run the various divisions.

There are people on here who clearly believe that the club is run for a handful of suits who take all the profit home! One reason that the club has large funds is to purchase or build news sites, which with the cost of land in Britain is a very expensive business. Unfortunately, because of planning regulations in the areas we'd all like new sites, they're hard to come by.

But I still don't understand this aversion to the clubs making a profit! I want them to make a profit. I want more sites, I want my membership fee to stay at a very reasonable forty quid. I don't want to wake up one morning and find that the CC is in receivership because it hasn't made a profit!

Hi we have been members of both clubs in the past, but on getting a motorhome decided to drop CCC as the CC have more hardstanding pitches, both clubs are friendly so its up to you which or both depending on how long you travel in the U.K.

If you plan to stay on a club site for more than five days, you might as well join as the fee to join is about the extra you will pay by being a member. You will also get a big sites book with all club sites AND non club sites along with CL/CS sites.

As we travel abroad for our main hols 6 weeks, we only use a couple of club sites and sometimes it can be annoying when a lot are fully booked !! but there you go thats because we dont like booking ahead as we have commitments. Good Luck and enjoy your travels.

We have been Camping and Caravan Club members for 25 years and think it a great club to be in,Children friendly and later Grand children,dog friendly too.We enjoy rallies when in England and also the Holiday Rallies and the C S locations, usually no booking required and full details in the monthly magazine one recieves. Their main club sites are not particularly cheap but are excellent sites and good value compared to most comercial sites. 

We are also newish members of the Motor Caravanners Club and have enjoyed our experiences so far and are going to the National Rally in Ireland with them using their ferry deal,return for only £175. Takes some beating for a van up to 10 metres and two people .We have booked many channel crossings with the CCC and saved a lot of money doing this over the years. We also enjoy wild camping whereever we can so consider we have the best of all worlds,we were Caravan Club members for some time but found that too regimented and too much hassle booking weekend rallies etc so that was not for us.

Had Enough - 2014-02-27 12:49 PM

In future I will start such posts with: 'Warning, irony incoming and I'm taking the mick'! If you read the posts higher up you'll get the drift! ;-)

Who has ever claimed that the clubs are non-profit making? How do you think the clubs have expanded to purchase more sites and offer more services. Of course their intention is to make a profit. Do you think that they should run at a loss?

But the point, once more, is this: The clubs are basically cooperatives, they do not have shareholders and no dividend is paid. There are no million pound bonuses, just salaries commensurate with the expertise required to run the various divisions.

There are people on here who clearly believe that the club is run for a handful of suits who take all the profit home! One reason that the club has large funds is to purchase or build news sites, which with the cost of land in Britain is a very expensive business. Unfortunately, because of planning regulations in the areas we'd all like new sites, they're hard to come by.

But I still don't understand this aversion to the clubs making a profit! I want them to make a profit. I want more sites, I want my membership fee to stay at a very reasonable forty quid. I don't want to wake up one morning and find that the CC is in receivership because it hasn't made a profit!

Frank, it must be that i find all of your posts so full on that its difficult (for me) to spot your sledgehammer wit. Tho i will endeavour to watch out for it.

My posting about the CC bank balance was that i was amazed at how large it was. Yes, infrastructure projects are expensive and its always good to have a reserve, but £34m? Why do the club see fit to continue raising membership fees and pitch prices? Its no good saying that the money os needed for site developments as ive seen nothing which suggests that the club are spending anywhere this sort of money on new sites.

Te club holds £34m at the bank, what is a healthy position for them, £50m, £100m, more....i donk know the answer but if this were a gas or electric company, someone would be questioning the level of profit?

Had Enough - 2014-02-27 11:53 AM

Still, I suppose that we should be grateful that you've managed to make one post about the CC without telling us that all the wardens are ex-Gestapo who enjoy torturing puppies!

Thanks for the info I always wondered where they got them from, all clear now why they have such an attitude problem. :D

THE CAMPING AND CARAVAN CLUB have a Motorhome section in there format,see the Out and About section of the magazine for weekend rallies meets,each region has a seperate Motorhome group,Caravans, tents, trailor tents etc are all welcome to rally on these meets too,if you pay an extra £5 in your annual subscription to the club you can become a member of the Motorcaravan section, this is not compulsory as, as a member of the CCC you are entitled to attend any rally at any time, you just get extra magazines and newsletter  bumphf as a section member and could if you chose become a committee member and also vote at their AGMs yearly, so it is ludicross to say that the Camping and Caravan Club has no interest in Motorhomes,I guess that the MCC. Is one of the few clubs dedicated to Motorhomes as that is all they allow to camp with them.

Archived