Western Isles v Northern Isles

jwj

Hi Folks.

Before booking a return trip to the Western Isles I would like to have the views of anyone who has been to both the Western/Northern isles.

a, Is the scenery/atmosphere worth the extra travel to Orkney/Shetland?

b. Can you book an Island hopper ticket to move between islands?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Jiim

Hi Rupert,

I have been to Bara up to Harris and Lewis also Mull and through Ardnamurchan to Skye over three different trips.

I was wondering if in your view the trip northwards is worth the extra travel and possibly rough crossing or would it be a very similar experience.

Hi Rupert,

I have been to Bara up to Harris and Lewis also Mull and through Ardnamurchan to Skye over three different trips.

I was wondering if in your view the trip northwards is worth the extra travel and possibly rough crossing or would it be a very similar experience.

You would travel to Aberdeen for the ferry and return after doing both islands.

Well worth the visit and plenty of wildcamp places.

Goto Aberdeen, ferry to Shetland, ferry to Orkney, ferry to near john o groats.

Travel along north coast heading west to Ullapool, ferry to Lewis and either out from Harris to Skye or keep going down through the Uists etc.

Jim . They are seperate companies running the ferries to the Western Isles, Cal-mac, and the Northern Isles which have two ferry services, Pentland and North Link. Unfortunately you cannot buy a combined ferries ticket for all of the ferries.

Pentland only go to Orkney while North link do both Orkney and Shetland.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide to do.

jwj - 2014-03-23 4:47 PM

Hi Rupert,

OK, never been to Shetland but feel Orkney is well worth the trip. Although the mountains are our favourite places we also like old towns, villages and historic stuff. We would return to Orkney but would not go back to Outer Hebrides, frankly we got bored with them. Some nice scenary on Harris and some decent coast but no towns or villages worth a visit and little of historic interest. The Orkneys are completely different, the only hilly island is Hoy, we got a ferry across from our base on mainland, then a taxi and spent a day walking to the Old Man. However their is some decent coastel stuff and some nice small towns, Stromness is like going back to the 50,s still, we stayed on a campsite right on the waters edge, nice spot. A lot to see here and we will go back some time. We used Pentland ferries, cheaper and shorter trip.

I think Ive done 18 Scottish Islands including Orkney (Twice) and Shetland. My favourite to be honest is the Isle of Arran which is probably the easiest to get to. We set out to go to Muckle Flugga once which is the most northern part of the British Isles at 61 degrees north.

I could have gone to Australia quicker. 12 hours on the ferry from Aberdeen to Shetland. Drive over the island, ferry to Yell, ferry to Unst (which is just very odd) and a boat ride to Muckle Flugga. took 4 days.

Cal Mac do the hop scotch deals for several of the Hebredian islands and the inter island ferries around the Shetlands are cheap but it isnt cheap getting there. Also you will find if you go to the Airport on Orkney you can get really cheap flights out to the other islands where you can go for a few hours and have a wander about.

There is an observatory on North Ronaldsay in the Orkneys where you can fly up from the main island and stay overnight.

They are all a bit bonkers to be honest.

Barryd999 - 2014-03-24 1:57 PM

I think Ive done 18 Scottish Islands including Orkney (Twice) and Shetland. My favourite to be honest is the Isle of Arran which is probably the easiest to get to. We set out to go to Muckle Flugga once which is the most northern part of the British Isles at 61 degrees north.

I could have gone to Australia quicker. 12 hours on the ferry from Aberdeen to Shetland. Drive over the island, ferry to Yell, ferry to Unst (which is just very odd) and a boat ride to Muckle Flugga. took 4 days.

Cal Mac do the hop scotch deals for several of the Hebredian islands and the inter island ferries around the Shetlands are cheap but it isnt cheap getting there. Also you will find if you go to the Airport on Orkney you can get really cheap flights out to the other islands where you can go for a few hours and have a wander about.

There is an observatory on North Ronaldsay in the Orkneys where you can fly up from the main island and stay overnight.

Fascinating and informative thanks Barry! We've toured the Outer Hebrides, and have wondered about Orkney and Shetland. And Arran was also vaguely on our radar - perhaps that's where we should go next. Supposed to Be 'Scotland in miniature' I understand. Certainly a lot easier and cheaper than the Northern Isles.

Mike

No island hopper on North Isles but Orkney should be a priority. No midges, no Sunday closing, 3 really good sites and any amount of wild camping, best trout fishing in the UK, lovely beaches, can be windy like all Islands, ferry about £70 one way from Gills Bay. Good shopping in Kirkwall.

Go and enjoy.

Not much help as a comparison as I have only been to Orkney and Shetland. Still in Shetland now, and all I can say is its wonderful. I am parked tonight behind the Sumburgh Hotel which has Jarlshof in its garden. EU and water plus a seaview and free wi-fi for £5.

My blog is not up to date as I am being lazy and surfing the net, but there is some info on there

www.thebusphoebeandme.us

I think the Shetlanders are the most friendly welcoming and courteous people I have ever met, and driving my big bus on their roads has been easy thanks to their considerate driving.

I am going back via Orkney as I want to visit some of the islands

mikebeaches - 2014-03-29 8:47 PM

Barryd999 - 2014-03-24 1:57 PM

Fascinating and informative thanks Barry! We've toured the Outer Hebrides, and have wondered about Orkney and Shetland. And Arran was also vaguely on our radar - perhaps that's where we should go next. Supposed to Be 'Scotland in miniature' I understand. Certainly a lot easier and cheaper than the Northern Isles.

Mike

Arran is still my favourite. Some of the best wilding spots in Europe, a couple of CL sites and if you want them some very good campsites.

I am biased though as Michelle and I have been going there for over 20 years from when we first met. Sometimes 5 times a year before we got the motorhome and discovered the rest of Europe.

As we might not get across the water this year I think I may go up there in the late spring. May / June is the best time to go.

Some pics here https://sites.google.com/site/hanktestsite2/blog/the-isle-of-arran

mikebeaches - 2014-04-02 2:38 PM

The Arran pics look great - thanks again Barry! :-D

Only problem, now you've highlighted the place on here, everybody will be going. (lol)

Mike

Think you'll find that's already the case, with coach loads of pensioners doing a tour of cheese factory, castle, etc.

Its never that busy though but much busier than the likes of Harris or Uists etc. The ferry can be packed but the island always seems to absorb them all.

Never seen loads of motorhomes over there. I think the ferry costs puts most of them off.

Archived