Getting stuck on grass

Coachman

What a laugh, am about to have new fencing put up (gales) so thought I would help by putting camper on front lawn.Like many of you the grass is sodden so bought these special join together plastic tiles that let grass etc come through. Laid down 6 just to see how they behaved, first two disapeard and next one broke in half, I was about two m in and the front wheels went down to the hubs.Now these mats are supposed to take 7.5 tons.Ours is 3.4 klg total. So had heck of a job getting it back on drive and had to use power washer for the mud underneath afterwards. Now we have two deep grooves in lawn to repair, and what a job to clean in cab as I was in and out of it...The fencers did not require me to move it any way LOL.. Bye the way the panels worked out at £83 from B&Q.

...83 quid!?..Blimey!

The four ground guard tiles we carry in the van, were about 3 quid each when we bought 'em..

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/Ground+Drainage/Ground+Guard+Single+Tile/d10/sd3226/p94411

..and in their defence, as I assume yours didn't break, they did indeed carry the weight..it was the ground that couldn't... (lol)

I remember at my first house,(I was late teens/early twenties)and I laid a lot of gravel alongside the drive',for addition parking).."That's no good" says the then,OH's Granddad.."what do you know..ya daft old bugger!" I thought..that was, until I nose dived the car into it and got stuck! :$ (lol)

I don't think it is anything to do with the mats if the ground is that soft nothing will stop the wheels sinking in unless you use something large enough to bridge the soft ground.

Generally ground mats or bread crates work well at spreading the load but there are limits, sounds like your lawn was more like a marsh than just a bit of soft grass.

You've just reminded me of getting a 'all terrain' crane stuck a few years back, had to move a 1t concrete block about 50 yards so was intending just lifting and carrying, drove across to it hooked up and lifted, thought "thats strange seemed to be a bit slow to lift" went to reverse and crane had sunk in to axle in a soft patch, the extra 1t was just to much and that was with wheels nearly as tall as me! Had to tow it out with the aircraft recovery tractor :$

You really don't need to spend loadsa money on gizmos or expensive solutions to what is a simple matter of weight distribution.

For many years I have used 4 wooden squares each made up of varnished (makes 'em easy to clean) 3/4" marine ply, each about 12" square, but bigger is better if you can store them OK. You get better grip for a few inches more when pulling off if you place them diagonally rather than square to the van sides and as we all know - every little helps!

Being rigid they do not flex and thus spread the wheel load evenly throughout their entire area whereas a wheel, being curved and relatively narrow distorts anything flexible upon which it stands which helps that sinking feeling take over.

Not only do the wheels not sink but there is invaluable grip to get the van rolling as soon as the clutch bites which gives the impetus to drive clear as the undriven wheels do not have to be dragged out of their self dug pit - as long as you don't stop till you reach hard ground to walk back to retrieve the pads!

However there are limits and although we have never yet been stuck on a show site and needed a tractor to get of, we have needed one to get on a time or two.

Common sense dictates that we don't try this on really saturated ground where there is no tractor available, or where there is risk of deep damage that might upset the owners of the ground!

Tracker,

To get a slightly longer run my 3/4" ply boards are approx 12" X 18" and fit nicely into a space in an exterior locker. I avoid grass if at all possible but if no choice and intend a longer than overnight stop put them down in case of rain. It probably pays in terms of reduced clutch wear levering up out out of the inevitable wheel sinkage in our green and pleasant land.

George Collings - 2014-03-05 8:51 PM

Tracker,

To get a slightly longer run my 3/4" ply boards are approx 12" X 18" and fit nicely into a space in an exterior locker. I avoid grass if at all possible but if no choice and intend a longer than overnight stop put them down in case of rain. It probably pays in terms of reduced clutch wear levering up out out of the inevitable wheel sinkage in our green and pleasant land.

Great minds think alike then George!!

Billggski - 2014-03-06 7:43 AM

If you tie your boards to the rear bumper with a length of cord then you pull them after you so you don't have to walk back over the mud/sand to retrieve them.

It also stops them ejecting at speed into the spectators behind you.

Sorry - I can see what you mean but they have never 'ejected at speed' off of grass and if they did, being front wheel drive, it would not matter and if they happen to catch on something whilst moving or be well buried something will break - sorry but on balance I think I prefer walking back before I take my wellies off!

I did neglect to say that all four have a strong rope loop in one corner with which to lift and carry, and a strong carrier bag to store them in.

Softly softly is what gets you out, Just enough revs so the motor is pulling properly and vey gently ease the clutch in. If wheelspin starts declutch sharpish to avoid digging in. Dependent on what you find to spread the load or harden the ground try once more before looking for a tow out. I leave ploughing ground to the farmers.

Billggski - 2014-03-07 8:15 AM

Hi Tracker, my tip was useful in the Serengeti when you would have to drive a long way to clear the mud in the wet season, and wandering back to find your tracks was a bit risky, what with the wildlife and all that.

I'm so sorry Bill - I had not realised that we were all going to the Serengeti in the rainy season!

For most of us it is a but a few yards to walk back during which time you can acknowledge the admiring glances of all of those less fortunate than yourself who are up to their axles in the brown stuff and patiently awaiting their turn with the tractor!

Mind you I too have seen plenty of evidence of what can only be described as 'wild life' on camp sites and show grounds!!

We put the wheels on cheap rubber car mats if stopping overnight in rainy season (mind you, would have had to park on rubber dingies if camping on the levels) always as near to the road (if there is one) and pull away slowly in second gear.

Pete

breakaleg - 2014-03-07 3:39 PM

We put the wheels on cheap rubber car mats if stopping overnight in rainy season (mind you, would have had to park on rubber dinghies if camping on the levels) always as near to the road (if there is one) and pull away slowly in second gear.

Pete

Because rubber mats mould to the tyre shape and size - round and narrow - instead of wide and square to spread the load more evenly - the wheel will still sink almost as much on soft ground.

breakaleg - 2014-03-08 12:43 PM

Be alright in the east season though tracker.

Seriously though, it works, but we do tend to take the van off each day and rarely spend more than one night on a site

I do so agree - once a night on a site is enough!

Archived