Condensation

tasman

Hi everybody My van is a 2006 Pilote A class, very nice but we are getting condensation on the ceiling above the drop down bed . You expect condensation in cold weather when you are using the van, cooking etc and I can deal with that but it occurs whether or not the van is occupied. There is a particular strip which coincides with a seam across the roof where I presume there is a structural member where it is worst but the condensation also forms on the hard plastic head lining over the bed. Does anyone else have this problem and more interestingly has anyone got a solution?

The head lining is some sort of solid plastic molding. It would be a major major job to take it down and do something about the insulation between it and the roof and I am wondering if it might be possible to fix to it some sort of fabric which would create a warmer surface thereby reducing the propensity to form condensation???

Great Mag MMM.

Guest JudgeMental
What about trying a bit more ventilation and removing the mattress when van not in use, let's hope its nothing more serious, also do you use silver screens or Taylor made screen covers on that big cab window...it may help?

Hi, Yes we have a made to measure screen cover from Van Comfort ( brilliant company did it while we waited) and we use this together with the concertina blinds in side and we get zero condensation on the windows but it does form on the strip I mentioned earlier and to a lesser extent on the over cab headlining

Condensation will form on the coldest area it can find so maybe you are too well insulated in other areas windscreen blind and concertina blinds or maybe the air in the van is heavy with water for some reason cooking drying clothes no vents open in the roof or hopefully not damp forming somewhere hidden. Just my thoughts we only get condensation when cooking and as soon as we switch the extractor fan on it goes.

Guest peter
As suggested, drop the bed a bit when not in use. Aldo don't take it right up to the ceiling when you are using it. The reason being is that your body give out quite a bit of moisture whilst you are sleeping, so if you get out of bed and raise it right up soon after, this moisture will condense on the cold roof and will also make the bedding more moist. We never put the bed hard up to the ceiling in our van whilst in use for this very reason.

It has been a rotten year for weather and condensation forming weather. Our Rapido developed mold and condensation problems which went unnoticed for a short period.

Eventually we found two leaks, one in the cab area and the other from the Henki in the rear of the m/home.

I would suggest a good look around just to make certain that the condensation you have is not being formed because of water ingress in other areas.

Rgds

For condensation to form as you describe, the air inside the van has to be relatively humid. That humidity is probably coming from the fabric of the van itself, including furnishing materials, cushions, mattresses etc, and will be released into the air inside the van as the sunnier weather begins to warm it. Then, under clear skys at night, the fabric cools rapidly. Constructional joints create cold bridges, so become colder quicker, and the warm humid air in the van will dump its excess moisture at these points.

As above, lowering the bed to maximise air movements will help, but you really need to get into the van during the warmest part of the day and open all doors and windows to ensure it is thoroughly ventilated, and leave it open for as long as possible, but close it again before any dew begins forming. Then, try to ensure as much permanent ventilation as possible without prejudicing security or leaving the van prone to rain entering.

Spring is the season of maximum condensation, as things that have become cold over winter come into contact with warmer, more humid, air. This is often noticeable on buildings, but also with misty mornings. If there is no water ingress locally, this change of season will almost certainly be the cause.

Thank you Brian, for reading my post and giving me one of if not probably the most relevant reply to date.

As you will no doubt realise I am aware of the causes of condensation from a technical point of view and was merely trying to ascertain if my idea of covering the said surface with a "warm" material might encourage the condensation to form on another surface, for example the cab windows (which are not currently covered) where it might not be so inconvenient to dry off. The van is pretty well ventilated and does not show other signs of water ingress.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws!!!!

Condensation will form on any surface that is below the dew point temperature of the surounding air. So yes, if you insulate the existing cold bridges so that they stay above the air's dew point, the condensation will form on whatever other surface it finds that is below its dew point. If no surfaces are sufficiently cold, no condensation will form, and the air will merely retain its moisture content.

Archived