Captain tollways creeping crack cure.

Keavn

Hi. Any of you gentlemen had any dealings with captain trolleys invention, plus where can we obtain same. I amA sure you will come up with some lovely answersto this sticky question,perhaps you can oblige please.and. You will save me a lot dosh plus the time no mention the aggro. Thank you in antisepation.

Hi Keavn welcome to the Best FREE forum around, I used the creeping crack cure on our shower tray, it worked for a while but eventually succumbed to the flexing of the shower tray, I also used it on the external trim on the side of the M/H where it seems to have worked, here's a link for you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcreaping+crack+cure&_nkw=creaping+crack+cure&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have an area of a GRP panel which has a patch of what I believe is called "Craising" or something similar of the top coat

Would this crack cure be any good for stoppkng it from getting any worse or better still disguising it altogether? Or is there another product that could help.

I think Crazing is what you mean Cliffy.

Star Crazing can be caused by many things -

Impact damage.

Hard spots in areas that flex

Excess resin thickness in areas of load

The list goes on

Capt Tolleys won't really help IMO

The only way to deal with it is to grind out and re-gel, which is pointless if anything other than impact has caused the problem. As you have already had a go at GRP work you will understand that re-gelling and getting a good finish and colour match is not so easy.

Normally a bit of crazing won't do a great deal of harm, although of course I've not seen the extent of it.

Cliffy - 2014-03-09 7:23 PMI have an area of a GRP panel which has a patch of what I believe is called "Craising" or something similar of the top coatWould this crack cure be any good for stoppkng it from getting any worse or better still disguising it altogether? Or is there another product that could help.

I had it on our last Motorhome its in the top coat often referred to as the Gel coat, I had great results with this,  (see link) but it still requires rubbing down with very fine glass paper, and re painting ,its also good on GRP boats,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xgelcoat&_nkw=gelcoat+filler&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I've used it in the motorhome for plastic cracks in the roof light. needs to be done carefully and it does take time to work. I decided not to use it on the acrylic windows cracks because I could have made a bigger mess!

Bought ours from Spinney's accessory shop in Cheshire.

Corky 8 - 2014-03-09 9:02 PM
Cliffy - 2014-03-09 7:23 PMI have an area of a GRP panel which has a patch of what I believe is called "Craising" or something similar of the top coatWould this crack cure be any good for stoppkng it from getting any worse or better still disguising it altogether? Or is there another product that could help.

I had it on our last Motorhome its in the top coat often referred to as the Gel coat, I had great results with this,  (see link) but it still requires rubbing down with very fine glass paper, and re painting ,its also good on GRP boats,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xgelcoat&_nkw=gelcoat+filler&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The crazing is hardly noticeable it is only visible when up close. I have just repaired an area with Gel Coat filler and the colour mismatch would be much more noticeable than the crazing , so I think I will leave it and see how it goes.Thanks for your help.

Captains crack sealer is really watery if you are not careful it gets every where. Make sure you clean any spills immediately with a very damp cloth and continue to clean and rinse the cloth regularly until there is no sign of residue left as once it dries out its almost impossible to remove.

Had this problem with the skylight window on my Knaus where Captains cure dribbled down the side of the skylight even when I thought it had dried out it continued to seep out overnight and left what now looks like a dark rain water streak.

But it does do what it says on the bottle,good stuff

Brian

BKen1 - 2014-03-11 5:04 PM

Captains crack sealer is really watery if you are not careful it gets every where. Make sure you clean any spills immediately with a very damp cloth and continue to clean and rinse the cloth regularly until there is no sign of residue left as once it dries out its almost impossible to remove.

Had this problem with the skylight window on my Knaus where Captains cure dribbled down the side of the skylight even when I thought it had dried out it continued to seep out overnight and left what now looks like a dark rain water streak.

But it does do what it says on the bottle,good stuff

Brian

I contacted Captain Tolley about this & he was really helpful - clean up spills with WD40 which will even remove streaks after they have dried.

It really is excellent stuff.

Guest peter
This stuff is only like watered down Copydex (latex) and isn't worth the stupid price. Better to cure the problem properly IMO.

peter - 2014-03-11 10:33 PM

This stuff is only like watered down Copydex (latex) and isn't worth the stupid price. Better to cure the problem properly IMO.

No .... it's acrylic, it's relatively cheap (£5-10) & easy to use. It works really very well when used as intended.

It isn't a cure all, but it does stop many leaks. It has permanently cured leaks around the windscreen of my 2CV & on the yacht I sail on, so sorry Peter, you are both wrong & misinformed.

Archived