Buyer Beware

globebuster

Visited a dealer today, as I had a bit of time on my hands -

I am convinced that most ingress issues these days, seem affect the underside - predominantly the rear quarters, so I thought I'd take a quick look.

Not sure I should be doing this - but here goes.....

The following Registration No's all have damp to varying degrees in that location, I cannot comment on whether there are any other areas of concern. All from the same stable.....

WA08NF*

OU54TC*

CN05JZ*

FJ04KD*

So if you're in the market for a 'van, take note.....

Well, if what your considering [if you are looking that is] - comes up with the first six numbers/digits, I'd guess most would have the nous to look further themselves!!!!!

No wonder people get caught out!

Just trying to help - but I'm not prepared to divulge the full Reg No, which I think is understandable.

Guest JudgeMental
globebuster - 2014-04-08 7:47 PM

Visited a dealer today, as I had a bit of time on my hands -

I am convinced that most ingress issues these days, seem affect the underside - predominantly the rear quarters, so I thought I'd take a quick look.

Not sure I should be doing this - but here goes.....

The following Registration No's all have damp to varying degrees in that location, I cannot comment on whether there are any other areas of concern. All from the same stable.....

WA08NF*

OU54TC*

CN05JZ*

FJ04KD*

So if you're in the market for a 'van, take note.....

Excellent bit of guerilla tactics.....Well done that man!:-D Will it alert the unwary, I doubt it, as most so enamoured with the big white shiny boxes on wheels common sense flies out the window! Just like the schizophrenic above, who bought van with non working heating system..and has the audacity to criticise 8-)

Would like to know the makes of the respective vans, and was this just a cursory inspection or with a proper meter :D

again......great stuff!lol

Maybe others will appreciate the effort?

This was purely by eye and touch - no need for a meter, blindingly obvious actually, well if you know where to look that is!

One was in a quite a poor state - and I'm still to be convinced that dealers actually test these areas as part of the habitation check.

As I said, ALL from the same stable - think of a word opposite to slow......

Guest peter
globebuster - 2014-04-08 9:23 PM

Maybe others will appreciate the effort?

This was purely by eye and touch - no need for a meter, blindingly obvious actually, well if you know where to look that is!

One was in a quite a poor state - and I'm still to be convinced that dealers actually test these areas as part of the habitation check.

As I said, ALL from the same stable - think of a word opposite to slow......

You cannot be talking about Rapido. If so, I would say you are possibly mistaken. Rapido are one of the top manufacturers. If they don't know how to build a watertight van, nobody does.

Very good Peter :-> you are a tease

Some more clues -

Feathered summer migrant to the UK

Recently boasted of increased profits since management buyout - from MMM - 'profits were achieved thanks to tight cost controls' - or using B&Q sheds for the chassis base....perhaps

Well don't read it then Eddy........it doesn't concern you - you have a decent van don't you?

'Fast' would hardly be a 'cryptic' answer would it - if you get it right next time rumple, I'll send you one of my old mans word puzzle mags - that should keep you quiet until Christmas.

Guest Had Enough

It could be the Montagu’s Harrier (Circus pygargus) a regular visitor from Europe. Nothing's faster than a Harrier after all.

I once had a Montagu’s Harrier 635, a really nice coachbuilt and after twenty years it never showed any signs of damp. The Montagu’s Harrier factory is in Oswaldtwistle and all 'vans are made to order for very rich people like me, so you don't see many of them on those aires things and similar places that the peasants like to frequent.

Then again I suppose it could be Swift.

globebuster - 2014-04-08 10:10 PM

Recently boasted of increased profits since management buyout - from MMM - 'profits were achieved thanks to tight cost controls' - or using B&Q sheds for the chassis base....perhaps

While I was still working "value engineering" became popular with project management companies, who almost invariably knew nothing about engineering. That was just a fancy way of saying "as cheap as possible".

A sensible dealer would have damp checked the vans when it took them on. A dealer working on the edge of margins, would probably defer tackling the damp until a sale was agreed. A responsible dealer would ensure any damp problems are corrected before the vehicles leave.

Given the age of some of the vans, it's no surprise that damp is a potential problem, especially as we do not know the vehicles' history and whether they have been properly maintained.

However, I'm sure we'd all be confident that no motorhome dealer would pass on damp vehicles and try to avoid liability. Cough.

Perhaps MMM will follow up the OP by sending out Globebuster to other dealers and running an article. Then again, perhaps even in this new, exciting magazine age, MMM would pass on the chance to commit commercial suicide.

Guest pelmetman
Brock - 2014-04-09 9:48 AM

Perhaps MMM will follow up the OP by sending out Globebuster to other dealers and running an article.

He could be their "Under bumper" reporter :D................

Some valid points Brock,

However the issues all stem from initial poor design - which continues.

I would imagine all those I inspected have had problems from the outset

I think that ingress through upper body joints has significantly diminished, due to improved extrusion profiles and sealants, although failure still seems rife around windows, hatches and the like with many builders.

Its clear that some manufacturers have acknowledged the potential under carriage problems more recently - hence the boast of improved under floor protection by many. Some do a good job, others may just exacerbate the problem IMO.

Such flawed design and poor evaluation of potential problems is inexcusable.

There is obviously no governing body, within the UK industry, with the 'teeth' to implement a decent basic build criteria.

As I've said so many times, if you're in the market for a new van, spend as much time looking underneath as you do on the bling aspect - this will give you a better idea of how the thing has been put together in general.

Fair points Eddy and Globebuster.

I didn't want to mention our EU brethren in Germany who seem able to design and build vans that have few damp problems whereas those building in one of the wettest climates in Europe seem to have thought over the years that it didn't matter. Elldis may have seen the light with its SOLID construction and Swift seem to be following them slowly.

When I part exchanged this time the dealer did an inspection of my van in the workshop whilst we were doing the paperwork. This included a quick gas, electric, body work and internal habitation check plus damp check despite it being a Hymer and having annual service and damp check certificates. Perhaps it was because the deal they did was pretty good for me and they intended selling the van themselves rather than putting it through the trade.

I'm surprised that other dealers don't do this. It would stop damp vans getting into the market and force manufacturers to sort out the problem at build time. Oh but silly me; if manufacturers and dealers recognised there was a damp problem, they wouldn't be able to sell their current offerings. An old adage is to keep the faulty goods moving around the market and hope the music doesn't stop!

I'm now wondering how many motorhomers sell their vans privately knowing their van has a damp problem. I have a vision now of people crawling under vans at the Warners shows.

Brock - 2014-04-09 12:57 PM

I have a vision now of people crawling under vans at the Warners shows.

I must be the 'vision' you're thinking off ... if there is a van I'm interested in, either just curious or buying, I ALWAYS have a good shuftie underneath ... hubby just leaves me to it! Shame they don't make 'Scottish' MHs though ... could be interesting looking under one of them if it's anything like their menfolk in kilts!!! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Archived