Dartford toll abolition

davidmac

Hi just been to Brighton for a few nights and saw on the local tele news that the toll booths are being done away with at Dartford crossing so no cash payment come October, only phone or internet to pay and register vehicle registration number. So, does this mean that if you don't have internet or smart phone you cannot use the crossing without getting fined, but if you don't have UK plates you can use the crossing for free.

Regards David

In one of the coach mags. it says that you have till the following midnight to pay, whatever this means.It did not go into detail. Also there will be a pre-paid account you can set up called the Dart charge on which you will get a discount.

Clive..

Who will they get to install and Maintain the new payment system .?

The Highways Agency has awarded the main contract for vehicle detection, charging and enforcement management services to sanef. If this contract extends to its maximum term of 10 years the full potential value of the services delivered within it will be up to £367 million. The design and implementation element of this is included in the total set-up cost estimate above.,

A good ole FRENCH Firm " Sanef " , that should help with our Balance of Payments Deficit , The Benefits of  Britain being in the EU, .

Guest pelmetman
I seem to recall one of the selling points for the QE2 crossing..... that once the building costs had been covered by the tolls, they'd be scrapped :-S...............Nothing new about being lied to by politicians *-).....

As a regular for the crossing I have been looking at this and as said you have 24 hours to phone etc to pay, In October it goes to £ 2.50.To miss this one would have to go via A13 and Blackwall tunnel and many a time I have sat outside the tunnel waiting for traffic to move so £2,50 is not so bad plus I agree it should be free.

Thank goodness we moved from Sussex to Devon last year then, it's most unlikely we shall ever have to use that Crossing again - at least we can get to all parts of the country without paying a toll - apart from returning to 'England' from Cornwall that is!..no doubt that will increase following the 'special status' recently awarded to the Cornish!

Guest JudgeMental
Mickt - 2014-04-29 8:43 AM

I understand that with a foreign number plate you do not pay

really? I have a few pairs of them in the garage :-D As a londoner anything that can speed up the delays (if this does) is very welcome.....its a pittance for heavens sake, look what you have to pay in France and elsewhere! and they have to pay for the Queen Elizabeth bridge, which doubled capacity, as well as the old tunnel *-)

pelmetman - 2014-04-28 6:39 PM

I seem to recall one of the selling points for the QE2 crossing..... that once the building costs had been covered by the tolls, they'd be scrapped :-S...............Nothing new about being lied to by politicians *-).....

The same thing was said to people on Wirral in the 30s when the Mersey tunnel was built,the toll has recently gone up to £1.70 each way. So we now are being taxed to travel from one part of our county to the next!

JudgeMental - 2014-04-29 10:42 AM

Mickt - 2014-04-29 8:43 AM

I understand that with a foreign number plate you do not pay

really? I have a few pairs of them in the garage :-D As a londoner anything that can speed up the delays (if this does) is very welcome.....its a pittance for heavens sake, look what you have to pay in France and elsewhere! and they have to pay for the Queen Elizabeth bridge, which doubled capacity, as well as the old tunnel *-)

While this is true Eddie in France they do not pay road tax. Perhaps if Sanef is running it I will soon be able to use my Sanef tag to cross.

Archived