benidorm

kevin hawkins

I was looking having a month in Benidorm this year in my campervan however people have been saying to me don't go its become tacky full of empty shops beggars pickpockets and eastern Europeans, now I like Benidorm and live across from a very nice polish family has anyone been or is there this year.

what's it really like ? *-)

Guest JudgeMental
Its great as long as you avoid the english bars :D still the real spain if you look for it, and its always relatively busy..also cheap as many businesses competing for your money, above all the weather is great as it sits below mountains and has a microclimate. while other places can be closed up during the winter its a popular attraction for spanish people year around.

After me moaning about Benidorm and avoiding it for ages, and also reading stuff on here singing its praises. Well we decided to go and give it a try for a week at the end of Jan. Outcome? Not as bad as I remembered, but still not very good. Think I'll give it another 20 years before we go again, each to their own.

We are in Benidorm now and yes there are Eastern Europeans here, and beggars (mainly in old town). There are still lots of British bars and cafes and lots of Brits!

Now the good news!

The weather is great!

It is cheap, 14 euro a night with EHU, cycle into town.

No SKY TV.

We've been there a few times in the last few weeks and it's nowhere as bad as I we thought it would be.

Loads of good shops in the old town and no tacky kiss me quick type places like England. Food and drink is reasonable as well. The weather is brilliant. We were at Almafra just outside for 5 weeks and only had a few drops of rain in all that time. Denia and Calpe are just a tram ride away. The ride alone is worth the 6.4 Euros return as it follows the coast all the way.

peter - 2014-02-27 8:57 PM

We've been there a few times in the last few weeks and it's nowhere as bad as I we thought it would be.

Loads of good shops in the old town and no tacky kiss me quick type places like England. Food and drink is reasonable as well. The weather is brilliant. We were at Almafra just outside for 5 weeks and only had a few drops of rain in all that time. Denia and Calpe are just a tram ride away. The ride alone is worth the 6.4 Euros return as it follows the coast all the way.

Denia, now you're talking, a proper Spanish town.

Guest JudgeMental
starvin marvin - 2014-02-28 12:07 PM

Hardly! its about 80% british or was that ironic:D

if thats the best you can come up with as a winter alternative...Jog on!lol

??hi Kevin, we are on el raco campsite in benidorm at the moment and love every minute of it.have been here since December and have only had rain 3 times ( today being one of them). The next ten days are set to be warm and sunny,bring it on.

There are as usual loads of holidaymakers here,which is great,as it keeps prices competitive and shops open. You still have your "potato men" scum bags who fleece as many people as they can of their cash,but, I cannot believe these people are so gullible as to think they can beat them.they stand in groups of about 12 men and women, some on " obvious" lookout for the police,and still, the public give them their money!!

Apart from them,I haven't seen anywhere near as many " undesirables" as last year. Wherever you go these days you have to take care and watch your belongings,benidorm is no different from anywhere else !

Hope this helps you make your decision.

JudgeMental - 2014-02-28 12:12 PM

There you go, wrong again. Denia is lovely town, not the very best for a winter break, but has character.

With 50 million visitors a year to Spain there's going to be a lot of Brits anywhere on the coast.

Guest JudgeMental
starvin marvin - 2014-03-04 11:21 AM

JudgeMental - 2014-02-28 12:12 PM

There you go, wrong again. Denia is lovely town, not the very best for a winter break, but has character.

With 50 million visitors a year to Spain there's going to be a lot of Brits anywhere on the coast.

We nearly bought a villa there years ago so know exactly what its like..still prefer the proper spanish flavor of Benidorm..Large choice of shopping and restaurants, but above all the only reason most of us go is the value for money and the weather! you just need to tune out the british herberts :-D

Archived