2004 Boxer Front Wheel Bearings

mikemelson

My love of the Spanish mountains has got me into deep trouble.

Although I use the engine to slow down, too many steep descents with foot on brake has "cooked" the front pads with the O/Side running so hot, it melted the wheel trim in places, this in turn has helped to bugger up the wheel bearing.

My local main Peugeot dealers say this problem has cropped up in the past, the hub gets so hot it almost gets welded in & even with a 30 ton press can be impossible to separate the bearing from the hub and the housing.

If this is the case with mine & they can't separate, they say I'm looking at £1000 for parts & labour.

This seems a lot of money, has anyone out there had experience with this problem?, are they trying to have me over?

This garage has been very fair in the past, but things can change.

Worst case scenario would be a new hub, hub carrier and bearing assembly. Labour to replace the lot is about an hour, two at the outside. Parts costs I'd have to check on but I doubt if they're going to total up to more than a couple of hundred. Can't for the life of me see a grand in that job! You may well need a new pair of front discs and a set of pads too though which will add to the cost.

D.

mikemelson - 2014-03-28 10:56 PM

My love of the Spanish mountains has got me into deep trouble.

Although I use the engine to slow down, too many steep descents with foot on brake has "cooked" the front pads with the O/Side running so hot, it melted the wheel trim in places, this in turn has helped to bugger up the wheel bearing.

My local main Peugeot dealers say this problem has cropped up in the past, the hub gets so hot it almost gets welded in & even with a 30 ton press can be impossible to separate the bearing from the hub and the housing.

If this is the case with mine & they can't separate, they say I'm looking at £1000 for parts & labour.

This seems a lot of money, has anyone out there had experience with this problem?, are they trying to have me over?

This garage has been very fair in the past, but things can change.

Why cant they use a Acetylene torch to heat up the housing which should help up the release of the bearing from the housing

Ask them for a breakdown of the parts and labour. There is no point paying for non-productive labour fighting a stuck bearing, if the new parts are as relatively cheap as Dave suggests. If you get the breakdown you will be able to see where the money is going, then you can check the parts prices for yourself and get some idea of the time to do the job. But, labour by the hour is expensive, and does not reflect what the fitter is paid: it includes a whopping slab of business overheads, and a bit of profit too.

Archived