FIAT ENGINES

boxerbob62

A FRIEND OF MINE HAS BEEN LOOKING AT A 05 PLATE FIAT BASED MOTORHOME ADVERTISED AS A 2LITRE ENGINE WITH 87HP-- DOES THIS SOUND LIKE ITS UNDERPOWERED ? IT SEEMS TO ME 87HP IS NOT A VERY POWERFUL ENGINE FOR A MOTORHOME. HAS ANYBODY HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS TYPE OF ENGINE?-- OR COULD IT BE A MISPRINT? LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR POSTS.

Hi, Robert,

A quick look on 'wiki' reveals:- Fiat Ducato 2.litre JTD/HDi (2002-2006) -- 83 HP.

I was interested because my 2005 2.3.JTD. seems more than adequate -- and so it should be -- 110 HP !

As you can see, I used to have a 'Symbol', with the 1.9.TD. Peugeot 'boxer' engine, that was 89HP - O.K. for powering my compact campervan, but could 'run out of puff' on long /steep hills.

My 'new' 2005 Adria Twin, however, with its Fiat Ducato modified 'white van' chassis and the above-mentioned 2.3 JTD., threatens to run away at illegal speeds on motorways if you put your foot down too hard!

It all depends on what type of motorhome/ campervan your mate is considering,no doubt others on here will come up with comments and different experiences of the 2 litre engine to mine.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Colin.

MORNING COLIN

THE M/HOME HE WAS LOOKING AT IS A 5BERTH CARIOKA -- NOT SURE IF IT IS A MWB OR A SWB ,EITHER WAY IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IT WILL BE UNDERPOWERED --MY OWN VAN IS A BOXER CONVERSION VAN WITH A 2.2 TRANSIT ENGINE WITH 120 HP. NO COMPARISON REALLY !! I GET APPROX.37MPG ON A LONG RUN. DONT THINK THE 80 ODD HP WOULD GET ANYWHERE NEAR THAT .

Robert,

yes, that is a seriously big motorhome for that engine -- if you look here:- http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/ci/carioca/2005

you will see several of the Carioca 5 (or) 6 berth m/homes, all with different sizes of engine -- including one, in Newcastle -upon-Tyne, with the 2.0. litre engine which you refer to.

Surely it would struggle if your friend wanted to carry 5 people (are there enough belted seats?) and -- what about payload?

There must be better out there at the price.

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. Is it because you live so far away 'oop North' (perhaps it is even in Scotland?) that you feel the need to SHOUT on here Robert?

C.

OOOPS SO SORRY !!

i will whisper !!

actually the m/home you refer to in auto-trader at newcastle is the very one he looked at --very low miles,but it has had 3 owners, its priced to sell but my thoughts are whoever has owned it couldnt afford the diesel to put more miles on it !!

But it has good torque at 1900rpm, 140 lb/ft, which is what counts when pulling a heavy load. The petrol engine has more bhp, but much less torque, so would struggle to get going.

If you imagine a spanner on a nut, extra torque is like having a longer spanner to give more leverage, while bhp would move it round quicker once it got started.

During the last model period the 2 Ltr engine was by far the most specified.

No problem in Norway and Switzerland........everywhere else.... easy!

There is always a 'desire' for 'bigger and more powerful' is better???

I think it depends on what sort of roads you drive on because with only 87bhp and 140lbft torque in a big van you won't be able to keep up with the flow of traffic in a lot of situations and on motorways it will be hard to change lanes in heavy traffic. I reckon you need 50bhp per ton for comfortable driving in today's conditions. :-D

Guest pelmetman
Dunno what bhp old Horace has got :-S.............but its enough to get us him and a trailer down to Spain and back ;-).......................and going up hill I get to enjoy the view.......... as it passes slowly by :D......................

Muswell - 2014-05-21 6:24 PM

I think it depends on what sort of roads you drive on because with only 87bhp and 140lbft torque in a big van you won't be able to keep up with the flow of traffic in a lot of situations and on motorways it will be hard to change lanes in heavy traffic. I reckon you need 50bhp per ton for comfortable driving in today's conditions. :-D

I own one of these "underpowered" Carioca's and have to disagree with you. I have no problem keeping up with the flow of traffic. And that's fully loaded with a 150kg scooter on the back!

Unless you want to compete with the lane hoppers, you will have no problem crusing along with 60mph and pull out with a little bit of looking ahead.

Sure it's not the fastest out there and won't rip the tarmac up. Yes some hills you will need to downshift into 4th. But at no point you will be unable to keep up with the traffic. And as long as there are still people hogging the "crusing lane" with 50mph, nobody is too slow.

I first was a bit sceptic about the engine but it's all about budget. You will pay a lot more money for a 2.8 engined motorhome. Consumption is 22-25mpg and I am not driving 50mph like others who claim 30mpg......

Archived