Highclere Castle

ollybear

Hi,

We were thinking of passing by Highclere Castle on our way from Dover to the Westcountry just to get an impression of the outside and the park surrounding it. The website says its open to the public on our chosen date, but you have to prebook an admission ticket stating AM or PM as time of the visit.

I do not want to prebook anything as there is a lot of uncertainty whether or when we would be passing, depending on the weather, the ferry etc. Does anybody know whether is a possibility to see the place from the outside just to get an impression (from a distance) without passing any ticket checkpoint? Thank you for any information.

Last time we were there (about two years ago) the free car park was a field adjacent to the castle grounds with a very good view of the castle itself. We didn't have time to visit .

As I remember it the access roads from the A34 are quite easy but we were in our car. I don't think taking a motorhome there would be a problem. Perhaps we'll try it this year as we often use the A34

Archived