ICELAND TRIP

crbtaylor

crbtaylor - 2014-05-05 8:43 PM

At long last we have booked the ferry to Iceland for September, Any tips, hints do and don't welcome, How strict is the rule on taking food into the country?

Sounds great. What ferry route are you using?

If you don't mind me asking :-D

If you are a member of the Caravan Club, they have a fact booklet available produced by a member who did a tour of Iceland by motorhome some years ago (for all I know it may well have been updated since I read it).

spospe - 2014-05-05 10:04 PM

If you are a member of the Caravan Club, they have a fact booklet available produced by a member who did a tour of Iceland by motorhome some years ago (for all I know it may well have been updated since I read it).

Thanks for that tip, just printed off the fact sheet and its quite useful.

crbtaylor - 2014-05-05 10:10 PM

We are going Harwich to Esberg, Denmark. Then drive north through Denmark where we pick up the ferry.ship to Iceland via The Faroe Isles using the http://www.smyrilline.com.

Thanks for the info. And thanks too to Spospe. It's a trip we are interested in doing too, though not this year. Hope you have a brilliant trip.

Guest JudgeMental
Is September a good time of year to go? I have no idea, but have been up to Swedish Lapland out of season and snow was six feet deep......Mind you it was beautiful, and we had a fully winterised van and temps were -25

JudgeMental - 2014-05-06 9:00 AM

Is September a good time of year to go? I have no idea, but have been up to Swedish Lapland out of season and snow was six feet deep......Mind you it was beautiful, and we had a fully winterised van and temps were -25

Is not the ideal time, will be a little chilly but hopefully no snow . But there is more chance of seeing the Northern Lights the later in the year you go, but didn't want to risk going any later than mid september.Apparently the Northern Lights are best seen between November and March, but probably very cold then with risk of snow on the lower lands.

Archived