vignette swiss

derek pringle

hi all,

Wondered if anybody could help. My wife and I are thinking of going through Switzerland to Italy in June and would like to have the vignette sorted beforehand if we go. Problem is we are 4ton and the internet seems based on cars and up to 3500kg, where it is easy to buy over the web. Can anyone tell us the procedure for the heavier van please.

Thanks in advance for any help.

cheers

derek

Guest JudgeMental
No need to sort out before you go.....As you go through customs someone comes up to your van, you hand them the money in euros they hand you the vignette and a few Swiss francs in change. Not sure if it's a different procedure for over 3500kg though

This is probably as useful as most of the posts on the subject:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Switzerland-Heavy-Vehicle-Tax/31380/

Note that (as per the last post on the thread, you do need to pay for each day you remain in Switzerland (regardless of whether you use the roads or not), but if you leave and return (i.e. if you are passing through on the way to and from another country) the time out of Switzerland is not payable.

I found it a reasonably slick procedure at the border, but it was a quiet crossing place.

Our son worked in Switzerland for about 4 years and we visited him 3 or 4 times. Our van is 3850Kgs and at that time we could not get a vignette, instead we had to pay a daily charge.

We stayed for less than 2 weeks each time and it was cheaper than the vignette ( which we could not have). We obtained it at the border and no one has ever asked to see it on our visits.

My fading memory tells me it cost about half of what the vignette would have been.

You should be able to get the info on the internet. Just in case the goalposts have been moved.

As an aside there is a good site in Lausanne. It is camping Vidy - right on the lake.. As you approach, there is a gate on the left and it gives on to a "Aire". It has electric hook up and easy and convenient access to wash-up, toilets and showers. It cost about £12 nightly compared to the camp site which was about £28. It is owned and run by the campsite.

The site also gives free bus tickets for tourists and there is a pleasant walk or cycle along the banks of the lake. Not bad for a swim if water is warm enough.

Eating out very expensive !

We went to Italy last summer via Lucerne and I had to complete a lengthy entry vignette form at the border with the"help" of the non English speaking border guard. From memory our Rapido at 3800kg cost under 30euros for a month.bargain,? Anything under 3500kg is just a matter of paying at the border on entry. Don't forget to date your 3.8tonne vignette on the way back through Switzerland or you get told off in Swiss! Simples!!! *-)

Frank and Georgina - 2014-05-14 7:34 PM

We went to Italy last summer via Lucerne and I had to complete a lengthy entry vignette form at the border with the"help" of the non English speaking border guard. From memory our Rapido at 3800kg cost under 30euros for a month.bargain,? Anything under 3500kg is just a matter of paying at the border on entry. Don't forget to date your 3.8tonne vignette on the way back through Switzerland or you get told off in Swiss! Simples!!! *-)

thanks a lot Frank and Georgina, the little info given on Swiss tourist sites seem to indicate the cost is going to be much more than the contributors to this thread have explained. If we do decide to go the tolls will not deter us according to this forum,

cheers

derek

derek pringle - 2014-05-15 8:55 AM

thanks a lot Frank and Georgina, the little info given on Swiss tourist sites seem to indicate the cost is going to be much more than the contributors to this thread have explained. If we do decide to go the tolls will not deter us according to this forum,

cheers

derek

...the attached extract from the current form (which you will need to obtain and complete at the border)explains the costs (the bottom boxes relating to "Wohnmotorwagen")

The first column is the price per day for consecutive days (CHF3.25 per day, with a minimum of CHF25, and a maximum of the monthly charge). Then you have monthly and annual costs, and the last column is the 10 selected days cost (equivalent to the cost of 10 consecutive days, but useful if you wish to go in and out of Switzerland a few times, as the days do not have to be consecutive, but must be crossed off for all days physically in Switzerland, whether on the road or not).

Edit to add that the whole form is small enough to attach as a PDF, so the second attachment is it!

HTH

1336925003_SwissHGV.JPG.84dc0006aa78353b94ef759012ae275c.JPG

Form+15.91+2008.pdf

Archived