Try not to cry!

Russ MMM

Russ I have a reputation of being one who fails to be enthused about many parts of life,

Not impressed is my response. Not much of the original manufacturing showing those who joined all the bits together. Rather a lot of facial expressions that I failed to understand.

Nice bit of visual art, although a tad sentimental.

I've owned one or more of each generation of VW Kombi, from T1 through to T5 and still have an air cooled t3 westfalia tucked up in the dry at home.

They had definitely run their course though and the Brazilian models were quite dreadful.

peter - 2014-04-24 9:24 PMI wouldn't have one if you gave it to me. Overrated rubbish.
I tend to agree with you,we started our motorhoming many years ago with a 1600 air cooled VW camper,hated the thing, had it for a year and was glad to see the back of it,slow, cold, miserable thing,it was a Devon conversion.

Guest JudgeMental
yeah well..we had a 2.1 injection(water cooled) T3 Westfalia (USA import) and it went like the clappers...A lovely camper. You need to buy the right van man! :-D

Guest pelmetman

Well it is a proper usable classic camper with a parts network to die for ;-).....................

But it's not a proper usable motorhome with a parts network to die for :D.................

A lot of my early years of motorhoming were spent in a 1967 Commer Caravanette and later a 1971 VW Camper which my best mate still owns. More drivel here https://sites.google.com/site/hanktestsite2/blog/earlyyears

The VW camper is in my opinion the Iconic camper. They were (as described) pretty crap as a vehicle and you would have to be pretty hardy to use one all year.

However people loved them and loved those who used them. You could just pull up somewhere in the VW and people (and lots of girls (lol) ) would just come and talk to you! You cannot be an axe murderer or a pervert if your driving a VW camper.

Dont ask me why but whenever I get in that vehicle and set off on a road trip you just have a smile on your face. The sound of it as it burbles along is unique. Even when on hills it drops to walking speed its just funny.

Those that have hung onto them will see a good investement in future I think.

Here is a photo of me beside my mates van on Orkney. Photo says it all! :-D

667662927_orkneytwatt.JPG.9e682c05281e15f426ab8bfcd7148336.JPG

Archived