Insurance for eBike

JohnP

Guest JudgeMental
Stand alone bike insurance expensive. Household insurance a better bet....don't say it's an electric bike but a peddle assist......policy will probably only be valid when bike locked to an immovable object, so security when travelling important. I changed to L&V last year as last company would not insure over £1500, they seem pretty good to be honest and far more competitive then most......

Stand alone bicycle insurance is shockingly high.

I waited so that I was able to include mine as separate items when it came to home insurance time.For an extra £15 they are insured at home or away for £500 each, which is what I paid second hand.

I also have a Krypton lock which includes theft insurance provided that it is used.

gocro - 2014-05-12 9:17 AM

I waited so that I was able to include mine as separate items when it came to home insurance time.For an extra £15 they are insured at home or away for £500 each, which is what I paid second hand.

I also have a Krypton lock which includes theft insurance provided that it is used.

I wouldn't put much faith in the 'insurance' that comes with the lock, there are lots of threads on the net about it and them probably not paying out as they required you to send them 'broken' lock to them. If a thief takes it or throws it away somewhere you'll be lucky to get anything at all! Basically it is a good 'implied' selling point but that's about all, just one example below:

http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/539424-kryptonite-u-lock-guarantee-real.html

I wasn,t covered under my m,home insurance and my house and contents ins wanted far too much, In the end Barclays offered a cash back on house insurance and I went with them as our 2 e bikes were covered here and in Spain for free, hope this helps R Parker fess.

Our bikes are on the house insurance. A lot of bikes nowadays are over £1000 so Insurance companies seem to be waking up to the fact.

However be aware that some insurance companies view electric bikes as a "vehicle" because it is powered and either do not insure nor offer public liability insurance.

There was a thread some while back on this subject, so a search might pull up information.

Rgds

Should have added that joining the CTC maybe worthwhile as they offer quite a few member services, and if you are a bikie, its good to know current political thinking.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/membership

Rgds

Archived