Breatherlysers Again

PJay

Any one know the current situation on the breatherlysers? We did not bother last year, and went over twice

Will be of shortly to Spain, via France, and wonder if any one knows.

Do you take them?

A friend who lives in France does carry some, but he is English! I don't think the French bother.

PJay

This thread includes my 7 January 2014 8:27 AM summary

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/French-Breathalyser-Law/32003/

To the best of my knowledge nothing has changed since January.

A French law is still in place that demands that motorists driving in France carry a breathalyser in their vehicle, but a motorist cannot be fined for failing to comply with that law.

PJay - 2014-03-28 10:53 AM

So will not bother then.

Out of curiousity , are they selling them on the ferries?

PJay

Still shown on Brittany Ferries website as available on ferries ( £6 for twin pack ? )

( Also still available in Halfords I think ).

:-|

Of course they are still flogging them on the ferries to unsuspecting first timers! They probably bought a shed load and the two year expiry date will almost be up so they will be trying to shift them.

Never bought one and now you simply dont need to.

We are not really drinkers, a bottle of wine will last us two or three nights. Maybe the odd Brandy or G & T . Never have been drinkers, have seen what the demon drink can do to some people. Sooner have a decent coffee personally. But we will always have some on board, for visitors!!

PJay

Guest peter
PJay - 2014-03-28 6:19 PM

Never have been drinkers, have seen what the demon drink can do to some people.PJay

I know exactly what you mean PJay. I mean, look at poor of one foot in the grave, it's turned him into a dribbling wreck, and Clive H isn't far behind, imbibing a Ltr of cheap red every night.

I've got my suspicions about Pelmetman as well, as he is prone to some strange behaviour occasionally. (lol)

My friend who lives in France, has just told me that he got stopped in a routine roadblock on a Sunday, and was breatherlysed. The police DID NOT ask for thier kit, or if they had one. They do carry them in each of the vehicles. Looks like it is only the Brits who live there that obey the "Law" !!

PJay

PJay - 2014-03-29 7:38 AM

My friend who lives in France, has just told me that he got stopped in a routine roadblock on a Sunday, and was breatherlysed. The police DID NOT ask for thier kit, or if they had one. They do carry them in each of the vehicles. Looks like it is only the Brits who live there that obey the "Law" !!

PJay

One of the reasons why the French breathalyser project was successively postponed was that (totally predictably) supply failed to match the sporadic demand. Nevertheless, hundreds of thousands of the things were sold in France to French nationals prior to the decision to put 'fining' on indefinite hold, so there will be many, many French motorists currently carrying a breathalyser in their vehicles.

A lot of these breathalysers wiil (like Patricia's and mine) now be past their use-by date and (as Barry warned earlier) there's likely to be plenty of old stock still being sold.

(I'd be extremely wary of trusting the accuracy of these cheap single-use breathalysers. One heavily-sold brand (Red Line) proved badly inaccurate in tests long before the French breathalyser project commenced. Breathalyser unreliability (particularly the production of false negative readings) and user-unfriendliness were other reasons for the project not going ahead.)

Archived