Inverter recommendation

crbtaylor

Hi , I don't expect you to get many replies or Recommendations as Larger Inverters are somewhat of an unknown quantity as yet, most run small inverters . I have not long ago gone for a 1500 watt wired in Inverter from this seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191001764671?var=490227681817&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Mine has work fine on the wife's 850 watt hair drier as well as charging my Laptop and the 1000watt kettle ,but you need to keep your eye on the battery voltage if your not running your engine.

Corky 8 - 2014-04-18 8:24 PM

Hi , I don't expect you to get many replies or Recommendations as Larger Inverters are somewhat of an unknown quantity as yet, most run small inverters . I have not long ago gone for a 1500 watt wired in Inverter from this seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191001764671?var=490227681817&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Mine has work fine on the wife's 850 watt hair drier as well as charging my Laptop and the 1000watt kettle ,but you need to keep your eye on the battery voltage if your not running your engine.

Looks similar to the one Ive been looking at but a better price. I assume you connected direct to the barttery but did you connect the mains of the inverter to the electric hook up point on the van or run a wand lead into the van?

Guest peter
If you hook it up to the point on the van, make sure you turn of the mains feed to your control box/battery charger, or you will be trying to charge the battery from its own source. If you know what I mean.

peter - 2014-04-18 10:56 PM

If you hook it up to the point on the van, make sure you turn of the mains feed to your control box/battery charger, or you will be trying to charge the battery from its own source. If you know what I mean.

You broke a dream, I thought about that last night, Ill turn off the charger and heating controls on the Sargent unit. Thx.

I wanted to ensure I would not have the inverter running while on electric hook up (why would you need to) so they way I have hard wired my inverter in is,

I fitted my 1500w inverter to the inner wall in the under locker close to my 2 habitation Batteries to keep the 12v cable run as short as possible, then with red 16 mm 12v cable I connected one end to Bat No1 Poss+ terminal, I then run the Red Poss + cable to a 30amp 12v fuse holder then into the Poss+ side of a 240volt 100 amp double pole Isolator out the other side to the Poss +terminal on the Mounted inverter.   On the Neg - 12 volt side I connected the black 16mm cable to No2  Neg-  Hab Battery terminal (splitting the load) I then run the Black Neg- 16mm cable straight to the  Neg- side of the 100 amp Isolator, out the other side to the Neg- terminal of the Inverter,   On the 240v side, I only used one of the two 240 sockets on the inverter to connect a 13 amp plug to the outlet, the cable is white round 13 amp cable ,which I wired to a dedicated double socket  (caravan type) which I fitted to a convenient place , NOTHING ELSE is wired to this socket it is solely for the Inverter 240v outlet ,

the 100 amp double pole Isolator it a bit large but it was small and cheap, and it allows me to completely isolate the inverter from the 12 volt side of things when on Electric hook up. you should also have a fuse in the !2 volt poss+ run from the battery I have used a 30 amp fuse in this, which should take a large load, but I will down size the fuse to find the Optimum amperage to run on, Hope this is of Help and not too confusing,  Not on line till after Easter Hols.  Have a peaceful holiday weekend and Safe Journeys.

Corky 8 - 2014-04-19 11:39 AM

I wanted to ensure I would not have the inverter running while on electric hook up (why would you need to) so they way I have hard wired my inverter in is,

I fitted my 1500w inverter to the inner wall in the under locker close to my 2 habitation Batteries to keep the 12v cable run as short as possible, then with red 16 mm 12v cable I connected one end to Bat No1 Poss+ terminal, I then run the Red Poss + cable to a 30amp 12v fuse holder then into the Poss+ side of a 240volt 100 amp double pole Isolator out the other side to the Poss +terminal on the Mounted inverter.   On the Neg - 12 volt side I connected the black 16mm cable to No2  Neg-  Hab Battery terminal (splitting the load) I then run the Black Neg- 16mm cable straight to the  Neg- side of the 100 amp Isolator, out the other side to the Neg- terminal of the Inverter,   On the 240v side, I only used one of the two 240 sockets on the inverter to connect a 13 amp plug to the outlet, the cable is white round 13 amp cable ,which I wired to a dedicated double socket  (caravan type) which I fitted to a convenient place , NOTHING ELSE is wired to this socket it is solely for the Inverter 240v outlet ,

the 100 amp double pole Isolator it a bit large but it was small and cheap, and it allows me to completely isolate the inverter from the 12 volt side of things when on Electric hook up. you should also have a fuse in the !2 volt poss+ run from the battery I have used a 30 amp fuse in this, which should take a large load, but I will down size the fuse to find the Optimum amperage to run on, Hope this is of Help and not too confusing,  Not on line till after Easter Hols.  Have a peaceful holiday weekend and Safe Journeys.

I can see why you have wired it this way, but my 2 leisure batteries are not connected directly together. They both are wired into the Sargent EC500 PSU via 20 amp fuses in the positive leg of each battery.

Archived