An awning quandry ....

Mel B

We have a Fiamma F65 3.7m wind-out awning on our van in the nice metallic titanium colour, we bought it new and put it on ourselves using the kit for our Ducato, however we have only used it twice that I can recall, and then only for about 20 minutes each time (if that!) as we don't do sites and you're not supposed to use them on aires etc. We are therefore thinking of taking it off and selling it - not only will this save weight but will put some coffers back into the pot, not that we need them but no point in having sitting on the van like a carbuncle! If we thought we'd use it more we would just keep it but based on previous usage I just can't see that happening, so carting 33kg around for nothing just seems plain stupid.

Are we being stupid or does this make sense to you lot?

If you never use it then seems daft to lug the extra weight around on the van.

How about a much smaller tiny one though just over the door for when it rains as it means you can have side door open without rain getting in so easily. .. more like a porch canopy?

Brambles - 2014-03-29 7:37 PM

If you never use it then seems daft to lug the extra weight around

I'd be looking at the criteria used for choosing to buy and fit one in the first place.

Otherwise what's the point of going through all the palaver of removing and selling it?

Martyn

Eddy

ha, never say never but if I did it would be a small pvc.

Mrs ips winds the steadies down then fills the aquarol while I plug elec in and put waste tank out, aquarol water lasts at least 24hrs and thats incl two showers so not to bad really. Our small van has electronic stability control and tows like its not there even at 68mph (apparently, I wouldnt know officer I was just told that) much comfier, warmer snd better equiped than the van wax but I miss the ease of getting it out not needing to hitch up etc. With hindsight I think the fixed bed was a mistake in the mh as living area to cramped and not loungeable.

Guest pelmetman

I've bought it..............I've used it............sometimes I use it occasionally............sometimes I've used it for weeks on end...............

It reminds me of my willy :D .................except I got that free (lol)

LordThornber - 2014-03-29 7:41 PM

Brambles - 2014-03-29 7:37 PM

If you never use it then seems daft to lug the extra weight around

I'd be looking at the criteria used for choosing to buy and fit one in the first place.

Otherwise what's the point of going through all the palaver of removing and selling it?

Martyn

We thought we'd probably 'need' to use it more than we actually have hence our wondering whether it is worth keeping it, we know just how easy it is for these awnings to get caught by a bit of breeze and damaged so tend not to put it out in the first place if it is slightly windy, perhaps we are being 'over cautious' by not using it as much as we might, but I don't fancy a 3.7m awning getting damaged and/or flapping around on our van!

We are planning on definitely doing a trip to Spain sometime over next winter, 6 weeks in total and spending 4 of those on a site, but from what has been said about the damage caused to awnings, even those well secured, over this winter there from the sudden gusts of wind I'm not sure I'd want to use it still! *-)

When we go to an outdoor motorhome show we use a caravan porch awning so if we do remove the Fiamma we'll fit a suitable rail to the van for it, or get a small drive-away/free standing awning to use instead, and may well do that when in Spain as we'll wizz around on our new e-bikes for shopping etc so won't need to move the van as often.

.... a quandry still !!!!!!

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2014-03-29 8:19 PM

We are planning on definitely doing a trip to Spain sometime over next winter, 6 weeks in total and spending 4 of those on a site, but from what has been said about the damage caused to awnings, even those well secured, over this winter there from the sudden gusts of wind I'm not sure I'd want to use it still! *-)

Wimp! :D ................

Having had mine out for weeks on end ;-)............admittedly it was a driveaway. but there were plenty of wind outs in place...........although they were pitched with the camper other side to the prevailing wind in the main ;-)..................

You just need a good strapping..............said the vicar :D................ask Tony :->..............

We are going to see how we get on without one as the option on the new van was 4.5m and we thought the 4m one on the last van was too big. Thinking about a pop up gazebo for when we do music festivals at least with some big pegs and storm lashing should be able to keep it on the ground.

As the awing is already fitted, I would leave it on. As long as you are sensible and don't put it out if it is windy, and when you do put a strap over the top and anchor that down as well as the legs, with 2 straps each. I would have thought that with your dogs, it would be very usefull, as they will need shade. We use ours a lot, but then we seldom use aires, and OH would never wild camp.

PJay

Hi Mel,

just think of the holes that you had to drill in the side wall to fit the awning what are you going to do with them.

Then there are the holes that you will have to drill to fit a rail for a porch awning.

you will end up having have a pincushion on wheels :-D

Mike.

Hi Mel,

We’re in Spain at the moment and have been lucky with the weather this year (though not today – rain expected). We have a wind out awning which we don’t always bother with, but when the sun is shining, putting the awning out and closing the blinds on the sunny side cools things down inside the van beautifully, as well as providing some shade outside. We just wind it back in if the wind gets up, but one of these days we’ll get round to fitting an efficient strapping system which I’ve seen in place on some vans. We sometimes use the awning in the rain too – it keeps the bbq dry!

My advice would be as someone else said, for what you’d get for it you might as well keep it. And in Spain next year you might well be glad of it.

Good luck whatever you decide, Jan B-)

Mel B - 2014-03-29 7:24 PM

We have a Fiamma F65 3.7m wind-out awning on our van in the nice metallic titanium colour, we bought it new and put it on ourselves using the kit for our Ducato, however we have only used it twice that I can recall, and then only for about 20 minutes each time (if that!) as we don't do sites and you're not supposed to use them on aires etc. We are therefore thinking of taking it off and selling it - not only will this save weight but will put some coffers back into the pot, not that we need them but no point in having sitting on the van like a carbuncle! If we thought we'd use it more we would just keep it but based on previous usage I just can't see that happening, so carting 33kg around for nothing just seems plain stupid.

Are we being stupid or does this make sense to you lot?

Well, if it seems stupid to you, who are we to disagree? Consider, decide, act - sorted! :-)

Eddy - 2014-03-30 11:44 AM

ips - 2014-03-29 7:46 PM

Eddy

ha, never say never but if I did it would be a small pvc.

Mrs ips winds the steadies down then fills the aquarol while I plug elec in and put waste tank out, aquarol water lasts at least 24hrs and thats incl two showers so not to bad really. Our small van has electronic stability control and tows like its not there even at 68mph (apparently, I wouldnt know officer I was just told that) much comfier, warmer snd better equiped than the van wax but I miss the ease of getting it out not needing to hitch up etc. With hindsight I think the fixed bed was a mistake in the mh as living area to cramped and not loungeable.

My tally to date..................ridge tent, frame tent, pop top commer camper, caravan, overcab bed motorhome, caravan again, low profile fixed bed motorhome, PVC panel vans x 2 , low profile fixed bed, another PVC, then current van another low profile(plenty of front lounging area Rapido 7087f. ;-) but when I find the ideal outfit I'll let you know.

Ha, this is very true, it seems to me that you buy what suits at the time but after a few year's it might not be right so move on. Nothing wrong with a change and nothing stopping you going back. Never say never.

for the record I have always had either tents caravans motorhomes or boats and enjoyed everyone each had merits and each had draw backs so your spot on the ideal is an impossible dream.

Mickydripin - 2014-03-30 12:19 PM

Hi Mel,

just think of the holes that you had to drill in the side wall to fit the awning what are you going to do with them.

Then there are the holes that you will have to drill to fit a rail for a porch awning.

you will end up having have a pincushion on wheels :-D

Mike.

No holes Mike, the awning fits onto special clamps that attach to lugs already on the top of the van (standard Fiat Ducato attachment points), so removing it won't be a problem and if I wanted I could use a stick on rail for the porch awning so no holes for that either.

Still not decided though!

pelmetman - 2014-03-29 8:02 PM

I've bought it..............I've used it............sometimes I use it occasionally............sometimes I've used it for weeks on end...............

It reminds me of my willy :D .................except I got that free (lol)

Haha Dave , good one

Eyup mel perhaps if its weight you concerned about you could take it off and store it in your garage and see how you manage without it then when you go to Spain put it back on :we had one on all our vans and never used them although have got a freestanding awning which we never used either lol it's a eurovent and weighs a ton.... Doesn't shift in the wind though! I like the idea of the inflatable driveaway ones they don't weigh a lot . Pp

It makes great sense to sell.

Then when a whim takes you think of the fun going looking for another one for its bound to be an improvement on the present models, as your years progress you will find it will be like a gift from god to have a luxurious addition to the existing van.

How's the conservatory, have not heard recently ?

If your awning weighs 33kgs and a litre of diesel weighs 0.832kgs then 39.66 litres of diesel would be the equivalent. It’s simple: Just never fill up your tank to more than 39.66 litres from being full; that way you will know that the extra weight of the awning you are carrying around will always be compensated for the lack of the weight of fuel that you are carrying.

In other words as Brian Kirby says “Well, if it seems stupid to you, who are we to disagree? Consider, decide, act - sorted!"

Make a decision!!

But surely Wilf the additional fuel cost of continuous running to a garage when on a long journey will double your fill-up journeys and outweigh any saving in fuel consumption by running at a minus 33 kgs of fuel

PS

Isn't there also a 'rolling characteristic' here where weight is an aid to fuel consumption

Will85 - 2014-03-31 5:10 PM

It makes great sense to sell.

Then when a whim takes you think of the fun going looking for another one for its bound to be an improvement on the present models, as your years progress you will find it will be like a gift from god to have a luxurious addition to the existing van.

:D :D :D I don't think so, not totally sure about taking it off so we'll probably keep it for the time being and try to be a bit braver and use it if it, even if it IS a bit windy ... :-S

How's the conservatory, have not heard recently ?

It is lovely thanks ... very, very pleased and enjoy sitting in it ... the dogs love sprawling in it too, in fact when we go out we leave the kitchen door to it open so they can go and slob about in there! Also when its a sunny day we just open the patio and kitchen doors and let the warmth into the bungalow and don't need to put the heating on! :-D

I was in there on Saturday doing some sewing as it makes it so much easier with all that lovely light coming in and when I was wrestling with some tents I was repairing at least I had the space to throw the material around ... although the large pop-up tent one was a bit of a handful! *-) I'll have to take some photos of it now it's finished ... the conservatory that is, not the tent! (lol)

Hi Mel...Has your wind-out got the "awning groove" on show?..if so, what about just sliding in a basic tarp' canopy?..that way, if something does let go, it's only going to be some fabric flailing about...

We've used one of the EasiCanopies for several years now:

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/outdoor-revolution-easi-canopy-porch-awning.html

If anything, it's a bit too big for what it is....

(...although I can't seem to find them on the OR website....? )

but when we used it slid into our Omnistor, I did wrap a strap around the ends of the awning "body" to help alleviate any stress/tension on the catches...

Having said that, by the time you've "deployed" and guyed one down, you may as well just put your porch up and unzip the front/sides..! (lol)

Will85 - 2014-04-01 8:55 AM

I was in there on Saturday doing some sewing as it makes it so much easier with all that lovely light coming in and when I was wrestling with some tents I was repairing at least I had the space to throw the material around ... although the large pop-up tent one was a bit of a handful! *-) I'll have to take some photos of it now it's finished ... the conservatory that is, not the tent! (lol)

Yes the additional light is ideal and no gusts of wind to move the material about. Providing additional heat into the house is cost saving as well. A good move in all respects.

Archived