Brands to ignore

Aussie Mac

Rayjsj - 2014-04-06 2:12 PM................ If your Wife comes from Nottingham, there are at least 2 dealers very close to there, Lowdhams and Brownhills.

http://www.lowdhams.com/

http://www.brownhills.co.uk/

Not an unqualified endorsment of either, although I did buy a Used Autocruise from Brownhills in Swindon (now Closed) and got excellent service and treatment. Ray

If you wish to consider LHD without the import problems try Edge Hill Motorhomes in Mansfield, here: http://tinyurl.com/nsw5poj They import from Germany for stock, so all are registered in UK when you buy, and you can view the vans at their premises. Reasonably handy for Nottingham, very helpful people, and something of a Hymer expert, though not limited to Hymers.

An alternative, though based in Torquay, is Bundesvan, here: http://tinyurl.com/2e3mv2 They import to order, and register in UK before delivery. Almost any German made van can be obtained. The van is delivered to your door, and payment is in £ Sterling. 10% deposit, balance on delivery. New or used vans sourced. He has some vans for sale second hand, but you would generally have to travel to view as the vans are mainly his clients' vans that have been put up for sale while they await delivery of a new one.

I believe either can get RHD new at better than UK prices, but the main business ifs LHD vans.

Guest JudgeMental
johnnerontheroad - 2014-04-07 1:33 PM

Aussie Mac - 2014-04-07 12:59 PM

Thanks agian - any more information on where to buy in Germany will be greatly appreciated. (BTW my son was born there!)

Cheers

Mike

Do your research on here http://www.mobile.de/?lang=en

Dave

If you buy from Germany do it yourself, your not going to make 20-30% savings otherwise...If you buy the van from an importer it will be priced accordingly..They are not a charity!

I know a good German dealer who has experience with situations like yours, they speak excellent english. As easy to fly into Germany as the UK, and probably cheaper, PM me for details, I have used them a few times and others on here as well. professional and excellent value for money, whether new or used. they sell 40 vans a week in season and know there stuff... it really is a different experience than buying here.

Dave, I don't understand your comment if referring to me. I speak as I find and experienced during the 30's and beyond.

Mike McLaren was asking for Brands to ignore, I gave my opinion of engineering builds that I've had experience with which were based in a foreign country.

I don't wish to discuss what not to buy and there are many, because I've had no experience of these and their engineering qualities. Of goods from Germany I have, including an accordion I use and optics from the Eastern Section that were used to operate in a Planetarium.

Guest JudgeMental
Will85 - 2014-04-07 6:40 PM

Unfortunately I was in it up to my neck, it was a facet of life that also unfortunately can never escape my soul. It made me what I am unfortunately. It was a drug of the highest calibre.

Theres many of your age Will that are marked for life by that experience....Not all appreciate the sacrifices many made. have taken the liberty to correct your spelling :-D Please, out there dont misunderstand Will, he is thoroughly decent, a fair age and has obviously seen a lot....

back on topic perhaps ;-)

"brands to ignore" absolutely anything made in england! :D

I think the Kiwi had it about right - Left Hand Drive and an older German MH, especially a Hymer which, in the early nineties, were build to last a thousand years. Bit underpowered compared with the modern ones but an amazing choice of layouts and they even had roll-over cages built inside the bodywork. They advertised them by photographing one standing on top of another! Excellent systems engineering too.

Models before 1993 are gloomy brown and cream inside but the same same shape models of '93 to '94 and '95, so these, which are comspicuous by having white rubber bumper inserts rather than the black of ealier models, are the ones to go for.

They are relatively cheap nowadays, so you can go for one of the bigger models, which have better habitation. We had a B694 (Fiat based) and it never missed a beat in six years. Top of the line was the S700, a Mercedes chassis. I came across a 1994 S700 in France last year and couldn't resist stopping for a chat with the owner. You could buy a 1993 B694 or an S700 fro about £15,000 these days.

They have a turbo diesel and power steering and plenty of payload, separate shower, bugscreens, plenty of elbow room.

Have a look at www.mobile.de which is a German motor advertising website which covers motorhomes as well as cars and they have an "English" button.

Buy from a dealer and try to negotiate a buy-back deal for each year, so you don't pay storage charges and suffer deterioration in storage when you go back to Oz. Alternatively get thm to agree to store it for you and have it ready to go when you come back.

There is a useful one-man-band company called Bundesvan at www.bundesvan.co.uk; Nick Clegg is helpful and trustworthy and he will source a MH for you and could be trusted to sell it for you afterwards. I bought from him and would do it again without hesitation.

Good luck!

Guest JudgeMental

Mike Pm'd me for details re dealer some of us use, so I inquired and got this reply. I knew they are experienced with this, but cost of insurance seems high. But I don't know what the difficulties and cost would be here. Might be worth noting Mike has a healthy budget. Now i'm not sure if the insurance monthly quote is only for months you use it, but guessing it is. Will need to do plenty of research and comparisons of costs

"Hello Eddie,

For people from abroad we can offer to registrate the car on our companys name.

Road taxes and insurance (Full insurance with ca. 2500€ excess) is then about 150-250€ / per month. Breakdown insurance is only once about 450€. This year we have a lot people from Australia and New Zealand. The prices for all that are depending on the car, these people want to buy.

If you want you can give the guy my E-Mail Address."

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2014-04-08 10:03 AM

Mike Pm'd me for details re dealer some of us use, so I inquired and got this reply. I knew they are experienced with this, but cost of insurance seems high. But I don't know what the difficulties and cost would be here. Might be worth noting Mike has a healthy budget. Now i'm not sure if the insurance monthly quote is only for months you use it, but guessing it is. Will need to do plenty of research and comparisons of costs

"Hello Eddie,

For people from abroad we can offer to registrate the car on our companys name.

Road taxes and insurance (Full insurance with ca. 2500€ excess) is then about 150-250€ / per month. Breakdown insurance is only once about 450€. This year we have a lot people from Australia and New Zealand. The prices for all that are depending on the car, these people want to buy.

If you want you can give the guy my E-Mail Address."

have found out more as this was niggling me....seems its not that expensive all things considered, especially when saving buckets on the van itself

"We can deregister the car while it is in storage, so no insurance costs for that. Insurance is that expensive, because we must declare it as a rental car for foreign people. But the price is also inclusive road taxes for the car. But as I say, it depends a little on which car exactly."

Lenny while some may consider Imitation the sincerest form of flattery...it ain't in this case! My name is Eddie NOT Eddy 8-)

JudgeMental - 2014-04-08 11:43 AM

Lenny while some may consider Imitation the sincerest form of flattery...it ain't in this case! My name is Eddie NOT Eddy 8-)

I can't help it if I can't tell the difference between Irish & Welsh. :D

Archived