Autosleeper-width of habitation door

fred22

Hi, I have looked on the Autosleeper web site and I have also searched the Autosleeper questions on this site but can find no mention of my enquiry:-

So here goes.

Can anyone tell me the useable width of the habitation door on the coachbuilt autosleepers produced between 1995 and 1999? Clubman,Legend, and Executive models etc.

I wish to see if my small invalid scooter will go through.

All models appear to have the same sized door but without checking this might not be so.

If you could include year and model name in your reply this would be a big help and also if the width is the same upwards from floor level

Thanks in anticipation

Fred

For such a fine-detail question I would have thought your best bet would be to ask on the Auto-Sleepers Owners forum, particularly as there's a section there for the monocoque-bodied coachbuilt models.

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/

I can tell you that a 2000 MMM report on an Auto-Sleepers "Gatcombe" gave the entrance-door aperture dimensions as 1800mm x 510mm (5' 11" x 1' 8"). There's no guarantee, though, that the aperture-size of other models would be the same.

I have just measured my Medallion and can confirm thh width as 1' 8" but suggest you call it an inch less to allow for variations . Effectively the Medallion was a legend on a VW Lt chassis.

How do you intend to fasten the scooter down, The thought of a hard lump of metal whistling down the aisle in a collision is to say the least worrying. Fasteners into the floor would need to go down to the chassis to be any use.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Thanks for replies.

I could not find any reference to the width of the habitation door on the Autosleeper web site but I have had the importunity to see a couple for sale and have measured them.

My scooter will have less than an inch clearance,so it will have to be taken to pieces to avoid damage.

Storage will not be a problem as when it is in pieces it will go in the bed lockers. It is not a heavy scooter and easily fits in the car boot

What did surprise me, on visiting the web site, was how many "posts" there were relating to damp and water ingress.

I have always thought that the Autosleeper method of construction banished the dreaded damp but water ingress via roof openings, windows, lockers and the floor etc were all mentioned.

You are right regarding the one piece monocoque body being leakproof as there are no seams but cut a hole in roof or wall for a window and you can get leaks in even a van conversion but at least you have an idea where water may be entering.

Auto Sleepers had an issue in the 90's - can't remember when exactly - with some side window catches/stays not holding the large side windows tight enough against the gasket for the sides to remain wind and watertight either on the road or in severe weather.

When it happened on our then 4 year old Talisman I phoned AS and Mr Charles Trevelyan kindly said that it was a known problem easily cured and he sent me a set of replacement window catches and a pair of new window rubber gaskets free of charge and that cured it.

That was when reputation and service meant something to the company and as a result I only ever had AS vans for over 20 years!

Archived