Which Scooter

StuartO

I am considering buying a scooter to carry in our MH's "garage" and would appreciate the benefit of those who have done this - especially those who have made mistakes in their choice, so I can avoid them!

It will have to carry two horizontally challenged people but only for relatively short runs. Something to prevent the OH feeling she will fall off the back would be a help!

I have a motorcycle licence.

Hi Stuart

We have a Honda PCX. We started off with a honda vision 110, but found it a little under powered for the two of us, and we were also on the limit of overload. Many scooters under 125cc have a of Max load of 165kg (26st) the honda pcx is 180kg (28.3st).. This load is the weight of the two people, their clothing and anything else carried (top box, helmets, shopping etc).

Our combined weight is around 25st. With the Vision 110 we would often struggle up hill and max out at around 50mph, with the pcx (125cc) we can comfortably keep up with traffic in 50mph roads and can and often do 60 to 65mph. Altogether a much better bike, only downside is, it is 15kg heavier at 128kg. I can still push it up the ramp without engine running into our MH garage though.

We have done well over a thousand miles now on the PCX, all pillion riding. A fine bike with good under seat storage, and larger than normal diameter wheels.

A top box on the back is a great back support for the pillion rider, I do not think my wife would ride on the back without the top box as it gives her extra security.

We have a Honda vision110 it weighs about 100kg has large wheels so soaks up the bumps,

Has a rear box that will take a full face helmet as will the under seat storage unit,

It's a very stable machine with great economy, my wife has quite poor balance especially after a bottle of vino but doesn't have a problem hanging on (lol)

Hi Stuart

I have to agree with Ipetchey, the Honda pcx 125 is a great scooter.

It will easily carry 2 people all day and very comfortable to, it also looks good.

Im not sure if you are looking at a new scooter but the dealer I bought mine from was doing 0% finance.

The only small down side I found is that the service charges are more than some other scooters.

Plenty of storage under seat and strap a top box on the back.

Andie. :-)

Anyone using a small scooter should fill the tank with the high octane petrol. It really does give more power, which is useful particularly when riding two up!

The difference in price will be 30 pence a tankful. I rest my case.

Check your motorhome is capable of carrying the weight of a scooter in relation to axle and overall weight limits. Many motorhomes have small payloads so you may need to check the laden weights beforehand and then add the weight of the scooter plus ancilliaries.

Hi.I also have scooter for sale.Its a Piaggio Liberty 125cc.I have been Motorhome owner for the past 14 years and have always owned this model of scooter.It has the larger wheels for comfort and is powerful enough to maintain 56 mph with both my wife and myself on board, which I find reassuring when in traffic.It is one of the lightest 125cc scooters on the market which considering payload and rear axle limitations allowed me to travel with my last Motorhome within the 3500kg limit.Unfortunately also due to age we have had to return to tugging,hence reason for the sale.

Regards

Archived