Andrew James Cooker

Suda

Please can you tell me if an Andrew James Halogen Cooker is ok to use when on hook up. I blew the electrics at a site in Morocco when I used a double hot plate, so don't want to waste more money. Thankyou.

Suda - 2014-03-04 4:09 PM

Please can you tell me if an Andrew James Halogen Cooker is ok to use when on hook up. I blew the electrics at a site in Morocco when I used a double hot plate, so don't want to waste more money. Thankyou.

I assume it depends on the amps available on site.

My microwave has blown the electrics once or twice when amperage has been too low.

;-)

Suda - 2014-03-04 4:09 PM

As others have said it depends on the current taken by the hotplate, and that available from the site. The hotplate should have a stated consumption, but it will probably be quoted in Watts. You need to know the Amps, so divide the Watts by the Voltage (usually taken as being 230), and you have the Amps. As an example, a 1,500W hotplate (two individual 750W elements) will take about 6.5 Amps (1,500/230 = 6.5217). Many European campsites limit the supply to 6A so, allowing for your fridge and your battery charger, if you use both elements of the hotplate at full blast you would trip the supply. You might just about get away with it in most places on a 10A supply, but campsite breakers do seem to get a bit trigger happy with age! However, don't use an electric kettle (or pretty much anything else electrical!) at the same time!

I found one reference to the Wattage of these ovens, which quotes it as 1,300W (or 5.7 Amps) - among loads of waffle about its low consumption with no corroboration. It is not clear which version you have been looking at, (there are at least two), but I would not class 1,300W as particularly low.

If you want low Wattage, I would suggest either a slow cooker, or a Remoska from Lakeland. The standard Remoska runs at 400W, the larger one at 580W. All will be slower than the Andrew James, the slow cookers being slowest of all. You should be able to use any on pretty well any campsite: there are few that get below 5A - though one we encountered in Portugal was down to 3A! It is all a matter of heat: quick cooking needs high heat, requiring more electrical power (more Watts). Slow cooking uses less heat, so less power, so lower Watts, so needs more time. But, the food tastes better! :-)

Wow Brian!! Thankyou for the detailed reply and especially for making me understand the mathematics of electrical appliances after my years in a tin tent.

There is still time to make a decision on what to buy, but perhaps in Morocco, the regularity of finding the correct amps on sites, if last year was anything to go by, will be hard to find.

Remoskas are very cheap to run (I don't think they need a lot of watts?) we used it all time and they guaranteed a lifetime by Lakeland ... Great for roast chicken and veg . Yummy :) pp...use it at home now we are van less .

Which size have you got please Charlie. There are 2 of us so we wondered if the 7litre would be suitable. Could you give me the dimensions of yours, especially if you can give me some idea of depth and width of bowl as we are short on space.

Archived