Which Android

Corky 8

Hi, I an looking for a Android of some type which I can put Apps on like AutoRoute , and load with Aire Co-ordinates and if possible Google Earth. yet recharge in the Motorhome via a Inverter. I don't want a small laptop, I want something I can walk around with. I,m not completely technology savvy but do try. Can you Suggest anything (in a polite manner ) Please.

Guest Had Enough
Corky 8 - 2014-02-27 6:36 PM

Hi, I an looking for a Android of some type which I can put Apps on like AutoRoute , and load with Aire Co-ordinates and if possible Google Earth. yet recharge in the Motorhome via a Inverter. I don't want a small laptop, I want something I can walk around with. I,m not completely technology savvy but do try. Can you Suggest anything (in a polite manner ) Please.

You'll need a largish screen model like a Samsung Galaxy S4 but forget charging it via an inverter. If you're using it with a sat-nav application it will discharge the battery very quickly if it's not plugged in.All you'll need is a 12v car lead, which you can get on eBay for a couple of pounds. Whilst using it as a sat-nav you should have it permanently plugged in and you'll also have to consider a suitable cradle to hold it.I have Galaxy S3 and it's superb but there are equally good smartphones from HTC and Sony etc. You need to do a bit of research on what suits you and at what price.I would also have a look at CoPilot, which is a superb sat-nav application.

Guest JudgeMental
I have the Acer liquid S2 it's a great phablet phone with big enough screen for surfing watching video etc..... just waiting for some sat nav apps to catch up with the technology, to make the most of the great HD screen

lennyhb - 2014-02-27 8:27 PM

The Google Nexus is one of the best tablets well worth a look.

Edit:

if you are thinking in terms of a phone well worth waiting for the new Samsung Galaxy S5 shortly to be released, makes iphones look old hat.

Funny enough was just looking at the S5 specs and they barely trouble my Nokia 1520 in some respects, certainly not on battery life,I can run the satnav on my phone for hours on it's own battery.

colin - 2014-02-27 9:14 PM

lennyhb - 2014-02-27 8:27 PM

The Google Nexus is one of the best tablets well worth a look.

Edit:

if you are thinking in terms of a phone well worth waiting for the new Samsung Galaxy S5 shortly to be released, makes iphones look old hat.

Funny enough was just looking at the S5 specs and they barely trouble my Nokia 1520 in some respects, certainly not on battery life,I can run the satnav on my phone for hours on it's own battery.

Yes but for us old boys the S5 has a heart rate monitor. (lol)

Battery life is not too bad on smartphones providing you turn the wifi, mobile data & sync off, just turn then on when you need them. My S3 Mini was last charged on Monday & will need recharging tomorrow if I left everything turned on it would only last just over a day, this week it's been particularly good as I've only made a couple of call but 3 days is quite normal.

Guest JudgeMental
the samsung note 3 a nice phone but a few hundred more expensive then my Acer liquid S2. I went for the Acer because I thought the S2 had dual SIM, but it was the cheaper Liquid S1 model (nowhere near the same spec) that has this for UK market:-S. Found out the likes of TMobile dont sell them because they dont like you having access to another sim slot on a different plan! *-)

Archived