Fridge start up strange noise

kelly58

The Dometic Fridge on my 2013 Auto-Trail Tracker RS has developed a strange noise on start up when on gas. It gives the usual tick tick tick on start up , but then it makes a sort of k-dung k-dung k-dung for a few seconds before it flames up as in normal running order . When lit the fridge works perfectly ok on gas , this noise do's not happen every time it calls for gas , but more times than not , even the Dometic service engineer is puzzled as to the cause . He suggested it could be as I run on auto-gas in my Gas-it refillable cylinder , so yesterday I connected a standard propane gas cylinder to the regulator and the same noise occurred.

Difficult to tell from your k.dung explanation but it could be down to poor ignition hence build up of gas and a louder than usual ignition of said build up of gas, funny why gss engineer could not diagnose or did the fault not manifest during his inspection ?

It probbaly is the gas not igniting properly and you are getting pop sounds from it as it tries to light but is a sort of mini explosion instead. This often happens if there is air in the pipe to bleed out and gas has not purged all the air. If it continues after gas has purged all the air in the supply pipes then suggest the burner assembly needs a clean and the jet checked.

If its a no pilot job which i suspect it is then the electronic ignition ignites the burner directly if this spark is not sufficient or not positioned correctly poor burner ignition is the result. It needs dismantling and cleaning and also the position and strength of the spark checking, not easy when its an enclosed assembly which it probably is. Probably better and safer to get a proper engineer to look at it.

• 3 months later...
At last after 6 visits from the Dometic engineer the noise problem has been solved , they tried everything replacing the gas valve , front control panel , rear control unit , new ribbon cable and lastly the burner thermo couple unit . The burner unit was faulty causing an intermittent signal to the gas valve making it rattle hence the strange noise on start up. For Dometic its been an expensive exercise and possibly cheaper to have fitted a new fridge. 

The burners appear a bit problematical on the new Dometic fridges, on my new van the burner was roaring like a bunsen burner also met a couple of other owners with the same problem.

Not surprised you didn't have much luck with the Dometic engineer they don't use their own engineers any more. A mobile caravan service guy turned up to do mine he spent an 1½ hours doing a 10 minute job every time he put the burner back in the igniter kept going, I had to show him what was wrong in the end.

lennyhb - 2014-07-04 9:19 AM

The burners appear a bit problematical on the new Dometic fridges, on my new van the burner was roaring like a bunsen burner also met a couple of other owners with the same problem.

Not surprised you didn't have much luck with the Dometic engineer they don't use their own engineers any more. A mobile caravan service guy turned up to do mine he spent an 1½ hours doing a 10 minute job every time he put the burner back in the igniter kept going, I had to show him what was wrong in the end.

Interesting, mine's Thetford. Have they changed, or is it different fridge makes for different models?

Brian Kirby - 2014-07-04 1:02 PM

lennyhb - 2014-07-04 9:19 AM

Interesting, mine's Thetford. Have they changed, or is it different fridge makes for different models?

I don't think you have an oven Brian, if you want an oven they fit the Dometic TEC Tower with the 160Lt F/F, the oven and grill actually works on the new ones.

Archived