Myferry's your experiance

enodreven

Guest Had Enough

I'm assuming you mean MyFerryLink? We used them last August, Dover to Calais. It was fine, on time and lots of space. It's only an hour or so, so we we didn't use the restaurant for dinner, but on the return journey I had a very reasonably priced breakfast with very good bacon, sausages and toast etc.

The price was £68.75 return for two people and a 6.75 metre 'van, which I think is very good value in high season. We went out early evening and returned at about 0830.

As for them being around in twelve months I've no idea as to their balance sheet or profitability. Is there some doubt about the company's viability?

P&O and DFDS don't like cheap efficient competition, as shown when they used every trick in the book to get rid of the last independent company.

We used Myferrylink last year and would be happy to use them again.

We used them this year in January and early Feb. They are the old Sealink ferries but have been renovated pretty well and have the Sealink deals. We bought the six trips offer, as we did with Sealink for several years, we think this deal is unbeatable, very flexible with hardly any restrictions. Use it for car and the van and you can give two trips away if you wish. Will they last, do not know or care, when Sealink went bust we still had two trips left but money was refunded to us in full.

We've used them several times and they have always been the lowest prices, the service always on time or early and the ships very acceptable being on a par with the other carriers - not that it matters too much on a 2 hour trip!

When they are no longer the best prices we will use the carrier that is .

If Myferry is allowed to keep operating Dover - Calais, it is likely that one of the others will pull out, that would mean Eurotunnel having an unfair advantage on the route. It could then force the remaining ferry company out by drastically under cutting. On the other hand, maybe re-start the Folkestone - Boulogne route, there could be no complaints then, different route but similar departure - arrival points.

Dave

Slightly off topic I know but :-D on the longer crossing ie; Hull to Holland ! what do you do with the dog or dogs in our case?

I went online yesterday and compared prices as O.H wouldn't mind crossing from Hull as the 6 hour journey from home is getting a bit much and he hates the Dartford crossing! it came back as the cheapest £196 each way, were very tempted but cant find any details on what we do with the dogs.

Hi,

Just trying to decide if its worth buying a 3 return crossing Garnet, it appears it will work out around £41.25 each way, that's the standard Garnet at £33 + 25% for the motor-home, there are some additional dates when extra charges may apply but I'm assuming I will be able to miss them.

Each return crossing which is fully amendable and works out at £82.50 which in my opinion is a very good deal.

However, my concern is if they lose the legal battle will I get any outstanding money back (unused crossings), I know someone said earlier that they did when it was Seafrance, which to the best of my knowledge SNCF probably covered any debts at that time as I believe Seafrance were basically bankrupt.

Do you think that if the worst happened and they stopped operating would our travel insurance pick up the tab for the unused crossings ? any one know ?

Hi Enodreven, the cost you are stating is far more than I am paying for our three crossings, Dover Calais, with DFDS so personally speaking I would go with DFDS if you have any worries regarding Myferry as it is cheaper anyway and potentially more stable.

Bas

Iain Strachan - 2014-03-06 1:40 PM

P&O web site states 15 pound each way for pets, they stay in air conditioned kennels on car deck! Hull Zeebrugge is a good ferry we have used often its still 7 hrs drive from home but thats a lot less than Dover!

Thanks for that Iain :-D

Basil - 2014-03-08 1:28 PM

Hi Enodreven, the cost you are stating is far more than I am paying for our three crossings, Dover Calais, with DFDS so personally speaking I would go with DFDS if you have any worries regarding Myferry as it is cheaper anyway and potentially more stable.

Bas

While this may be true, and I would doubt they are far higher, you do not say how flexible your crossing dates are. the MyFerrylink offer is pretty much open ended. Even in August you pay no extra unless travelling at the weekend so I would want to know how restricting the prices you got are. With myferry you can just turn up and even if you have pre-booked their is no extra to pay for arriving at a different time. This with us is a big plus as we rarely know our return date and even going out we know the day but travelling from North Wales never to sure when we will get there. If someone is worried about the company going away surely you would pay with a card so the card company should cover it.

I recently booked a return ferry on DFDS going out the end of September returning middle of November, I booke it through the caravan club at £69 return. After reading this I thought I'd just check My Ferry.....the price was DOUBLE this one !!!!

rupert123 - 2014-03-08 3:41 PM

While this may be true, and I would doubt they are far higher, you do not say how flexible your crossing dates are. the MyFerrylink offer is pretty much open ended. Even in August you pay no extra unless travelling at the weekend so I would want to know how restricting the prices you got are. With myferry you can just turn up and even if you have pre-booked their is no extra to pay for arriving at a different time. This with us is a big plus as we rarely know our return date and even going out we know the day but travelling from North Wales never to sure when we will get there. If someone is worried about the company going away surely you would pay with a card so the card company should cover it.

First you may be a doubter but I consider £59 return to be much cheaper. The dates and times are amendable but not refundable, I can live with that!

I know that I could have bought DFDS multi trip under the same conditions as Myferry multi trip but as I didn't want that number of crossings I am happy with my choice and have the flexibility I need at a cheaper price without having to wonder if my trips will be compromised due to the company stopping trading!

I am afraid paying by credit card is not necessarily a saviour as you have to spend over £100 in one transaction, as you have to pay for each crossing separately, unless you buy a carnet, the cost by any company (probably apart from Eurotunnel) is under £100.

Bas

Basil - 2014-03-08 7:15 PM

rupert123 - 2014-03-08 3:41 PM

First you may be a doubter but I consider £59 return to be much cheaper. The dates and times are amendable but not refundable, I can live with that!

I know that I could have bought DFDS multi trip under the same conditions as Myferry multi trip but as I didn't want that number of crossings I am happy with my choice and have the flexibility I need at a cheaper price without having to wonder if my trips will be compromised due to the company stopping trading!

I am afraid paying by credit card is not necessarily a saviour as you have to spend over £100 in one transaction, as you have to pay for each crossing separately, unless you buy a carnet, the cost by any company (probably apart from Eurotunnel) is under £100.

Bas

So DFDS are immune to going bust are they, how does that work? As we are talking about carnets, at least the original poster and myself are, the price is well over £100 and no I would not consider the price of £59 much better especially with the restriction on the dates.

Guest JudgeMental

Eurotunnel frequent traveller is only £43 + £11 motorhome supplement per leg. And you can share scheme now. Look at my thread on subject, a few of us have successfully shared this scheme already .....

Thee have been no DFDS NEC show offer deals this year!

rupert123 - 2014-03-09 9:40 AM

So DFDS are immune to going bust are they, how does that work? As we are talking about carnets, at least the original poster and myself are, the price is well over £100 and no I would not consider the price of £59 much better especially with the restriction on the dates.

No they most certainly are not but as the OP was questioning about a company that has already been told to stop there is more certainty with one that is still trading normally.

As I have already stated there is no restriction on dates for the DFDS crossings I have, they are fully amendable, only that they are non refundable unlike the Carnet that have supplements on certain dates that you may chose to travel.

Fair enough that you don't consider £30 less to be much cheaper however I do, so I suppose it depends on your perception, around 40% reduction seems much cheaper to me!

Bas

By the way if you are comparing Carnet offers, DFDS is also cheaper for much the same deal as Myferry

12+ return trips for £22 each way

9-11 return trips for £25 each way

5-8 return trips for £27 each way

3-4 return trips for £29 each way

(*peak supplement dates/times apply, see below)

Compared to

6 single / 3 return tickets for £33 each way / £198 total

10 single / 5 return tickets for £31 each way / £310 total

18 single / 9 return tickets for £29 each way / £522 total

24 single / 12 return tickets for £27 each way / £648 total

JudgeMental - 2014-03-09 10:42 AM

Thee have been no DFDS NEC show offer deals this year!

Suppose you don't have to when you are already the cheapest! :D :D :D

Bas

enodreven - 2014-03-09 7:15 PM

Hi that looks like a better deal, I must admit when I checked with DFDS last year you couldnt use their Garnet with a motorhome so I didnt check this year,

Thanks for the update

It does look good and I checked yesterday, it is for cars only so will stick with Myferry.

Hi, I have just telephoned DFDS to book the Multi Trip and they have informed me that I can't use it for a motorhome, even if I want to pay a supplement, its only for cars, what a bummer ? I thought I was on to a winner :-S :-S

If you have any way of changing there mind please let me know, but I don't like those 0871 numbers to often ? LoL

You are both right, that is a change from last year that I was unaware of, many apologies!

Mind you with the 25% supplement for motorhomes you would need to buy the 18 singles to match the DFDS single booked return I have.

By the way you don't need to phone the 0871 number for DFDS as 02081278303 is a normal landline number that goes to the same phone bank.

Bas

Archived