Shoddy service, what do you do?

LordThornber

Maybe it's an age thing but since the clock nudged towards 50 I've found myself even more in tune with a certain Victor Meldrew.

People in all walks of life have bad days, I accept that but good grief I seem to be encountering it almost everywhere.

Answering emails reasonably promptly? Forget it.

Carrying out your promise? Nope.

Scottish Power was the energy provider at one of our properties. The tenant vacated, sent his reading, job done.

We ended the contract with Scottish Power, readings done, sorted. How wrong can you be? We did everything by their book, and still they failed.

Goodness knows how some less organised folk cope with these businesses.

Exasperated Of Blackburn 8-)

Never underestimate the power of the Subject Access Request. If you have been treated badly by a firm such that you think they have reneged on their duty of care, then send them a subject access request requesting all documentation concerning your case.

They have to by law send you all documentation as well as transcripts of any phone calls, all copy documentation both on computer and paper file.

It costs £10 but it ties them up in knots and I can almost guarantee that after sending in a SAR you start getting answers whereas before you get ignored.

Google Subject Access Request to get suggested wording as well as check out the Information Commissioners website.

http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/personal_information

As Landlord you should make clear that you are not wanting any info regarding your last tenant - but apart from that - you should be able to make them realise that if they have screwed up - you are due compensation.

It worked for us in similar circumstances - in fact when tenants move on - they ONLY issue we get is with the utility companies.

Interesting stuff that Clive, and thank you. I hope I don't have to resort to it..

At this stage of the game it's honours even, it should be all over and done with but of course we all know what can happen.

I wouldn't have minded so much had there been any issues with the tenant or with us indeed. But no, a simple straight forward transaction got completely arse end up.

Watch this space.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2014-05-16 1:36 PM

I wouldn't have minded so much had there been any issues with the tenant or with us indeed. But no, a simple straight forward transaction got completely arse end up.

Martyn

..... and the more that computers take over, in place of real staff, the worse it will get.

:-(

Guest Peter James
antony1969 - 2014-05-16 2:33 PM

call centres , they get stuff sorted , I'll just put you on hold

That winds me up more than anything. Shows how little they think of their customers complaints when they can't be bothered to take their calls so they put them through to a machine. Then charging them a premium rate is just taking the p*ss

Had a computer related problem with DVLA a few years back,registered a merc van in my name and received 2 log books must admit i checked one but only glanced at the other it seemed the same,6months later still trying to sort out the endless demands for parking tickets speeding and wrong taxation class,it took the DVLA about ten phone calls to explain i didn't own the second vehicle which was one letter different on the reg no.Every time i got through to human they assured me it was sorted then hey presto a week later another letter from DVLA demanding money saying i had road taxed it wrongly,in total it took a year nearly to sort out their mistake and was very stressful,nearly had the bailiffs round mums on one occasion,it seems if information is on a computer it is automatically the truth and you are a liar!

capcloser - 2014-05-17 11:44 AM

........ it seems if information is on a computer it is automatically the truth and you are a liar!

Ah yes. The dreaded combination of a computer and someone thick using it.

;-)

You said it malc we get this at work all the time,looking in warehouse for a specific item which isnt there,inform manager he says well computer says it is so you haven't looked properly,whole big factory is linked to a central system that continuously crashes,plus of course product has to be delivered from one area to another,in my case plastic caps for bottles like sunscreen etc,we usually have up to 100 pallets to check every day for the ones we want,very frustrating when you find later it hasn't been delivered yet but because it should have been computer thinks it has *-)

Our local council once stopped my direct debit for council tax because their computer said I'd moved.

Took a while to convince them that I hadn't ( it was someone with a similar address in another village who had moved ).

I then got a computer produced " aggressive " letter from the council advising me of the consequences if I didn't pay the outstanding debits that THEY had stopped.

;-)

Guest Peter James
In the interest of balance I rather liked the United Utilities Customer on the TV programme, berating the poor guys trying to stem the burst water main. In between swigs from a can of Special Brew she screamed 'It comes out of the sea, you get it for now't, we shouldn't have to pay for it' (lol)

Peter James - 2014-05-17 2:29 PM

In the interest of balance I rather liked the United Utilities Customer on the TV programme, berating the poor guys trying to stem the burst water main. In between swigs from a can of Special Brew she screamed 'It comes out of the sea, you get it for now't, we shouldn't have to pay for it' (lol)

It might be that some undesirable immigrants may be coming over here, but I think we have a lot of our own undesirables here, what a trollop that woman with the special brew was?

Guest Peter James
knight of the road - 2014-05-18 4:08 AM

Peter James - 2014-05-17 2:29 PM

It might be that some undesirable immigrants may be coming over here, but I think we have a lot of our own undesirables here, what a trollop that woman with the special brew was?

She looked like Mad Madge on a mobility scooter.

Another one hadn't paid their water bill for 4 years, so they went round and turned the main off under a manhole cover in the street. The customer turned it on again. So they went back, turned it off, and filled the hole with tarmac. The customer dug out the tarmac and turned it on again, So they went back, turned it off, and filled the manhole with concrete. Then the customer paid the bill.

Then they have a team going round trying to clear baby wipes and nappies out of blocked drains.

I bet these utility companies could tell us more horror tales of 'customers' than we could about them

Archived