Garmin Sat Nav

bigal

Having recently bought a Garmin 2548LMTD Sat Nav, I have so far been unable to work out how to enter a destination just using map co-ordinates. I have seen a few posts on here in the past where people have claimed to be able to do just that on Garmin and am now wondering if it is me that has bought the wrong model! Any help would be appreciated!!!! ;-) B-)

The only people who can give detailed guidance guaranteed relevant to your particular model are Garmin technical support. Most of us only own one of these things at a time, so whereas we get to know the one we have, it may not have the same characteristics as the one you have.

I have a Nuvi 2495, and on that, to enter coordinates, you press "Where to", then "Categories", then scroll down using the "down" arrow until you see "Coordinates", then press "Coordinates", and a window opens headed "Enter Coordinates".

This will contain the coordinates for your present location. If necessary press on the little stack of lines symbol bottom right of screen, and select "Format" in the window that opens, where you can select the coordinate format the Nuvi will now use.

Reverting to the "Enter Coordinates" screen, press first the "N" field, and a further window opens in which you have to first select N or S, followed by the desired numeric coordinate, using the on-screen keypad. When satisfied press "Done", and it will revert to the "Enter Coordinates" screen.

Next press the W field, and repeat the above, first selecting W or E for west or east of the Greenwich meridian. (If the coordinate you wish to enter in "degrees - decimal degrees" format is a negative value, it will be E, if positive, W.) When happy select "View on map" to satisfy yourself that it is the correct location, then again press on the stack of lines symbol as above, and select "Save".

The position you entered is now saved to "Favourites", where it will be listed under "All Favourites", using just its coordinates as identification. Press on the relevent item in favourites, and select the "i" symbol, to open the information window. Again press the stack of lines symbol as above, and select "Edit", where you can assign a name to the location, give it a category to make finding it easier, change its map symbol to suit your preference, attach a photo, or input a phone number of reference.

You can download and save the appropriate full owner's manual from the Garmin website in .pdf format, in which most of the above (and more) is explained. Hope this helps.

Thanks Brian I appreciate that. I had downloaded the manual as you suggest but your very clear instructions will be very useful in helping me to ascertain whether or not the particular function I am looking for is available on this model of Sat-Nav. Thanks again! ;-) B-)

Archived