MMM readers letter query/American Touring

MacMad

Hi All, we are very experienced lightweight campers and travellers and now retired. We are looking to do an extended USA tour in an RV - about 12months - possibly buy a new van and bring it back to Blighty (that's the UK to you younger readers!) We have been to America many times but always using motels etc but are really keen to utilise a RV to enable us to visit more of the National Parks and be more independent. About four years ago a letter appeared in the MMM from a Scotsman (I think he lived in Montrose?) who had retired and had gone full timing in the States for a couple of years. He had produced a very comprehensive web-site which was offered free to fellow travellers. His knowledge and advice on especially buying a rig was really invaluable. The research that went into producing the web-site was truely amazing and you can imagine the time saving this will have for me if I can find the site again. Anyway, I unfortunately lost the web-site address! Does this web-site ring a bell with anyone? I am desperate to retrieve it so would appreciate if anyone can help. Anyone out there who has done anything on these lines whether hiring/buying/touring the USA? If so any advice would be most gratefully received.

Can't help with the web site, but we have toured the US -especially the western parts, extensively. Looked at hiring/buying and RV, but, together with the camp site fees (NOT cheap in the US of A), it was much cheaper and more flexible to use motels, etc. And virtually all National Parks we visited had Lodges (ie, hotels) that were beautifully placed.

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-09-04 9:13 PM Can't help with the web site, but we have toured the US -especially the western parts, extensively. Looked at hiring/buying and RV, but, together with the camp site fees (NOT cheap in the US of A), it was much cheaper and more flexible to use motels, etc. And virtually all National Parks we visited had Lodges (ie, hotels) that were beautifully placed.[/QUOTE] I'm with Mel on this one. Only once have we hired a motorhome in the states and that was to tour Alaska/Yukon all the other times we have used a hire car and motels. Our favorite being "Days Inn", they have a system called "September days" for the golden age travellers. Very good discounts are available at certain times. We never bothered to book the car in advance but shopped around at the airport when we arrived in the states. Try to arrive out of the peak periods. Also be aware that on arrival in the states you will be photographed and finger printed (right index finger) so be prepared for delays. Don

:-D Hi MacMad. Welcome to Out&AboutLive. We have done just what your are looking to do. Well part of a tour anyway. We intend to go back next year for 6 months or more. You can read about it here (long):- http://whitehotlaser.freeforumhost.com/whitehotlaser-about11.html How to ship and import an RV into the UK here :- http://whitehotlaser.freeforumhost.com/whitehotlaser-about18.html

• 4 months later...
Thanks everyone for the replies to my posting about the USA and apologies for not replying sooner. Having just returned from an extended tour of China and New Zealand (brilliant) my wife had the misfortune to be rushed to hospital where she spent four weeks in recovery so consequently have just got around to posting this reply. Her illness was nothing to do with the China trip! Her health problems have dashed our plans for the USA as she cannot now get suitable health cover. And we know from previous visits to the States that this is absolutely essential!! Anyway, the point is we are now in the market for a new, or possibly newish motorhome We are already half-way there in deciding what we want (high top van conversion) but have no idea as to which model. We are retired and living up in Cumbria. Most of the time we will be using the van for short breaks up to Scotland, the Borders and occasionally perhaps a summer trip to Scandinavia or France. We will be using sites most of the time and there are only the two of us. We have read the many threads on this site which (together with MMM) really is a fantastic resource for someone in our position, so well done all you regular contributors, you are doing a great job! Firstly, must say that most of my thoughts coincide with Don Madge's excellent piece on "downsizing" to a van conversion from a coachbuilt. I would be happy with a "basic" conversion. Powerful engine, preferably automatic, easy to clean/well insulated/ good, well thought out basic design, without loads of uneccessary frills (which also bump up the price!). As an old "backpacker" I find it hilarious to come across conversions with cocktail cabinets etc but each to his own! I had more or less decided on the new Auto-Sleepers Transit based Duetto as I really like the basic layout and the quality looks excellent (although I am no expert-it just looks "right"), but recently we have had the new Renault and Fiat base models, both of which look superb - and both offer a pan-European backup service which would be highly desirable if we decide to go across the Channel. Anyway, would love feedback from the "panel" on the following points.... Is it practical to use a standard (i.e. approx 6metre) van as an everyday vehicle, bearing in mind I live in a rural area, am retired, and do about 10,000 miles a year, and can it be parked in "normal" car parks or is it really essential to keep a separate car. Parking at home is not a problem. Anyone like to recommend\not recommend a particular van conversion? Trigano Tribute seems good value on paper. Haven't seen one in the flesh, anyone got one/had one? Sea Campers are available from Germany at ridiculously low prices. Of course these are LHD, anyone gone down this route? Can they really be of decent quality at this price? Anyone recommened a dealer/direct manufacturer they have had (good)dealings with...... I suppose deep down I would prefer to go direct to someone who builds a quality well engineered motorhome in the UK (or should it be campervan) at a resonable price, someone I can always contact if problems arise or additional info is required - would prefer to go direct than give cash to an (often useless) "middle-man". Look forward to receiving feedback..... macmad *-)

Archived