New TV

PJay

Can any one recomend a make/model 12v TV, preferably with built in DVD?

Our Tv in van does not have freeview, which we could have used at current camp site on pitch.

Our Tv now 6 years old, so thinking of replacing it, Must not be too big, about about 16 inches

PJay

Guest JudgeMental
try and get one with a analogue tuner as well as some sites down in Spain broadcast some of the main UK channels on analogue....I will watch this thread with interest, as have been after a new tv for a while..I like the panasonic viera. The cellos etc...get rubbish reviews

A large cello tv got good reviews on the gadget show for budget tvs but smaller ones may not be that good,we used to use a Tecnika tescos 16inch which produced black terribly on the screen and a poor viewing angle,treated ourselves to samsung 22inch which is great,mains only but not high power usage >:-)

When I googled, cello came up a lot. We do not have space anything bigger than 16in, in our current place. If we got bigger we would have to carry TV, and just put on bracket when needed, not really ideal, as more chance of damage.

As Eddie say's more sites in Spain (where we are currenty) have TV points on pitch. We where ok in Beni Carlo and Bennidorm (Arena Blanca (eddie)), but on current site which is anew one Marjal Costa Blanca, can't get Tv to work from it..Our current Tv does not have freeview, so this may be the problem here

Any way he got to see the cup final on German telly, the commentator got so excited that he kept reverting to English anyway!! AND his team won!!

So guys please keep the sugestions rolling, and when we get home we can look into it

PJay

Pleased with our Cello far better than a Camos we had, Marks & Sparks own branded TV's are Cello.

Need to make up your own minds as reviews can be misleading, Halfords brought out a new bike under their Carrera brand it got slated in the reviews and didn't sell very well, they relaunched the same bike unchanged under the Boardman brand it got rave reviews and they had problems keeping up with demand.

Get a TV with a decent picture then buy a separate speaker dock. Don't know why, but TV manufacturers seem unable to make TVs of any size sound decent. You can, however, get tiny speakers that sound fantastic. Maybe it's because they want to sell accessories.

For music, we've got a little JBL dock that I plug into my phone and it sounds superb although the volume isn't exactly going to blow the doors off.

There are some great bluetooth speakers but I think you would need an adapter for the TV.

I see Cello TVs are made in the UK which gave me a bit of a surprise. Not aware of any screens being made in this country so I guess they just assemble the components.

Well someone's got to mention the Avtex TVs. Quite expensive, but very good quality and come ready supplied with DVD, Freeview tuner, satellite tuner and ability to play sound through the van's radio. We've only got room for the 16" model, but it provides an excellent picture through our satellite dish. The sound is not superb,but as someone else said, that seems to be par for the course for modern TVs with their very thin frames around the screen. We generally find the sound OK, and it is good through the radio. The TVs can also play movies stored on a USB stick, saving you having to cart a load of DVDs around if that bothers you.

mike

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

We have bought and installed a new TV. Finished up buying an ALBA from Argos £89.99 (though last week they had an extra £10 reduction) 19 inch very flat with a DVD player

tried it out via our old Sky ariel, (as Dome will not work on our drive , due to position) Seems to be good.

Has 12v outlet also HMDI . Will have to see how it performs when we go over the pond, (should be OK)

It also has Freeview, which , we found when in some sites in Spain , we could have got UK Tv from it

For the cost , it's good value, as most we looked at where a lot mor money, and for the amout we watch it, I think this is a good price.

PJay

• 6 months later...

Further to my last posting,. Can any one recommend a speaker system, as the sound comes out the back, and would like to have it directed at the front. We are going to look into maybe wireing into the speakers in the van, as they are seldom used, any one done this? If so how easy was it?

PJay

Archived