Rapido 691FF - 2011 model

Thurlestone

I am looking to update my motorhome Knaus SunTi 650 (2008) and have seen a Rapido 691 (2011) for sale which has a 130bhp multijet engine. The van weighs up to 3500kg laden and I am wondering if this engine is powerful enough for the task and if it will give reasonable fuel consumption. My present van is a Renault Master with a 2.5 engine and returns about 29.6 mpg. Has anyone experience of this model please and could offer any advise about it's + and - points or anything to look for when purchasing.

Thanks

Thurlestone

Can't comment on a Rapido, but the Fiat 2.3 130 multijet is a good drive with more than enough ommph for a 3.5 tonne van in nearly 6 years in the last van and we were always running at the 3.5 limit never felt the need for more power.

Economy obviously will vary with the aerodynamics of the van but with the amount you are spending on a 2011 van if it costs one or two hundred quid a year in fuel does it really matter. Out of our last Hymer 28 mpg with steady driving was fairly easy to achieve, even managed on one trip 30mpg, also have been as low as 22mpg when cruising at 70 with a strong head wind.

If the van is Euro 5 they are supposed to be 15% more economical.

lennyhb - 2014-03-23 11:28 AM

....but if all the claims made for fuel-efficiency improvements had cumulatively come to pass since I ran a van many years ago on a 2.5td Sofim-engined Fiat, we'd all be seeing the mid-40s per gallon now.

(Cynical of Sherwood)

;-)

A review and video-clips are here

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/review/motorhome/rapido-691

The Rapido 691 is a longish design (7.37m) and the 3500kg 'standard' version will have a relatively low payload. (It's also available nowadays with a 3650kg or 4250kg maximum overall weight chassis, which is often a sign of limited payload at 3500kg.)

Powerplant options are currently the 130bhp or 148bhp Fiat 2.3litre motor (the 3.0litre motor is not offered for the 691) but (as lennyhb advises) the former should provide adequate performance. Fuel economy should be no worse than your Renault-powered Knaus.

Some vehicles (for example this one)

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/classifieds/item/915-2011-rapido-691ff-motorhome-for-sale/

have Rapido's optional 'Smiley' front section. Repairs to this may be more expensive than for the original Fiat Ducato front. Otherwise, I can't think of anything unusual to beware of.

Robinhood - 2014-03-23 11:39 AM

lennyhb - 2014-03-23 11:28 AM

....but if all the claims made for fuel-efficiency improvements had cumulatively come to pass since I ran a van many years ago on a 2.5td Sofim-engined Fiat, we'd all be seeing the mid-40s per gallon now.

(Cynical of Sherwood)

;-)

I did say "supposed" a friend has just taken delivery of a new Euro 5 Motorhome and with a band new tight engine he noticed an improvement more like 5-7% may get better when its run in, obviously Fiats figures will be taken under ideal conditions.

And of course if we fit all those fuel saving gadgets we will be producing fuel as we drive along rather than using it. :D

Archived