motorhoming in Canada

jeannie p

At that time of season I wouldn't have thought space on sites was an issue, but the problem will be if they are open. What route are you taking? If going across to Banff then up ice parkway I guess you should be ok. as we traveled all around B.C during may in 2002(? ) including that road with no problems.

...some years ago we travelled Vancouver up to Jasper and back in August.

Used mainly Provincial or National Park Campgrounds (with varying amounts of facilities, often none but water, a firepit and a dump point - but beautifully located). The remote ones we considered a real gem.

Despite it being just at the end of the season, we didn't book a single site.

What we did find, however, was that it was worthwhile getting to a site early (sometimes 11 am or earlier), reserving a pitch, and then disappearing off in the van for sightseeing, returning early evening. (We queued at Jasper early in the morning, but then had a day looking round the local area with the 'van)

All the sites we used had the means of booking a pitch, even if for the most rudimentary of unmanned sites it simply consisted of taking a booking form, depositing the fee in an honesty box, and pinning the form to a post on the pitch, before going off touring.

The site we used at Banff was closed in the middle of our stay, due to a bear attack, but they didn't bother moving on those who had already pitched. :-S

Robinhood - 2014-04-26 7:59 PM

The site we used at Banff was closed in the middle of our stay, due to a bear attack, but they didn't bother moving on those who had already pitched. :-S

We had similar in Banff, half of site was closed due to elk with young attacks, other half was hard sided vehicles only due to bears, The first site we stayed on Vancouver island had warnings not to leave dogs and children unattended due to cougars, makes a change from only having to worry about someone kicking a ball against your van. :D

....well, Colin,if we're swapping "war stories".............. ;-)

but I think we did the "bat" one before.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/Rabid-Bats/26984/

We did a walk around and above Lake Louise on the same trip, only to be told the trail had been closed due to a bear "event" (I assume something like an attack, but with less gore ;-) ) after we had set out.

In any case, I'd do it again tomorrow. Wonderful Country, Wonderful trip, and the nearest you'll probably get to real wild camping with a motorhome if you use some of the provincial park sites.

Archived