New TomTom but which one?

hallii

I like TomTom and I will buy another, nothing else so don't tell me Garmin or whatever is better, I don't care, I will buy a TomTom.

But which one? I saw this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-START-65cm-5Zoll-Lifetime/dp/B00BEBPV30/ref=dp_ob_title_ce#productDescription

Can I input latitude / longtitude in different formats on this?

Which TomTom do you think is best I need maps for Western and eastern Europe and free updates is nice.

Thanks

H

Have tried several makes of GPS and like you found Tom Tom to be the one for me for various reasons. We have had a GO720 for must be about nine or so years and it is still going strong.

However last year I decided to invest in a new model and spotted a deal on Ideal World for a TT Start 60 i.e. the larger (6") screen than the 5" Start 25 that you have cited. It does not have all the features of the GO720 but I realised that I had never used the verbal programming nor the blue tooth phone answering or most of the other bells and whistles that the GO series has!

The Start 25/60 series has all you need, yes including the features for longitude/ Latitude in differing formats!

With the Start 60 having the 6" screen is a real help in the motorhome as it is further away from sight so is much easier to see especially when used with the TMC attachment which takes a small amount of the screen to display the traffic ahead.

Thoroughly recommend the 25 or 60 myself.

Bas

PS Ideal World were offering the Start 25 with TMC and Case for £125 a couple of weeks back but it seems to have gone back up.

I use a Tomtom for both work and pleasureI had a Go model which was stolen, replaced with a Start 20 which served me well but with the updates costing £30 + a year decided to buy a Via 130 with lifetime updates of maps. The only downside is the via is a bit small than Start but the Via seems quicker on start up. Something that I found when changing over is Tomtom only allow one unit per email account :-S

Guest JudgeMental
What I find is my garmin (getting on a bit now) the screen hopeless in strong sunlight. What models has the best screens?

My Garmin (which was very good) has just turned up its heels after I attempted to do a map update. I've been back and forth to Garmin's so-called help for the last 4 weeks without getting a result, so it looks like the bin for it.

I had a Navigon (possibly also made by Garmin?) which was also good till it went terminally haywire; I've had TomToms of various kinds as well.

I've now got a Snooper in the van, which has so far been OK, but is too big for the car.

So, apart from giving up altogether and going back to maps, what's the least worst satnav that has full Europe mapping with updates that don't blow up the machine! :-( >:-( :-(

I have seen various reports that it it is not possible, or more difficult to put your own POIs into the later Tomtoms.

How true is this ?

I generally use the GPS Forum speed camera down loads, and my own list of POIs for various campsites.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2014-03-03 10:48 AM

I have seen various reports that it it is not possible, or more difficult to put your own POIs into the later Tomtoms.

How true is this ?

I generally use the GPS Forum speed camera down loads, and my own list of POIs for various campsites.

Rgds

I have a TT via125, have loaded archies and c&cc poi's. The archies went straight on, c&cc required a conversion as they don't do it in correct format, also the icons needed a 'tweek', once you know the system it's quite straightforward, BUT, there has been an update to the TT program and i've not added/updated poi's since, so I can't confirm if it's still ok.

Thank you all for your input. I have now purchased a TomTom Start 25 with 45 countries and free map updates for life £126. Let's hope I can get all the POIs back on it now!

That leaves me with a spare Tomtom one xl with western European maps ( 2011) in pefect condition going spare B-)

H

My trusty old tom tom 700 is also failing,battery going, etc.been brilliant all over Europe for last 9years,never a moments trouble,dropped her,Joyce several times,she cost me £500.49 back in about 2006.i have looked at smart 25 today in Currys,will get one tomorrow,thanks for advice.have to knock down a bit as it's £129.99 I prefer to buy locally.

peacock312 - 2014-03-03 5:08 PM

My trusty old tom tom 700 is also failing,battery going, etc.been brilliant all over Europe for last 9years,never a moments trouble,dropped her,Joyce several times,she cost me £500.49 back in about 2006.i have looked at smart 25 today in Currys,will get one tomorrow,thanks for advice.have to knock down a bit as it's £129.99 I prefer to buy locally.

Check carefully that you get lifetime map updates and that the mapping includes every country you might want to go to (Western and Eastern Europe?) The Amazon offer does, not sure that Currys do.

H

Cliffy - 2014-03-03 8:09 PM

I have found Halfords are the best for Tom Tom and you can have a play before you pay. But I guess this is too late now if you have already bought one.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_931917_langId_-1_categoryId_165685#tab1

Without lifetime map updates and only western europe mapping, that's hardly a good deal!

colin - 2014-03-03 8:12 PM

I have found Halfords are the best for Tom Tom and you can have a play before you pay. But I guess this is too late now if you have already bought one.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_931917_langId_-1_categoryId_165685#tab1

Without lifetime map updates and only western europe mapping, that's hardly a good deal!

It does have lifetime maps that is what the "M" means and western Europe is the norm, it covers as far as Croatia what more do you want?

Cliffy - 2014-03-03 10:55 PM........................ it covers as far as Croatia what more do you want?

Depends where you're going Cliff, innit? I want all of Europe, I still have ambition! :-D

Besides, if you decide to travel east at some point and have to buy the eastern europe maps separately, you'll wipe out the difference between the cost of the unit with just western Europe, and the unit with the full Europe mapset, and then some! The cost difference isn't usually that great, and you get lots of extra routing flexibility for the extra cost.

Cliffy - 2014-03-03 10:55 PM

colin - 2014-03-03 8:12 PM

It does have lifetime maps that is what the "M" means and western Europe is the norm, it covers as far as Croatia what more do you want?

My mistake, had to look in the 'fine print' to find that, it would seem to have been a pricing mistake by Halfords as the UK&ROI edition of same unit is higher price, or they have mislabeled a non lifetime updates model,

hallii - 2014-03-03 3:12 PM

Thank you all for your input. I have now purchased a TomTom Start 25 with 45 countries and free map updates for life £126. Let's hope I can get all the POIs back on it now!

That leaves me with a spare Tomtom one xl with western European maps ( 2011) in pefect condition going spare B-)

H

I would keep it as a spare, it owes you nothing, and you never know, when it might come in useful.

we kept our old Tt for many years, and then in the end gave it to a friend, who just wanted one for the occassional use.

Hi,after reading all this good advice I decided to buy a start 25 tom tom as I posted yesterday,

Today I went to Currys,armed with iPad showing Halfords ad. Chap explained Halfords model only had western mapping whilst Currys had west & east,but pointed out Halfords had mains high speed charger inc.his didn't,ok said I,I like Currys,don't like Halfords.i will take ome. sorry he said we don't stock it,will have to order in,

Off to Halfords 100 yrds away,very uninterested geek said that model is internet only,if you go to Merryhill,30mls. Away they might have it in stock,or if you order online you could pick one up here in a week!

These were large stores on kidderminster retail park.

As an ex retailer I try very very hard to support local shops but it's a waste of time!

When these stores go into liquidation,as I believe they will sooner or later I think I will put a big sign outside saying, serves them right!

Now I will order online.

peacock312 - 2014-03-04 12:36 PM

Hi,after reading all this good advice I decided to buy a start 25 tom tom as I posted yesterday,

Today I went to Currys,armed with iPad showing Halfords ad. Chap explained Halfords model only had western mapping whilst Currys had west & east,but pointed out Halfords had mains high speed charger inc.his didn't,ok said I,I like Currys,don't like Halfords.i will take ome. sorry he said we don't stock it,will have to order in,

Off to Halfords 100 yrds away,very uninterested geek said that model is internet only,if you go to Merryhill,30mls. Away they might have it in stock,or if you order online you could pick one up here in a week!

These were large stores on kidderminster retail park.

As an ex retailer I try very very hard to support local shops but it's a waste of time!

When these stores go into liquidation,as I believe they will sooner or later I think I will put a big sign outside saying, serves them right!

Now I will order online.

I ordered mine online from Halfords and picked it up the next day. Excellent service. Have you looked at their online arrangements?

Yes,I have just ordered mine online,special edition 25 m Western Europe inc. I don't need Eastern Europe free updates for life!no blue tooth!don't need it!carry bag & high speed charger inc £119.99 delivered to my home address .

But this doesn't keep our local shops in business,and I hate ordering online,old fashioned or what? I don't care.

peacock312 - 2014-03-04 1:33 PM

Yes,I have just ordered mine online,special edition 25 m Western Europe inc. I don't need Eastern Europe free updates for life!no blue tooth!don't need it!carry bag & high speed charger inc £119.99 delivered to my home address .

But this doesn't keep our local shops in business,and I hate ordering online,old fashioned or what? I don't care.

I don't rate Curry's as a 'local shop', they are a large national retailer and IME going in one of their shops is little different to online shopping, apart from being able to (sometimes) see the product. You ask an assistant a question and IME are likely to just get a load of bulls**t as an answer.

The last time I went to order from them was several years back, for a washing m/c, I wanted to pick it up instore as it was easier for me to do this when passing than to wait about for delivery, they wanted me to pay extra on the price for delivery to the store!

hallii - 2014-03-02 2:47 PM

I like TomTom and I will buy another, nothing else so don't tell me Garmin or whatever is better, I don't care, I will buy a TomTom.

But which one? I saw this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-START-65cm-5Zoll-Lifetime/dp/B00BEBPV30/ref=dp_ob_title_ce#productDescription

Can I input latitude / longtitude in different formats on this?

Which TomTom do you think is best I need maps for Western and eastern Europe and free updates is nice.

Thanks

H

Mine is a TT GO750 Live. Three years old now so didn't come with the free updates TT now do on some models. However it does have full Western Europe mapping and limited East European. It should be noted that TT's East European mapping is limited so even if your unit doesn't have it.....if you pay for a download, that's all you will get. TT do not supply full mapping for Eastern Europe.

Certain countries such as Albania, Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia, Ukraine, Russia etc, all of which are in the 750, you can't input co-ordinates.....no TT GPS will recognise them. I know you specifically don't want Garmin but unfortunately they will recognise co-ords for those countries.

If anything the major gripe i have with my 750 is not the SatNav unit itself but the screen mount holder which is extremely poor. The suction works by twisting the cup. Fine........until you drive a few rough roads which shakes the suction cup loose so the unit continually falls off the screen dropping on the dashboard. There is nothing you can do about it either as TT in their wisdom incorporated the plug fitting in the mount so you cannot buy any 'after market' mount which would be more effective. TT aren't daft!

Brian Kirby - 2014-03-03 11:59 PM

Cliffy - 2014-03-03 10:55 PM........................ it covers as far as Croatia what more do you want?

Depends where you're going Cliff, innit? I want all of Europe, I still have ambition! :-D

Brian

So does Putin the question is will you get there before him >:-)

HI

I had a tom tom for about 6 years and if gave up would not charge so I have a Samsung Note 2 Phone I down loaded the Tom Tom App and used in the UK then I took it on a trip to Spain travelled from Santander to Mazzarron stopping at several places on the way down and Back and it worked better than I though it would, it did take me through Madrid I should have checked the route but no problem returned around Madrid M50 I will not buy a stand alone Tom Tom now

The note 2 phone is quite large as a phone but not to big for any other use show lane changes brilliantly and less chargers to carry

and it will take Latitude and longitude inputs great App as you would expect from Tom Tom

Archived