Electric bike rack

gocro

When I got back from our last trip I noticed that my electric bike was teetering on the edge of the rack, just got around to fixing today ready for the MCC outing to Ireland. Bikes like mine that have the battery between the down tube and rear wheel have a longer wheelbase so they do not fit comfortably on the rails provided by Omnistore or Fiamma although you can buy extending ones for many pennies.

Luckily I have a couple of spare rack bits from previous vans and have been able to bolt an extra bit on.

20140512_141637.jpg.1eecb75a8526be70198f58b45f916d35.jpg

20140512_141643.jpg.5e3eac0af5e28e549e8e98c2ed82c441.jpg

Alternatively turn the handlebars 90 degrees so the ends of the forks sit in the rail (some pipe lagging keeps them from sliding around, then secure with a strap ... that's what we used to do with our full-sized bikes. :-D

Mel B - 2014-05-12 4:01 PM

Alternatively turn the handlebars 90 degrees so the ends of the forks sit in the rail (some pipe lagging keeps them from sliding around, then secure with a strap ... that's what we used to do with our full-sized bikes. :-D

We already turn the bars , the reason to add the bit on is that the distance between the wheels , the wheelbase , is four inches longer than a standard bike and this is the case for all bikes of this type.

JudgeMental - 2014-05-12 3:40 PM

remove front wheel, that way wheels wont obstruct lights either. I think there are brackets available to secure the drop outs..I'm sure I have seen them somewhere.This explains the principal. Or make your own up with stud.

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-516-Prologue-Rooftop-Carrier/dp/B001PQQFQQ

http://www.instructables.com/file/F91PZ6JGE056TKN

Your right, and it would only be the cost of a skewer from a bike shop, it could be fixed through the channel as a permanent fixture.If one drops into my hands I may do that anyway in the future, as the bike weighs nigh on 20Kgs without the battery.

Archived