The cost of running old Transit vans..........

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Update.............delivery van starter motor packed up again 2 weeks ago :-S...................ADAC to the rescue in the guise of the man from the AA Again..............3 hours twiddling my thumbs in Southend on Sea.........he bump started me and I drove home to my mechanic who replaced it free of charge B-)................

But........ today.........

Horace got power steering :D..................Only reversed him back into the garage so far..........but have to say I like this 20th century gadget :->..............cost ;-)

Reconditioned rack and new pump + full service = £605........

Monday he gets a new fridge, and I know the fridge alone is more than 600 squid 8-).......

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman

New fridge fitted B-)..............apparently reading the instructions, the freezer compartment is not suitable for freezing.......just for keeping already frozen food frozen............our old fridge would freeze food :-S..............but we do have a nice blue internal light when on mains ;-)............

Cost..........new fridge £744.........+ habitation service..........=.£913.20 8-).................maintaining the caravan part is a dam site more expensive than the Tranny side :-|.............

I hope this new fridge lasts 23 years *-)..................

Guest peter
pelmetman - 2014-04-10 1:02 PM

At least they can be reconditioned..............can you do that with a ECU, DPF or a CAT?:-S

Forgot to mention the spares were for my more modern 99 Tranny ;-)....................

Horace is still on his originals, as he was built before built in obsolescence became de rigueur :D............

What a load of boll0x. When you van was built, it was not expected to last more than a few years, before the tin worm took hold. So the fact that yours is still around is due to the fact that you keep having bits of scrap metal welded to it at frequent intervals. I want to drive my van and enjoy it. Not have to keep going down to the breakers all the time, and carry loads of rusty old parts around in case something falls off or seizes up. :D

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2014-06-30 8:36 PM

pelmetman - 2014-04-10 1:02 PM

At least they can be reconditioned..............can you do that with a ECU, DPF or a CAT?:-S

Forgot to mention the spares were for my more modern 99 Tranny ;-)....................

Horace is still on his originals, as he was built before built in obsolescence became de rigueur :D............

What a load of boll0x. When you van was built, it was not expected to last more than a few years, before the tin worm took hold. So the fact that yours is still around is due to the fact that you keep having bits of scrap metal welded to it at frequent intervals. I want to drive my van and enjoy it. Not have to keep going down to the breakers all the time, and carry loads of rusty old parts around in case something falls off or seizes up. :D

"I want to drive my van and enjoy it"...............Could not agree more Peter :D...............Just don't want a expensive to repair or diagnose camper that has problems reversing up a hill ;-)....................neither do I want to have to work full time for the next 10 years to pay for it 8-)...............

Our old banger is off to Scotland Friday, just got back from Weymouth..............hopefully Horace will breakdown, as neither of us are keen to become midge bait again :-S...............

Guest peter
Tony Jones - 2014-04-11 3:52 PM

Anyone fancy a visit to another MH magazine forum, where people ask and offer advice, AND voice opinions, without constantly feeling the need to have a go at each other?

It's a bit quiet over there today, but if you look back over the postings from last week or two you'll find plenty of interesting subjects to join in on.

I won't post the link out of courtesy to Warners, but PM me (clue!!) if you can't work it out.

Not really Tony. Hadf a look a few weeks ago and it was like a morgue. Half the threads had cobwebs hanging from them, they'd been hanging around on the first page for so long. Plus, it's a PITA to post on there, what a pallaver. :D

• 1 month later...
Guest pelmetman

Just had a MOT and a new clutch as a precaution as I was starting to get some clutch judder.........

Original 24 year old clutch and 75K miles ;-)..........

MOT £50................Clutch + labour £246..........total £296

Guest pelmetman

Forgot to add ;-)............Old Horace passed his MOT with no advisories...........again B-)..........

Proactive maintenance is the key ;-).................

Archived