Suitable cleaner

edaleblues

I have noticed some black spots on the back of our motorhome. At first I thought it was soot spots from a fire but it seems as though it is some sort of oil or tar. The smaller spots clean off with a sponge using washing up liquid but I can't remove the larger spots. It is possible to use my fingernail to remove the larger spots but they smear and seem to make the matter worse. Can anyone recommend a type of cleaner that is safe to use and not damage the paintwork. We keep the motorhome in storage and no other motorhomes have the problem so it must be something we have picked up on the road.

As has been said - washing up liquid and your fingernail will do damage, although it depends on the substrate, GRP would not be so much of an issue as it would on aluminium

I would only use the tar remover as a final option. Try some WD40 on a cloth, whilst this may leave some residue it won't be so aggressive. My favourite would be Isopropanol

You could also use Methylated spirits which is harmless to most paints. A small amount on a piece of cotton wool & treat each spot individually.

Whichever you use, WD40 or Meths, it will take any polish off, so after getting rid of the spots, you should wash with a good car shampoo, then re-polish the affected panel.

We have used WD40 to get rid of black stains under the windows etc , but you do have to re-polish afterwards.

Guest JudgeMental
kelly58 - 2014-04-09 6:20 AM

I usually remove tar spots with Mer polish its 2 jobs in 1, remove tar and polish in 1 go .

I liked Mer its a good product, made reasonably light work of getting rid of black streaks..Life so much easier with a panel van! :-D

JudgeMental - 2014-04-09 2:15 PM

.Life so much easier with a panel van! :-D

Just spent this morning valeting a PLC and I might have to take issue with you there Judge. Although the roof is small they can have lots of hard to get to clean areas on the roof, took just as long as a twin axle B-)

Guest JudgeMental
fjmike - 2014-04-09 3:05 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-04-09 2:15 PM

.Life so much easier with a panel van! :-D

Just spent this morning valeting a PLC and I might have to take issue with you there Judge. Although the roof is small they can have lots of hard to get to clean areas on the roof, took just as long as a twin axle B-)

You should Know Mike your the professional! :-D I jet wash mine and go over with the brush, and wax 2-3 times a year that is it.. the CB we had was a nightmare in comparison. Mike abbreviation is PVC (panel van conversion) PLC (public limited company)...no wonder you're struggling cleaning one of those! ;-)

Archived