Electric hobs, what's best?

snowie

Hi; We've decided to sell our Hi-Gear 2 burner hob and buy a Cadac as we mostly used it to griddle meat. Last trip it was too windy, and we cooked indoors.

We are also looking for an electric single burner hob, before our next trip, for those single pan meals when we are on hookup. We see loads of them on our travels; what's the best one?

regards

alan b

We have an electric hob as well as three gas rings in the van but use the induction mostly.Not necessarily the best but an induction hob works for us, heats up really quickly and can be set to use very little juice.

gocro - 2014-04-27 8:06 PM

We have an electric hob as well as three gas rings in the van but use the induction mostly.Not necessarily the best but an induction hob works for us, heats up really quickly and can be set to use very little juice.

Thanks Gordon; just to clarify; thinking of using outside the van, with a griddle pan, wok or when cooking fish etc,

alan b

snowie - 2014-04-27 8:44 PM

Thanks Gordon; just to clarify; thinking of using outside the van, with a griddle pan, wok or when cooking fish etc,

alan b

What's wrong with cooking fish in the van? We cook fish in the kitchen at home, love that smell, whether its sardines, swordfish or salmon.

This sort of thing we use under the awning.

1207416238_m1m2RJ5-Jk6E2g_hjUlfDlQ1.jpg.6cb236239ffe1b8e5f02885849a83fcd.jpg

starvin marvin - 2014-04-27 9:46 PM

What's wrong with cooking fish in the van? We cook fish in the kitchen at home, love that smell, whether its sardines, swordfish or salmon.

Nothing at all Tony; but that wasn't the question,

regards

alan b

If you can get one reasonably priced I'd suggest a single halogen hob, if not then an electric hot plate, as you can use your existing pans on these, but if you go for an induction hob you will need the right type of pans for it.

Hi Snowie, we use a Remoska from Lakeland, it is a deep pan with an electric element in the lid, very versatile but abit bulky, there are two sizes.

If you are not conversant with them it would be worth a look in lakeland, or on line, as they do recipe books as well so you can see what they are capable of, full roast chicken about 90 mins, so not a quick cooker, if you buy the trivet as well then you can do a full meal with chops etc in bottom and some veg in a foil dish on the trivet, good for baked spuds, porridge, cakes as well

A lot of vanners use them and they are favourable in Spain etc when on lower amp hook ups as the large one uses only 470watts, and its versatility saves you the important gas usage.

snail

Remoskas are very good for cooking fish. We used ours extensively over winter in Spain. We have the smaller version... you have to bend larger fish to make them fit.... it's not a problem. At 470w its only 2Amp so good for low current supplies

We also carry a halogen hob.. we can't use induction 'cos we have aluminum pans.

The Ferrari is acute single unit (about £35) I wish we'd bought a double (about £55)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G3-Ferrari-Ceramic-Cooking-Hotplate/dp/B008YX2M3S

These are 1300watt/hob and they always draw this when ON.. they regulate temperature by turning themselves on and off.

1300 watts at 220 volt is JUST under 6amp. 6 Amp supplies are common in Europe, so you have to be aware you are near the trip limit of the mcb. Mcbs have a bit of tolerance so you might be ok also running fridge and / or leisure battery charger. We never tripped when we were on 6a supplies in Spain.

645590829_halogenhob.JPG.2d99b3233f74ec00459b3586c4e07812.JPG

Hi alan(snowie)..

We bought an "ordinary"(non-halogen) single hob when we first switched to a CB(..with the "..we may as well use the electric, we've paid for.." mindset :$ )..

We later replaced it with a Swan double hob(again non-halogen.)..

So...our thoughts based on the items that we used (..before anyone takes offence).

a)Both took a lot longer to heat up and cook, than the gas did...

b)They both threw out A LOT of downward heat(..we sat ours on silicon mats, sat on a chopping board)

c)They both took A LOT longer to cool down again after(which made tidying up and packing away awkward).

d)Although they were using the "paid for" electric, did they recoup their purchase costs? For us, I'd say no!...

e)Did setting up and using them(..and sometimes "juggling" between it and the kettle when on an "iffy" supply etc), make things easier..again I'd say no!

If you were setting up a" second kitchen" in an awning, then the "problems" I've highlighted probably wouldn't matter(..Although if you used a halogen hob, I presume these "problems" may not arise in the first place?..).

But for us, we found them to be a bit like a wind-out canopy, a driveway awning or Cadacs etc...in so much as they are the type of item that you feel you "need" because they're in the mags/accessory shops and /or everyone else seems to get them(..prior to sticking 'em in the loft or on *ebay... )

Ours got carted around for the last two-three years, without seeing the light of day :$

(*Just check out Mel's sale of "must have" items! Blimey Mel!..you've bought some "stuff you can't live without",over the years haven't ya!... (lol))

If it's just for occasionally griddling outside of the van, I'd just be using a *decent "suit-case" stove(s) and a wind-shield; http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/kampa-kitchen-windshield.html

It's how we cook now, with our "camping-van"..

(*something "branded" and not some cheapie, car-boot tat... ;-) ).

Plenty of "food for thought" (pun intended). Pepe; thanks, plenty of cons, not many pros, probably how we might try to use one.

I'm just considering putting a 2 burner Hi-Gear hob on ebay, but maybe I'll end up keeping it rather than give it away and replace with a less efficient electric hob.

A Cadac is on the list, before our Scandinavian trip, so that plus a decent windbreak will probably suffice, particularly for a summer trip. We only used 60% of our gas supply on the Spain trip, so I'd expect the next trip to be similar

regards

alan b

Hi alan..

I can only go by our experiences and I don't mean to "rubbish" them...for others, they may be great...

It's just that we found ourselves "going in a circle" when it came to certain bits of kit...

We already had some single "suitcase" stoves and a double gas stove, from tenting...but once we had the CB "motorhome", we thought that we'd drop/"relegate" them and that getting leccy stuff was what you did... :$

But to be honest, it didn't save us time, money, nor more importantly, "faff"....all it did was add to the amount of stuff we lugged around with us.

(...as I still took a "suitcase" stove, "..just in case!.." ...as you do!? ).

..and even though with our last MH, we carried the double electric hob and also had a BBQ point for the double gas stove, more often than not, when cooking outside, I'd still revert to using the single "suitcase" stove. ;-)

pepe63 - 2014-04-28 12:57 PM

Hi alan(snowie)..

We bought an "ordinary"(non-halogen) single hob when we first switched to a CB(..with the "..we may as well use the electric, we've paid for.." mindset :$ )..

We later replaced it with a Swan double hob(again non-halogen.)..

So...our thoughts based on the items that we used (..before anyone takes offence).

a)Both took a lot longer to heat up and cook, than the gas did...

b)They both threw out A LOT of downward heat(..we sat ours on silicon mats, sat on a chopping board)

c)They both took A LOT longer to cool down again after(which made tidying up and packing away awkward).

d)Although they were using the "paid for" electric, did they recoup their purchase costs? For us, I'd say no!...

e)Did setting up and using them(..and sometimes "juggling" between it and the kettle when on an "iffy" supply etc), make things easier..again I'd say no!

If you were setting up a" second kitchen" in an awning, then the "problems" I've highlighted probably wouldn't matter(..Although if you used a halogen hob, I presume these "problems" may not arise in the first place?..).

But for us, we found them to be a bit like a wind-out canopy, a driveway awning or Cadacs etc...in so much as they are the type of item that you feel you "need" because they're in the mags/accessory shops and /or everyone else seems to get them(..prior to sticking 'em in the loft or on *ebay... )

Ours got carted around for the last two-three years, without seeing the light of day :$

(*Just check out Mel's sale of "must have" items! Blimey Mel!..you've bought some "stuff you can't live without",over the years haven't ya!... (lol))

If it's just for occasionally griddling outside of the van, I'd just be using a *decent "suit-case" stove(s) and a wind-shield; http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/kampa-kitchen-windshield.html

It's how we cook now, with our "camping-van"..

(*something "branded" and not some cheapie, car-boot tat... ;-) ).

Bog-off Pepe!!! :D

It is simply that our way of motorhoming has changed, as have our type and size of vehicles. Some of the stuff would definitely had been used if we'd kept a MH with a garage to store it in, but we haven't so no point in hanging on to it 'just in case' as some do - others might as well make use of it instead.

I still have a small electric hotplate - it's quite an old one but works perfectly and heats up much quicker than the more modern versions and being smaller (no surround, just the solid hotplate on a stand) it is easy to store hence why I am using this instead of the larger one I'm selling - in use I just stand it on a tray so that I can move it if necessary to let it cool down. We too have a small suitcase stove which does get used a fair bit as it is an ideal alternative to a BBQ when used with a griddle pan - no different really to using a Cadac with the griddle plate but much easier to keep clean and store. Its better at least to get rid of stuff than have it gathering dust surely .... :-D

Mel B - 2014-04-28 11:48 PM

a) Bog-off Pepe!!! :D

b)We too have a small suitcase stove which does get used a fair bit as it is an ideal alternative to a BBQ when used with a griddle pan - no different really to using a Cadac with the griddle plate but much easier to keep clean and store. Its better at least to get rid of stuff than have it gathering dust surely .... :-D

Mornin' Mel...;-)

a) Bog-off?...Have you had a look at the Aberystwyth thread then...? (lol)

b)Yes those suitcase stove are great little things aren't they...and it's odd/amusing/interesting, that even in tenting circles, they're seen as the "beginners" stove, which, in order to "do it properly", you would move on from..

...but even then, after folk have bought their double hobs with grills, Cadacs and Cobbs etc, you'll still find 'em returning to using the little suitcase stoves.... (lol)

(Although we have found the electric hob very handy at home, these last couple of Christmases...)

Guest JudgeMental
I have the single burner gas canister stove that I bought in Spain last year as an emergency when my 2nd truma valve failed. it fits in gas locked between the two bottles, weight negligible, so will keep it as a back up. They're not cheap to run though as the little canisters don't last long at all.....

Hi, just go to Towsure shop (or buy online) and get one at 750Watts (3amp) for under £20. It will do all you want.

And yes takes a while to reach operating heat, as opposed to gas or a flash halogen, So put it on 5 mins before you want to start cooking. Job's a good un !!!!

Mike

pepe63 - 2014-04-29 8:35 AM

Mornin' Mel...;-)

a) Bog-off?...Have you had a look at the Aberystwyth thread then...? (lol)

I hadn't, but I just did ... got to page 2 then nearly lost the will to live so gave up ... 'teddy's at dawn' again I see!

We went to Steamer Trading and brought an induction hob, very easy to control the amount of power (amps) it uses, very little residual heat,.

Only downside was ensuring the pans were suitable (magnetic bottoms). As we scrapped al the aluminum pans, it was no problem

Rgds

At home I have found that the induction hob is better than gas when used with a steel wok as it heats the wok and only slightly the hob.

On our travels outside we use a gas Cadac unit powered from the van unfortunately the agents would only sell a 2 metre length of gas hose so we a close to the van. We have never had any problems with the wind affecting the Cadac.

Yet to find a suitable induction hob for the van.

If it takes longer to cook one has the benefit of a second or third aperitif!

Aldi have a Single Induction Hob at £29.99 for sale on Thursday 8th May.

2000W

10 settings, touch sensor buttons, child safety lock and LED display

3 hour timer

Automatic shut off after 120 minutes

Cord length: 150cm

Size: 28 x 36 x 6.5cm

Product reference: 58844

Archived