Bilbao/Portsmouth DFDS

tonyfletcher

Hi Tony. Yes they do get rough crossings, but we have been using the Bilbao run for some 15 years and not experienced anything bad. The English channel can be just as bad as Biscay and only once have we had rough seas there, then not all that ropugh.

Cheers

Alan

I have done the Santander back to Plymouth crossing a number of times. Never used DFDS.

A great way to end a trip - I have no problem driving thro' France but with limited time the Ferry allows me to have a break from driving and to relax.

The Bay of Biscay is renowned for being rough - but in our experience - the roughest part is invariably going round Brittany.

Stugeron is the best sea sickness pill in our experience.

It also helps to eat Pineapple as it tastes the same on the way up as it does on the way down.

Had one crossing like a millpond on this route end of October one year. The return was the opposite - captain took the ship out into the Atlantic but it was still so rough we had to stay in the cabins. I came across a brilliant video clip today but I don't know how to post on here.

Edit: You probably wouldn't want to watch it anyway! Have you read the other thread on here re ferries to Spain?

Archived