How long is too long?

multiplamum

multiplamum - 2014-03-19 8:18 PM

No, I may be confused about a lot but not about the French bed. Some of the French beds we have seen are so cut off that my feet would have to levitate.

Why are they called "French" beds anyway? It suggests that you can't be "partnered up" in France unless there is an absolute minimum 6 inch height difference. :D

flicka - 2014-03-20 7:37 PM

Webbs have the new dealership for Adria's new Sun Life models. A review of the S42SL is in April 2014 MMM mag. Length 6.6m £36/£38k & has 2 single beds over garage. A budget model, but looks a lot of kit for that money.

We did look at this and liked it very much except - no radio and no cab air con in basic price plus apparently they are going up in price once existing ones are sold.

We have made a decision and having had fixed easily accessible sleeping as our number one priority we have purchased a Bessacarr e510 which has two sofas in the lounge which easily convert to single beds. We decided that the manoeuvrability of the vehicle was more important than the inconvenience of bedmaking. Hope we don't regret it - but if we do what's the worst that can happen!

lennyhb - 2014-03-17 9:57 AM.............If you on planning on using the van mainly across the channel 7.3m will not be a problem. France is Motorhome heaven, occasionally a medieval town will be too tight to drive through but there will always be parking on the edge of the town,. Most of the interesting towns will have a Camping Car Aire................

I agree with Lenny. In France this size of van is now very popular, mainly due to the appeal of island beds. Most places you might wish to visit will have an aire within striking distance (often just within walking distance), most "attractions" will have adequate parking for vans, most supermarkets will have adequete parking (so long as you avoid Saturdays :-)), and there are also a huge number of camp sites within a reasonable distance of towns and villages. Remember that you can use an aire in the middle of the day to visit a town, and then move on elsewhere for the night if you wish to stop somewhere quieter.

All I would add, is that whereas the above is generally true across the breadth and length of France, it does not translate to many other countries (including much of the UK). So, if considering future trips outside France, you will find that the added length becomes more of a challenge.

I would urge you to look also at width. Many vans are now 2.35 metres body width, with substantially extended mirrors that are vulnerable to knocks. I would suggest that width, rather than length, is the main difficulty when trying to access smaller places along minor roads, and this is, again, a more acute problem once outside France. Vans of 2.1, or 2.15, metres body width, make a huge difference in tight places! As above, try before you buy.

Archived