ADAC when already abroad

rubberrat

We didn't sort ADAC membership out before set off, I havn't bothered in the past as I've always fixed things myself of dropped into local garages, but I'm starting to see advantages.

We're already travelling, in Greece now then heading North in a week or two through France.

My Q's are:

Can you join when not at home to pick up post (although we can get that dealt with)

Is it a good call? We've seen numerous sites shifting their discount schemes to a

ADAC

I know there must have been hundreds of past posts, but the search facility keeps crashing my iPad - only sketchy wifi here.

Cheers

Guest JudgeMental

I've looked but can't find anything, but usually for breakdown insurance you can't claim for maybe 24 hrs or so..hardly a problem with a camper :-D but they only contract to tow you to a suitable garage don't they?

I prefer the assurances that proper cover gives.....

Edit: found this

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=305314

If it cannot be fixed in the country where you breakdown they will recover you to the UK.

When you phone to join and give your personal info and payment details someone will phone you back and give you your membership No Take out the Plus cover and if you have a partner/wife they can join, the cover is for any vehicle you are traveling in not just the motorhome as with UK recovery services.Also with the Plus cover you get repatriation cover if you are taken ill (not medical cover in hospital).

Good luck

Dave

So long as I can get tow to garage that would be fine.

Murphys law says that if I have no cover all will be well, but take out cover and the thing will pack up!Main thing is lots of sites doing discount for adac members.

However Eddies link suggests no more new adac members?

Wonder if I can add European to our rac membership?

Any other recommendations?

Guest pelmetman

I flagged this rumor up a while back ;-)..................

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/ADAC-/33642/

As yet I've not read a post from anyone who was actually turned down? :-S................So give them a ring.............the worst thing that can happen is that they say no............and you'd be able to clarify the situation for the rest of us B-)...........

Guest Had Enough

When I joined some years ago I phoned and they asked me to put all my details in an email, so I would try emailing first rather than expensive calls to Germany from wherever you are.

I see no reason why you can't join from abroad but you won't have the booklet with the list of emergency numbers, but you may be able to get these from the web. Email is service@adac.de

ADAC is brilliant. I had a puncture in France and a van appeared within thirty minutes from a local car dealer a few miles up the road.

ADAC covers me not just all over Europe (and Morocco) but in my private car in the UK. Most European policies don't cover the UK.

At €89 it's an absolute bargain.

Thank a lot guys, most useful. I'll try to do it online first. if they have to post things to home address then I can get it sent out to us here as we will be in this area of Greece for at least 10 days, then decide which way to head north (there is no more south left!)

rubberrat - 2014-04-21 7:12 PM

Thank a lot guys, most useful. I'll try to do it online first. if they have to post things to home address then I can get it sent out to us here as we will be in this area of Greece for at least 10 days, then decide which way to head north (there is no more south left!)

You cannot do it online without a German credit/debit card, phone is the best why only takes a few mins. The card will be sent to your UK address but they will give you your membership No. and the emergency tel No. when they phone you back to confirm everything.

Dave

Hi, don't know if it fully answers your question, but we have paid our renewal while in Germany in one of the ADAC shops, so I would expect if you find one of there shops which appear to be in most of the larger towns/city, you should be able to join there and then.

AS for the recovery, questions are often raised on this subject and from my interpretation which could be completely wrong, it appears there is a limited amount of money for the initial transportation which I believe is euro 200 which has to cover getting your vehicle to the nearest garage, if it costs more you may well be expected to cover the short fall.

If the garage can't repair within a ?time (I think 2 days) then ADAC will recover your vehicle back to the country of your membership, albeit I think there are some further conditions to determine the vehicle value/age, which may impact on the recovery, you need to read the small print.

Hope that helps, there are a lot more things that membership of ADAC offer but most of the small print is in, as you would expect from a German company, in German so translation can be problematic, I personally think that is the main drawback with ADAC, but I will continue with my membership.

I joined ADAC in September 2012 and met with problems when trying to pay despite the fact that I have a Euro Bank Card. Finally, as I was leaving France the next dayI was able to pay over the phone with this card which was really fortunate as I broke down within 60 or so miles. As I was on the motorway the call out cost €175 and I had only paid them €79 the day before. I need not have worried as they paid the breakdown costs immediately.

On renewal in 2013 I sent a cheque but it was lost and never found again! I never received this year's card either although they said they had sent it twice - also lost in the post!! However, you only need the number to get assistance.

When I joined I was advised to give my French address but I can't remember why. I think it was because there is a limit to the number of days you can be abroad for and I have separate cover in the UK courtesy of my bank.

You will do best to read the small print before you buy and search for the best translation on their site. If you still have questions you can PM me and I will phone for you (free calls to Germany on my French phone).

PS I forgot to say that Valerie on UK Campsite is extremely helpful.

johnnerontheroad - 2014-04-22 9:28 PM

Patricia - 2014-04-22 8:00 PM

That is interesting Dave. Can I ask how you obtained that as I certainly didn't receive one?

It has been translated from the German copy, a number of forums have it in their downloads.

Dave

Sorry I thought you meant that you had received a copy. I know UK Campsites had some translated information but I didn't think it was all the accurate and it will probably be out of date now anyway.

Archived