Email alerts

enodreven

Hi,

I use Mozilla Thunderbird to get all my emails and it works fine, however when I receive any emails from OAB the hot link or what ever you call it , the link that you would normally click on and it would open the web site, doesn't work when you click on it.

The letters of the web address are there but they are in the same type face and colour (Black) as the rest of the email, where as I would have expected them to be in blue as in other emails from other web site.

Hope that makes sense , any suggestions on how to cure the problem would be welcome, as now I have to copy and paste into the browser myself

Thanks

Brian

Hi, Robinhood

Thanks I have been through pages and pages of suggestions, but what I can't understand is why other emails from elsewhere work perfectly, or the links within them work perfectly, e.g. those from ebay etc work perfectly. Its only the alerts from here that have the problem, that is why I thought, perhaps wrongly, that the problem had to be here rather than with Thunderbird.

But I would appreciate your view

Thanks

Brian

Hi, Mel

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm really not sure if I have and I'm not sure how I go about finding out any suggestions please.

Thank Brian

Mel B - 2014-03-03 5:48 PM

Have you inadvertently marked the OAL emails as having 'dubious' links in them? If so then Mozilla will prevent the HTML link from being available.

Hi, Thanks for thinking about it for me, is there anyway that we can test this out, or I wonder if anyone else is using Thunderbird and perhaps getting the same problem ?

Robinhood - 2014-03-03 6:26 PM

I haven't got an example here, but I have a suspicion that OAL may send "plain text" emails, which could be being treated by Thunderbird differently from HTML format emails received from elsewhere.

Hi, Again

I just went direct to yahoo and signed onto my email account and the same thing is happening there, so it seems its nothing to do with Thunderbird.

I have 4 emails in my inbox at Yahoo mail web site 2 are from OAB and the links within them are same type as the text no hot link, albeit the web address etc. for the link that I can copy and paste is all correct, it just doesn't do anything.

But both of the remaining emails not from OAB each have links in them that work fine, so I think you may be onto something about the way OAB send out there alerts,

The question is what do I need to do to make them work, as I'm sure they work for others

Thanks

Brian

.....well, I've found a very old email from OAL which, from it's properties, does appear to be plain text, not HTML.

It contains a URL which I can see as a Hyperlink (clickable).

BUT, a plain text eMail cannot transmit a Hyperlink; what is happening is that my eMail client is recognising a URL (from the HTTP://....) and turning it into a hyperlink after receipt. It will do the same for eMail addresses (by recognising the A@b.com type structure). The only thing it cannot resolve after receipt is a hyperlink attached to a text word in an email (since, for a plain text eMail, these are not transmitted, as they would be for HTML emails).

AIUI, not all eMail clients will do this resolution for plain text Emails, or may need settings tweaked to do so (e.g. something like "read as plain text").

I'm not au fait with thunderbird, so I can't say whether this is the underlying issue, but it looks like it may be. Might be worthwhile looking for some read settings.

....from the following:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_content_types (In reading messages/plain text)

it is clear that Thunderbird does have the ability to recognise links (URLs and email addresses) in plain text emails, and convert them to hyperlinks.

What isn't clear is whether this only happens if you read the email as "plain text", or when using the default setting of HTML. (this is the case for some clients, and in the above link, the bit about converting to hyperlinks only appears under the "plain text" paragraph.

It would be worth a quick change of your Thunderbird settings to "View – Message Body As – Plain Text" to see if it makes a difference.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

I changed the settings as you suggested to Plain Text and Bingo!!! it works, I can't thank you enough, as to keep copy and pasting was getting really boring.

Thanks

Brian

I have another problem now, it appears that I can't set view in plain text for just certain incoming email addresses, which is annoying, but at least its only a couple of clicks now, rather than the whole copy - open browser - paste - go everytime.

Robinhood - 2014-03-04 7:38 AM

....from the following:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_content_types (In reading messages/plain text)

it is clear that Thunderbird does have the ability to recognise links (URLs and email addresses) in plain text emails, and convert them to hyperlinks.

What isn't clear is whether this only happens if you read the email as "plain text", or when using the default setting of HTML. (this is the case for some clients, and in the above link, the bit about converting to hyperlinks only appears under the "plain text" paragraph.

It would be worth a quick change of your Thunderbird settings to "View – Message Body As – Plain Text" to see if it makes a difference.

.....you'll just have to be aware that it could have some (possibly unwanted) effect on received HTML eMails as it removes the ability to display advanced HTML eMail content (which may not be an issue if you don't already take advantage of it).

Just keep an eye out for any new differences.

Archived