UK: 8gb data for a month ... for free ...

Mel B

No, I'm not kidding ... I've just done it today!!!

Due to the terrible '3' mobile broadband we've got due to problems with the masts in our area and that it won't be resolved until at least the end of June we went into town to get another 30-day T-mobile broadband sim to ensure we have some form of internet for when we can't use '3' at all. Last month we got 5gb which ran out yesterday so were intending to get it again however when we went in to the 'EE' shop to buy it the deal had finished and the only ones available were the 4G ones (or 3G if you don't have it in your area) at a vastly hiked price! Last month's 5gb cost us £15, but now to get 3gb was £16 or £21 for 5gb ... this is despite the fact that we do NOT have 4g here.

We decided not to get it so popped into the Carphone Warehouse shop nearby and while the chap there went to have a shuftie of what was on offer I had a mooch around the shop and noticed a sign for:

- 8gb data @ £26 on a 30 day rolling contract with £26 cashback (ie first month free)

- the cashback would be done straight away via our debit card

- we could cancel it at any time, giving the requisite 30 days notice

So I asked about the offer:

Me: "What if signed up for it now, would I have to keep it for more than 30 days?"

Him: "No - you can ring up and cancel it at any time and it would stop 30 days later."

Me: "So, in effect I could get 8gb of mobile broadband for a month for NOTHING!"

Him: "Well, yes I suppose you could!" he said with a bemused smile as it dawned on him.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/sims/tablets

Even if we decided not to cancel it straight away and keep it for a couple of months it would still mean we could get 2 x 30 days of 8gb data for the equivalent of £13 a month - as we are going on holiday in June we wouldn't need it longer than that anyway.

Needless to say I got a sim there and then!

The offer is something that Carphone Warehouse are doing as the cashback is from them, not EE, so when I rang up EE to cancel there wasn't a problem at all. The credit from Carphone Warehouse has been credited back to us but we won't actually pay the one-off £26 until about 2 weeks from now!!!!

Hubby has been having a go with it in our Huawei E5776 4g enabled MIFI and its been flying!!!!

If anyone else is interested, then pop along to your Carphone Warehouse shop, don't get it on-line as the deal appears to be different to the ones on offer in the shop.

Also, please DOUBLE CHECK before you buy that the deal is exactly the same just in case they've closed the 'loop-hole'!

Like many deals and offers, hotels are another. The Smart Phone - Telephone and Personal Callers are all offered different rates for the same service. And even better if an 01 number can be found as its not on a premium call rate.

Interesting to hear that you have been having trouble with 3. For the entire week before I came to France I did not have any internet access with them. They would phone when they had an update on the situation. This they did eventually but to my French phone, not my normal UK one. I was sick of telling them which number to call but no, all calls came to France! They did leave a message but it was impossible to hear what they were saying. Back home soon, so will I have any internet I wonder.

Patricia, write to the CEO - that's what I did and finally got some 'real' help from a lady based in Scotland. The India call centre just tells you whatever they are told to and as I've found it isn't always true!!!!

We've got major problems with some of the antennas which are 'severely degraded' and once they seem to fix one it then causes a problems at another, they are also installing the 4G network here so I assume that they don't want to go too mad with the 3G one as the 4G will take away some of the traffic and hopefully alleviate the 'overload' which I think is also part of the problem.

I have had a EE mifi ever since they came out and it's magic. I'm currently in the Cairngorms, in the middle of nowhere, and I still have 10mb data download speeds!

In most built up areas I get 25+mb minimum download and sometimes the equivalent upload which is astonishing.. My home broadband, virgin cable, is slower in both upload and download in my front room!

Archived