Astra

Ninian

Hi, I'm currently in Spain and I've got the following on my Sky Box. Does anyone know if this is Astra 1or 2.

Network ID 0002

Transport Stream 07d4

I'm just above Barcelona getting everything except BBC1,2 & ITV, CH 4.

Thanks, Ken

Ninian - 2014-05-16 4:41 PMHi, I'm currently in Spain and I've got the following on my Sky Box. Does anyone know if this is Astra 1or 2.Network ID 0002Transport Stream 07d4I'm just above Barcelona getting everything except BBC1,2 & ITV, CH 4.Thanks, Ken

I don't know much about it but as you have not any replies as yet. I found this which may or may not help.

One comment occasionally made of this website is that it's a tad complicated to wade through! So this page will give you the briefest instructions for aiming your dish that I can manage. OK, are you ready? Here we go:-

Point your dish until you get a signal.

Got that? No? Ah well, on to Plan B.

Plan B

Assuming you've connected everything up and you've switched on the TV and digibox, press Services, 4, 6 on your Sky remote to get the Signal Test screen. The Network ID andTransport Stream readings will be 0000.

Point your dish to the east with the rim of the dish roughly vertical and in a series of slow stop-start movements turn the dish southwards. Do not swing the dish wildly across the sky - it'll never work. Slow and methodical are the keywords. When the Network and Transport digits change to 0002 and 07d4, you have a signal.

If the digits don't change, try altering the dish elevation slightly, turn the dish to the east again, and try again.

If the digits change but to a value other than 0002, you've found the wrong satellite system. Unplug the digibox for 30 seconds to reset it, turn the dish a few degrees eastwards away from that beam and then switch the digibox back on again.

Once you have a signal, carefully adjust the dish to raise the Signal Quality bar as far as it will go (it should be at least 40% of the way across) and press the Sky button to return to the main screen. Adjusting the dish also means checking the LNB skew. In this page you don't need to understand what that's all about but underneath the LNB housing there'll be a lock screw or nut. Loosen it and the LNB will then rotate. There will be a scale close to the lock screw, sometimes marked from 1 - 5. The normal setting for the LNB is the middle position but try moving it 1 click either side of normal to see if the signal quality improves. If it doesn't, leave the LNB in the middle position.

If you wish to use a signal meter, follow the instructions for connecting it to the dish, turn the digibox to the Signal Test screen as indicated above, and then turn the dish whilst watching, or listening to, the meter. At the highest signal indication, check the Signal Test screen. The meter might find Astra 19 or Hotbird instead of Astra 28, so make sure theNetwork ID is 0002. If it isn't, turn the dish out of the beam, switch off the digibox for 30 seconds to reset it and then try again.

In southern Europe, you might have to change the default transponder. On the remote, press Services and 4. Now press 01 (both digits) and then Select. Choose Default Transponderand key in 12129, go to Save New Settings and press Select. Now proceed with the dish as above.

In the UK you should get all available channels equally well but in various parts of Europe you'll find that some, especially BBC and ITV, will be more difficult or even impossible to pick up. That's because not all channels cover continental Europe equally and ultimately the only solution is a larger dish.

You might find that some regional variations of ITV1 and BBC1 are stronger than others. I've found for example that BBC1 NorthWest might begin to break up (and ITV1 Granada disappear altogether) but I can still get perfect reception on BBC1 London and ITV1 Tyne Tees. So experiment with the different regions - in most cases all you'll lose will be the local news.

However you should also make sure your existing dish is performing to its full capacity, and this means ensuring that it's accurately aligned and that the LNB is properly skewed. Checking the signal quality bar on the Signal Test screen won't do this adequately - it will only display the quality of the signal transmitted on the default transponder. To check the BBC or ITV signal, do the following:-

On the remote, press Services and 4. Now press 01 (both digits) and then Select. Choose Manual Tuning. Now enter the frequency for say BBC2, which is 10.773, H, 22, 5/6, and selectFind Channels. This should give you a screen similar to the normal Signal Test screen, but for the 2D beam. Now carefully fine-tune the alignment of the dish, paying particular attention to the LNB skew, to get the signal quality bar as high as it will go. This will maximise the dish alignment for the 2D beam and give you your best chance of picking up BBC/ITV with the dish you've got .

Cliff

Ninian - 2014-05-16 4:41 PM

Hi, I'm currently in Spain and I've got the following on my Sky Box. Does anyone know if this is Astra 1or 2.

Network ID 0002

Transport Stream 07d4

I'm just above Barcelona getting everything except BBC1,2 & ITV, CH 4.

Thanks, Ken

It's Astra 2 at 28.2. 07D4 is the default Sky transponder, 11778 V on the 2a north beam.

Archived