Damp a question

Wirehaired

I have been reading posts on here with interest and enjoyed picking up some great information,we have had several threads re damp in Motorhomes,maybe I am missing something but in the 21st Century why do Motorhome builders use so much wood in their construction?these days there are many strong fabricated materials that could be used,look forward to comments that could help me understand why this is.

Cheers Wirehaired.

Wood is cheap and plentiful and motorhome builders don't really want their products to last forever. While longevity of a motorhome brand is desirable for reputation the reality is that if they were all built to a really high standard out of materials that didn't fail then A/ they'd be very expensive and B/ there would be a limited life market.

Bentley very nearly did themselves outt of business in the 1920s because their cars were built too well, they didn't go wrong very often and the owners didn't need to replace them. Bentley's first step to recovery was to make their wheel bearings to a lower standard so that they wore out and needed replacing.

D.

Thanks for reply,that makes sense from their point of view,its like everything these days in the past few months my fridge went down the river after only two years and my TV after three years,i don't bother having them repaired just buy new ones it works out cheaper,thats not an option with something costing tens of thousands.

Thanks again.

Guest pelmetman
Wirehaired - 2014-05-12 10:07 PM

Thanks for reply,that makes sense from their point of view,its like everything these days in the past few months my fridge went down the river after only two years and my TV after three years,i don't bother having them repaired just buy new ones it works out cheaper,thats not an option with something costing tens of thousands.

Thanks again.

If your looking to purchase a motorhome made from leak proof Glassfibre and where the only timber used is for quality cabinetry, then your better of looking at vehicles built in the 20 century......not the 21st ;-).....

In particular Autosleepers of the late 90's vintage :D..............They also have the added advantage of less complicated vehicle bases, which have the bonus of being cheap to run and repair B-)...............

Thanks Pelmetman,yes I have seen some of those autosleepers,i think some were Ford or Volkswagen based,I think I will be going for a van conversion,waiting for back end of year after my Holidays then will start the hunt for something.

cheers Wirehaired.

Archived